That's a lot of gold....

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us
That's a lot of gold....

Post by Darolyn » January 15th, 2015, 12:55 pm

So I just calculated the amount of gold it would cost me to buy every tradable pet I don't already have. Just for kicks.

828,800, using Undermine Journal averages.

I better get to work.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: That's a lot of gold....

Post by Morlis » January 15th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I hear the statistical gears grinding!
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Yarl
Pet Score:5773
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Yarl » January 15th, 2015, 1:14 pm

Sometimes people list pets on the AH well below the going rate
I got a hatespark for under 5k

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 15th, 2015, 1:44 pm

I just had to laugh. I was making a list of all the tradeable pets I need so that I could auction hunt for them, and decided to add them up on a lark....828K....

Now, if I could make 1K a day, which is possible, and didn't have to buy ANYTHING else, which is impossible, I could have them all by the next xpac! (Assuming no more pets come out. Raiding with Leashes III, I'm looking at you!) ;)

Also, a bunch are things that will still drop, but I just had to see.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Annieb
Pet Score:13861
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Annieb » January 15th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Yarl wrote:Sometimes people list pets on the AH well below the going rate
I got a hatespark for under 5k
Deal of the century. Wow! /hat's off to you

Knots
Pet Score:9641
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Knots » January 15th, 2015, 3:08 pm

One thing to look for is bid prices on battle pets. I find that unlike most other items out there, for some reason people seem to list bid prices way lower than the buyout fairly often on battle pets. Since addons generally only show you buyouts it can be worth it to do some manual searches every now and then and look for good bid deals. I've gotten a lot of pets at 30%-40% buyout price that way.

Post by Guest » January 15th, 2015, 3:21 pm

If you spent 1 hour a day leveling pets using the Panda and WoD trainers then spent 1 hour a day doing 1 old raid each day, you would see your number and quality of pets go up quickly and make far more than 1k a day.

I only know this of course because guess what I do :o (I know right?)
I have likely sold more pets on the AH than I have bought by an order of magnitude and I don't sell many pets. I have almost an entire guild tab filled with extra pets I keep forgetting about. :oops: Panda Spirits I am sorry!

Of course, I have no plans on getting the TCG pets and such, that is real money I simply do not have and if I did have, I still probably would not. Personal choice on my part, but the thought that Blizzard could shut down WoW tomorrow and leave me with the remembrance of having spent real money on a string of digits on a now empty hard drive bothers me. Yet, spending 5 hours of my life grinding out badges is no problem ... Oh well, I am over 40, straight, male and a pet collector so you all already knew something was weird about me. :ugeek:

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 15th, 2015, 3:31 pm

But consider the amount of time it would take to grind for some of those pets.

When I see the drop rate of an Sprite Darter Hatchling is 1 in 8,000 it kinda blows my mind that I could possibly be camping out in Feralas for days killing low level creatures in hopes to possible see an Sprite Darter Hatchling drop.

Then I checked on the AH Armory and found the following prices for Sprite Darter Hatchling:

Area 52 Horde: 5k
Area 52 Alliance: 5k
Duratan Alliance - None found at this time
Aggramar Alliance - None found at this time
Arygos Horde 7k
Aman'Thul Horde - 15k

So if I''m on the right server with the right amount of cash I can just buy one and save alot of money. BTW I make my money by grinding for pets I know I can get like Pandarian Tamer drops and doing some easy power leveling so I can get more money from them. BTW those are current prices if someone wants those Sprites. I already have one if you're thinking of buying it and jacking up the price.

In the end 5k of gold for a very valuable rare pet is a much better value than days spent farming in hopes that the damn thing drops.

I don't mind doing raid runs for pets. The odds seem to be better and I get other things that I can sell that have value on the AH.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 15th, 2015, 3:39 pm

I need a Red Panda and a Pandaren Earth Spirit if you've got all those lying around ;) (I still haven't unlocked panda spirits or beasts of fable yet...though I think that's on this weekends List of Things to Do (tm)

My boyfriend is also over 40, straight, male, and was collecting before he stopped playing. Nothing too strange about that...

But seriously, I only have 67 tradeable pets left to get. At 828K, that's over 10K average per pet.

Food for thought.

Post by Guest » January 15th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Darolyn wrote:I need a Red Panda and a Pandaren Earth Spirit if you've got all those lying around ;)
Probably though I bet they are lvl 1

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 15th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Knots wrote:One thing to look for is bid prices on battle pets. I find that unlike most other items out there, for some reason people seem to list bid prices way lower than the buyout fairly often on battle pets. Since addons generally only show you buyouts it can be worth it to do some manual searches every now and then and look for good bid deals. I've gotten a lot of pets at 30%-40% buyout price that way.
I do most of my pet shopping on the battle.net website while at work, remote auction house, with Undermine Journal open. I got two Filthlings for 500g apiece a few weeks ago, by using bid not buyout, and watching until the last minute. :)

Also, my list includes everything I don't have, including profession pets I can't make yet, but plan to, fishing pets I haven't fished up yet, but plan to, and, of course, Lil' Leftovers.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 15th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Just out of curiosity I added up what I have spent on pets since WoD came out.

Hatespark the Tiny - 12k
Ore Eater - 6k
Nightshade Sproutling - 800g
Sky-Bo - 1200g
Servant of Demidos - 15k
Lanticore - 10k
Syd the Squid - 8k
Eye of Observation - 5.5k
Land Shark - 45k

As you can see I've picked up most of the harder-to-get ones (notably missing Lil' Leftovers tho) for just over 100k total. It's not too bad if you get lucky with a few purchases. :)

Now don't remind me what I paid for my Spectral Cub, Ethereal Soul-Trader, Viscous Horror, Bananas, Dragon Kite etc. Let's just say I bought them before the dupes destroyed their value. Several hundred k, and the pets are now worth less than 100k all together. Ah well, them's the breaks. :)

Post by Guest » January 15th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Thralkhar wrote:
Darolyn wrote:I need a Red Panda and a Pandaren Earth Spirit if you've got all those lying around ;)
Probably though I bet they are lvl 1
Plenty of Earth Spirits... lots of other pandas but no extra Red Pandas sorry. Remind me when you are on line and I will get you an earth spirit.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 15th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Darolyn wrote:I need a Red Panda and a Pandaren Earth Spirit if you've got all those lying around ;) (I still haven't unlocked panda spirits or beasts of fable yet...though I think that's on this weekends List of Things to Do (tm)

My boyfriend is also over 40, straight, male, and was collecting before he stopped playing. Nothing too strange about that...

But seriously, I only have 67 tradeable pets left to get. At 828K, that's over 10K average per pet.

Food for thought.
Pandaren Earth Spirits are pretty cheap, only 550g over on Area 52. Sometimes it helps to have a toon over on the populous realms when looking for pets on the AH (whereas it's better to have a toon on lower pop realms for farming rare pets like Minfernal).

To give you an idea about the potential number of pets that could end up on the AH: On this website I'm ranked around 150 for pet collecting on my main realm Area 52 yet if I used one of my toons on another realm I'd be anywhere from #30 to #50 in ranking. More pet collectors on a realm means more pets on AH which means lower prices.

BTW same Earth Spirit on my low pop realm where I got my Minfernal - it's 2k. Found it for 1.2k on a mid-level and 2k on another mid-level.

If you still need the PES by tonight reach out to me on LynneSin#1318 and I'll help get you a cheap one. Personally hold out for the Water. My PES is still like level 10

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 15th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Red Panda is unique and non-tradeable anyway. It's the one you get for completing the Beasts of Fable quests the first time.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 15th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Ohhh, so that's why I've never seen that one, lol! And why I don't have it on my list. Just call me a dummy, because obviously, that's what I am today.

I need sleep....been spending too much time on WoW and with pets.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 15th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Abbotta wrote:
If you still need the PES by tonight reach out to me on LynneSin#1318 and I'll help get you a cheap one. Personally hold out for the Water. My PES is still like level 10
My Water Spirit is one of my highest used pets...it's rarely not in my battle team, lol. I love that baby. Earth is the only one I still need, it was more a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'm hopefully going to open the spirit tamers this weekend...if I can figure out what I need to do, lol!

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 15th, 2015, 5:37 pm

I have an earth spirit you can have. I have a few extra of each, I use to do all the Pandaren tamers/elementals every day for months.

I'll send it to you later tonight.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Post by Guest » January 15th, 2015, 11:58 pm

Graven wrote:Red Panda is unique and non-tradeable anyway. It's the one you get for completing the Beasts of Fable quests the first time.
That would explain why I have so many other pandas and only one red. I should have known, but with now close to 700 pets in existence I let (quite) a few slip.

Side note I may start running BoF 2-3 times a week just for the lesser pet treats again. I do not know if it is worth the time or not though. It would save me 30 pet charms for other uses though. (6x5)

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » January 16th, 2015, 1:49 am

Abbotta wrote: When I see the drop rate of an Sprite Darter Hatchling is 1 in 8,000 it kinda blows my mind that I could possibly be camping out in Feralas for days killing low level creatures in hopes to possible see an Sprite Darter Hatchling drop.
This makes me REALLY glad I got it as a quest reward way back when. And REALLY glad I have some awesome friends that will farm things and when they happen upon pets they'll just give them to me. 1 in 8k, ouch.

I paid 10k for my Hatespark while just goofing around in Garrison General Chat. Jokingly, thinking no would agree to it since they had just came out that day and were 50k on the AH, I said "paying 10k for Hatespark, please save me from Molten Core maddness." Someone whispered me "Meet me out front." I figured I was being trolled, because that's just the nature of my server but just in case I went anyway. I ran MC once for the mount after that, then one more the first "last night" of the event and one final time on the actual last night...one dropped for me that night shortly before servers shutdown.

Just keep an eye on the AH Darolyn, you can often catch people that have no idea what they have or desperate for gold selling things super cheap. 4k for Gregarious Grell straight out of trade chat. 200g for Spineclaw Crab P/P even straight out of trade chat. 1k for Tuskarr Kite a few years back (read as many years before the "dupe" wave). I really hate trade chat and only have it enabled on my bank alt but it's worth it..sometimes.