Storm Peaks Snowstorm for Arctic Fox Kit

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Diokeeg
Pet Score:10440
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Storm Peaks Snowstorm for Arctic Fox Kit

Post by Diokeeg » December 28th, 2014, 11:22 am

I'm new to this site (and recently became obsessed with pet collecting), so sorry if this has been posted before. Does anyone have any advice for knowing when the next snowstorm will be in Storm Peaks? I have an alt parked there, but it just seems like a pain to keep checking every hour if there was already a storm this month. Is there a specific frequency that these occur (average number of storms per month)? Any addons that would help with this? This is the last pet I need for the achievement. Thanks for any advice on how to nab this little guy.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Storm Peaks Snowstorm for Arctic Fox Kit

Post by Peanutty » December 28th, 2014, 1:07 pm

AFAIK it's completely random, though I had a theory wayyy back early last xpac that it would always snow around 6 pm server time (at least it always seemed to, I caught snowstorms 3 days in a row). It's definitely not once a month for sure, it probably happens a couple times a day for 10-20 minutes. Having an alt there and checking every few hours is probably the best way to go. Best of luck!

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » December 28th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Welcome to the site and to pet collecting, Diokeeg! I'll do my best to answer your posted questions and then provide some additional information and tips from my own hunting experiences.

----------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have any advice for knowing when the next snowstorm will be in Storm Peaks?
  • Sadly there is no real way of timing the snow storms. They occur fairly randomly, last for varied amounts of time (I've seen them last 15 minutes and 1 hour), and have varied gaps in between them. I had a friend test their server so see if snow storms would occur at the same time on the same days (ie. Saturday at 1pm), and after rechecking a few weeks in a row they found that this was also not the case. It is literally about being in the right place at the right time.
I have an alt parked there, but it just seems like a pain to keep checking every hour if there was already a storm this month.
  • This is really the best method for watching for snow storms. When I was looking for my foxes I would check back every couple of hours and it took quite a long time before I logged in to a blizzard.
Is there a specific frequency that these occur (average number of storms per month)?
  • No.
Any addons that would help with this?
  • No.
----------------------------------------------------

Now for some tips on finding these elusive storms and foxes from my own experiences.
  • → Some people have stated that they are able to find snow storms regularly following a realm restart or server maintenance (typically Tuesdays). I have personally had success with this twice while helping friends.
    → When you are checking for snow storms on your alt, see if you have from friends from other realms to can cross-realm invite you (CRZ) to party. If they are equal or higher level than you, when they invite you to part you will be ported to their server. This will allow you to check multiple servers in one setting.
    → Using Blizzard Stone while in Storm Peaks does not work.
    → Connected realms and cross-realm zones can cause some complications with finding your fox. The snow storm must ORIGINATE on your server for the foxes to spawn for you. If you are on a connected realm and the snow storm originated on the other server, you will see the snow but not the foxes.
    → Since there is no way of knowing how long the snow storm has been going for or how much longer it will last, take the first fox you find regardless of quality. You can quality hunter after you tame him, or stone him later if you run out of time.
    → Bring a [pet]Terrible Turnip[/pet] with you! Terrible Turnip can the [ability]Weakening Blow[/ability] ability which will ensure that you don't accidentally slay your precious fox once you find him! I have seen someone do this before and it was painful to watch... she had to wait for another storm to get her fox. The [pet]Molten Corgi[/pet] has [ability]Superbark[/ability] which can serve the same purpose, but I prefer [ability]Weakening Blow[/ability] because it doesn't have a cooldown (unlike the 4 round cd on Superbark).

I hope that this is helpful and answer some of your questions about the Arctic Fox Kit. If you are on a US-Alliance server I am more than happy to do CRZ invites to help you search additional servers for snow storms. Feel free to add me for that, or if you have any other questions :)

Wakamaru#1375
@TamerWakamaru

Diokeeg

Post by Diokeeg » December 28th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll just keep using my alt and try the other tips you mentioned.

Riena
Pet Score:7197
BattleTag®:Riena#1582
Realm:Drenden-us

Post by Riena » December 28th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Wakamaru gave a very thorough answer, but I thought I would mention how I got mine.

I happen to be a very big fan of multi-tasking. There are a number of tasks for collectors that can regularly send you into Storm Peaks, at which time you can check for your fox.

- I noticed that you are still missing some of the Argent Tournament pets. The quests to earn Crusader's tokens with which to purchase these pets and mounts regularly send you into The Storm Peaks for one or two quests.

- There is a daily in Storm Peaks that has a chance to drop the White Polar Bear mount.

- Ulduar is now soloable to farm for Mimiron's Head.

These are by no means as reliable as the method you are currently using, but because logging into an alt that frequently would drive me crazy faster than you can say So Many Pets, this is the method that I used. If nothing else, the above methods will give you a few extra chances to catch it.

Best of luck!

Diokeeg

Post by Diokeeg » December 30th, 2014, 4:42 pm

:o Sure enough, while finishing up some work, I toggled over to WoW where my alt was parked and it was snowing! I got 3 Arctic Fox Kits, two whites & one poor. I don't care about not getting a rare as at least I completed the achievement, but I could always upgrade him to a rare with a stone. Do they make worthy battle pets?

BTW, it was snowing at 1:15pm server time on Proudmoore in case anyone wants to know. It only lasted long enough for me to get 3 and with much competition in the area around K-3, or whatever it's called.

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » December 30th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Diokeeg wrote::o Sure enough, while finishing up some work, I toggled over to WoW where my alt was parked and it was snowing! I got 3 Arctic Fox Kits, two whites & one poor. I don't care about not getting a rare as at least I completed the achievement, but I could always upgrade him to a rare with a stone. Do they make worthy battle pets?

BTW, it was snowing at 1:15pm server time on Proudmoore in case anyone wants to know. It only lasted long enough for me to get 3 and with much competition in the area around K-3, or whatever it's called.

Congrats Diokeeg! I'm with you on the rarity, with such a hard to find pet - take what you can get for your achievement and upgrade it later on. I used mine for a while in the Celestial Tournament, but have since changed some teams around. It's a pretty decent pet if you can find a place for it :)
@TamerWakamaru