Fool-proof Mr. Terrible, Carroteye, Sloppus Two-Pet Strat

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Fool-proof Mr. Terrible, Carroteye, Sloppus Two-Pet Strat

Post by Beave » December 7th, 2014, 10:01 pm

There are a few strategies online for this trio, but most of them require a 3rd pet who can hit pretty hard because one miss or crit by the enemy team can throw you into trouble. This setup doesn't require pets many people can't acquire (Spawn of Onyxia) or good RNG. It's fool-proof.

Team:
Pandaren Water Spirit with (Tidal Wave, Whirlpool, Geyser)
Any Dragonkin with a strong breath attack. I like Emerald Proto-Whelp in P/P
Leveler of any level

The entire gimmick here is that Mr. Terrible only has one attack, and it's Weaking Blow. You'll spend 15 rounds or more with you PWS at 1hp. Since Tidal Wave and Whirlpool don't do direct damage the don't trigger Mr. Terrible's spiked skin procs, he keeps attacking you for no damage and healing ever few rounds while you pound him and Carroteye with water attacks. You'll never have to face Carroteye. He dies on the back line.

Open with whirlpool. Mash tidal wave until whirlpool is off of cooldown. Whirlpool again. Continue to use whirlpool and tidal wave until Carroteye is dead. After 20 or so rounds you'll finally mix in a geyser then whirlpool combo to kill Mr. Terrible.

Eventually Mr. Terrible dies and you switch to Sloppus. Immediately cast geyser if available, otherwise whirlpool. You will get 3 rounds to attack Sloppus before he kills you, so you should be able to get your big-hitter attacks in. To open up Sloppus will cast stench which does no damage, then chew. Being faster you'll go first in the 3rd round. Assuming the reduced accuracy from stench didn't cause you to miss you can set up both geyser and whirlpool if you're lucky. PWS will die on Sloppus's third round.

After PWS finally dies select your leveler. Immediately swap him out. Don't even attack, This brief appearance is enough for experience.

Now use your dragonkin to beat down Sloppus who will hopefully be hit hard by geyser and whirlpool. It shouldn't matter either way. My Emerald Proto Whelp never failed to finish Sloppus off in about 12 fights leveling pets using this strategy.

It's not the fastest method, but it's pretty much fool-proof.
Last edited by Beave on December 8th, 2014, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: Fool-proof Mr. Terrible, Carroteye, Sloppus Two-Pet Stra

Post by Abashera » December 7th, 2014, 10:51 pm

I just tried this strat. I didn't bother with whirlpool, I just kept spamming Tidal Wave till both back line pets are dead.

Good thing there isn't a limit to how many turns you can take to win! lol

It takes quite a while. After Sloppus (finally) dies, just switch in the carry pet, switch back to Water Spirit, and mop up Mr. Terrible. Geyser > Whilrpool > then whichever is off cd.

DON'T FORGET TO SWAP IN YOUR LEVELING PET LIKE I DID!!!

My Whelp never got into the battle, so this is basically a Waterspirit solo.

I should have counted how many turns it took to kill the back-line. It would be good for a laugh.

Gorlab
Pet Score:4928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Gorlab » December 7th, 2014, 11:13 pm

While this certainly works it was just too slow for me. I have used the below strat effectively for 20 wins in a row leveling pets.

I used this line up:
1. leveling pet
2. Dancing Water Skimmer
3. Anubisath Idol

1. Open with the leveling pet and use any ability, it doesn't matter what. Mr. Terrible's attack cannot bring you below 1 so the leveling pet will live.
2. Swap to Skimmer
3. Cleansing rain
4. Pump charge
5. Pump attack
6. Pump charge
7. Pump attack
You can only be killed on rounds you attack so you will die on round 7. No biggie, switch to Anubisath. Your priority here is avoiding his seed which he uses after cleanse.
9. Sandstorm
10. Crush (he uses cleanse)
11. Deflection (he uses seed)
Repeat with this priority: Deflection if he will seed, Sandstorm when up, Crush otherwise. With Sloppus you want to deflect his chew ability. This is a 2 round ability so anytime you see the sheep if you have Deflection up use it, otherwise just use Sandstorm or Crush.

Pretty easy and quick!

Pandairi
Pet Score:3764
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Pandairi » December 8th, 2014, 12:57 am

Gorlab wrote:While this certainly works it was just too slow for me. I have used the below strat effectively for 20 wins in a row leveling pets.

I used this line up:
1. leveling pet
2. Dancing Water Skimmer
3. Anubisath Idol

1. Open with the leveling pet and use any ability, it doesn't matter what. Mr. Terrible's attack cannot bring you below 1 so the leveling pet will live.
2. Swap to Skimmer
3. Cleansing rain
4. Pump charge
5. Pump attack
6. Pump charge
7. Pump attack
You can only be killed on rounds you attack so you will die on round 7. No biggie, switch to Anubisath. Your priority here is avoiding his seed which he uses after cleanse.
9. Sandstorm
10. Crush (he uses cleanse)
11. Deflection (he uses seed)
Repeat with this priority: Deflection if he will seed, Sandstorm when up, Crush otherwise. With Sloppus you want to deflect his chew ability. This is a 2 round ability so anytime you see the sheep if you have Deflection up use it, otherwise just use Sandstorm or Crush.

Pretty easy and quick!
Hi just want to make a point that actually Anubisath Idol can solo both Carroteye and Sloppus if he uses stoneskin instead of sandstorm, it will only just take longer (With stoneskin you don't even have to deflect seed. I also tried not using deflection at all for sloppus and anub could still win by keeping up stoneskin and spamming crush). Hence if anyone doesn't have a dancing water skimmer, any pet with a heal can work since mr. terrible can't kill anything except with his shield which reflect damage.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 8th, 2014, 7:31 am

I tried the op strategy pretty much last out of the all comments here. :p But I'd say it's not fool-proof as it is now written. For example, using Whirlpool on cooldown can kill Mr. Terrible before you kill Carroteye. And I'm not sure I follow the part where I need to use Geyser to kill Mr. Terrible, then Whirlpool/TIdal Wave will finish Mr. Terrible, but now Geyser should be off cooldown for the first turn when facing Sloppus? The timing needs to be explained better for a noob like me. (Ok, it says that or Whirlpool if Geyser's not available, but Whirlpool isn't really doing any dmg.)iFirst try I got to Sloppus, did Whirlpool -> Geyser but Geyser missed because I had the debuff. I might have been able to kill him but I had the wrong 3rd pet trolol. I was at round 26 at that point. 2nd try my Whirlpool killed Mr. Terrible too early. 3rd time I tried a different timing with Geyser+Whirlpool to kill Mr. Terrible, resulting in enemy switching the stunned Mr. Terrible for Sloppus. I did get to use Geyser against Sloppus though, and wasted the other turns trying to kill Mr. Terrible in the backline with Tidal Wave, but he had his shield up for both rounds. Managed to still kill Sloppus & Mr. Terrible with my Spawn of Onyxia in 25 rounds.

Edit. Did another try where I tried to not use Geyser again for it to be off cd against Sloppus - but waiting to kill Mr. Terrible with just Whirlpool takes a lot of turns - resulted in 33 rounds in total. Then again, using Geyser twice to kill Mr. Terrible took the same 33 rounds (Whirlpool that was cast when facing Mr. Terrible missed against Sloppus).

If going the "kill both backline pets" way, Pandaren FIre Spirit with Magma Wave kills Sloppus a bit faster. With Tidal Wave it takes 39 rounds and with Magma Wave it takes 23 rounds (according to tooltip math, assuming no crits). Then I just finished Mr. Terrible with Eternal Strider. Took 30 rounds whereas the Water Spirit solo took 55 rounds (I'm a masochist apparently), because.

Then I tried Eternal Strider + Anubisath Idol using Deflection, and that took 30 rounds as well. Using Stoneskin but not Deflection (except once when my Idol got low) it was 30 rounds again. Sandstorm + Deflection 33 rounds. Miss, miss, miss. Idol against Carroteye feels nice and fast, but killing Sloppus is really slow due to accuracy reduction especially during Sandstorm. But maybe wave animation makes the PWS strat slower in real time and not just rounds.

First strategy might be the fastest in terms of rounds when all stars align and also a Dragonkin is good against Sloppus, but for me it needs some clarifications. Thanks for all the different strats though!

Gorlab
Pet Score:4928

Post by Gorlab » December 8th, 2014, 11:13 am

Pandairi wrote: ...
Hi just want to make a point that actually Anubisath Idol can solo both Carroteye and Sloppus if he uses stoneskin instead of sandstorm, it will only just take longer (With stoneskin you don't even have to deflect seed. I also tried not using deflection at all for sloppus and anub could still win by keeping up stoneskin and spamming crush). Hence if anyone doesn't have a dancing water skimmer, any pet with a heal can work since mr. terrible can't kill anything except with his shield which reflect damage.
Sorry I am not seeing what the advantage is? My strat already has the Idol solo'ing both of them and as you stated yours is slower, yes? The whole point behind my strat was for faster fights for leveling pets so slower is worse.

Also any pet with Pump will work in place of a strider. (Though I imagine anyone who leveled pets in MoP has Striders. :)) The key is you need a big enough attack to kill him after you get to 1 hp, or alternatively any sort of damage reducer that prevents your pets death. Having your pet die on the 2nd pump attack actually is better than your pet living as it does nothing if it lives with 1 hp. Really there are a lot of pets that can fill that first slot, I just wanted to do it faster than a 10 minute fight!

Another side note, if your first pet can do any sort of real damage you don't need cleansing rain, just the 4 pumps. I found that I needed cleansing only for low level pets.

Beave

Post by Beave » December 8th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I made a couple minor edits to clean things up for those confused. Geyser and Whirlpool may not be off of cooldown when Sloppus comes in. You may have to cast one tidal wave, then whirlpool, then geyser.

Beave

Post by Beave » December 22nd, 2014, 12:53 pm

Interestingly enough, Magma wave does proc the thorn skin and kill you. Tried to tweak this strat for improved times today with Lil' Rag and he dies.

Vipers
Pet Score:3725

Post by Vipers » December 22nd, 2014, 1:51 pm

This one takes about 17 rounds.

1 - Mirror Strider [HS] (1-2-2)
2 - Emeral Proto-Whelp [PP] (1-2-1)
3 - Carry

alternative to slot #1 = Aqua Strider [-] (1-2-2)

vs Mr. Terrible
- Pump > Cleansing Rain > Pump > Pump > Water Jet

vs Carroteye
- Pump and your strider should die
- Send the carry pet in and immediately switch out to Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Emerald Presence > Breath until Carroteye dies

vs Sloppus
- Proto Strike > Breath until sloppus dies
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 22nd, 2014, 3:47 pm

Beave wrote:Interestingly enough, Magma wave does proc the thorn skin and kill you. Tried to tweak this strat for improved times today with Lil' Rag and he dies.
Weird. I didn't have issues with Pandaren Fire Spirit's Magma Wave.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 22nd, 2014, 5:50 pm

Iibis wrote:
Beave wrote:Interestingly enough, Magma wave does proc the thorn skin and kill you. Tried to tweak this strat for improved times today with Lil' Rag and he dies.
Weird. I didn't have issues with Pandaren Fire Spirit's Magma Wave.
You want a magma wave that is less damage than what spiked skin blocks. As long as your wave is fully blocked, you don't take reflected damage. Rag's does too much while the fire spirits is less so it works.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 22nd, 2014, 6:21 pm

Ahh so that's the gimick. If the attack doesn't actually deal any damage you don't take the spikes damage from the attempted attack. Kinda makes sense but also not obvious in the end. Really makes these Spike + Shield abilities less useful but I guess other than legendary PvE opponents there probably isn't anyone who has shields strong enough to completely block many attacks.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 6th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Bit of a necro, but wanted to update this with some new info. As I said before, if the magma wave is lower damage than the amount blocked by Spiked Skin, then it won't proc the reflected damage. I found the best pet for this was the Molten hatchling and here is why:

1. All breeds do a magma wave less than the Spiked Skin amount, so they are safe to use.
2. Since it is a beast and multiplicative damage bonuses are only applied after additive/subtractive bonuses, it's magma wave will end up being blocked by Spiked Skin (no reflect damage) but will apply the beast racial bonus to the backline pets. My P/S breed was doing 142 damage to the back row.

With a P/S Molten Hatchling it takes about 12 rounds of magma wave to kill Carroteye on the back row (the Molten Hatchling gets beast racial pretty quick). I paired it with a Snarly to sweep with really good results. Here is what I did:

R1: Carry Pet attack.
R2: Swap to Molten Hatchling (take a hit)
R3-14: Magma Wave until Carroteye is Dead

This was the tricky point. I have an addon that shows me when love potion is up. It just so happens that I can cast Magma Wave 2-3 more times here until Love Potion is off cooldown and his shield was about to fall off. I swapped Snarly in on the Love Potion Round and did the following:

Rip
Blood in the Water
Surge (kills the First pet).

Sloppus comes in with very little health left.
Rip
Surge (sloppus usually dies here for me)
Blood in the Water (I *believe* it should always hit due to it's mechanics with bleed...I haven't had it miss yet).

It's possible you can swap in Snarly right after you kill Carroteye. I'll have to play around with it. Also, the different breeds might take an additional round of Magma wave to kill Carroteye. I don't have any to try. Of course, you can keep magma wave going till both back row pets are dead, kill off your Molten Hatchling by attacking Mr. Terrible, then sweep with Snarly at the end anyways. Lots of options to play with.

Stormseeker
Top Rater
Pet Score:6801
BattleTag®:Stormseeker#1145
Realm:Anvilmar-us

Post by Stormseeker » January 6th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Just thought I'd throw my idea out there since i found one that works well for me. I use [pet]Snarly[/pet] with [ability]rip[/ability], [ability]surge[/ability], and [ability]blood in the water[/ability]. 2nd pet is a P/P [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] with [ability]snap[/ability], [ability]renewing mists[/ability], and [ability]shell shield[/ability]. Carry pet can be any. Takes about 25 rounds so not fast but leaves plenty of room for misses and even some room for other team to get crits.

1: rip
2: blood in the water
3: surge (mr. terrible dies)
4-6: surge (you can take a chance and try to rip then blood in water but if he attacks 2nd round like he has for me once or twice then surge would be better.) *snarly dies here*
7: carry pet selected then switched for Emperor Crab
8: shell shield
9: renewing mists
10: snap
here on out spam snap until you need to renew shield and mists. since crab is faster than sloppus you'll get them up without taking any extra damage. Also note that on round carroteye dies i don't renew mists since not needed and I know i'll kill him. Guess you could but not needed.

even with other team getting 3 crits and my crab missing 4 times in a row (stupid rng) my crab had plenty hp left every time. At least 3/4 health. Like i said not the fastest but certainly is safe and doesn't take 30+ unless rng is just really horrible. I might try to see how surge works for crab but 90 points per round on sloppus I think would add up too much in the end and first attack not needed since you're faster than him.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Vipers wrote:This one takes about 17 rounds.

1 - Mirror Strider [HS] (1-2-2)
2 - Emeral Proto-Whelp [PP] (1-2-1)
3 - Carry

alternative to slot #1 = Aqua Strider [-] (1-2-2)

vs Mr. Terrible
- Pump > Cleansing Rain > Pump > Pump > Water Jet

vs Carroteye
- Pump and your strider should die
- Send the carry pet in and immediately switch out to Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Emerald Presence > Breath until Carroteye dies

vs Sloppus
- Proto Strike > Breath until sloppus dies
I definitely liked this as the fastest of the carry-pet strats (I had to use my aqua strider as I don't have a faster mirror strider). The only time it really had an issue was when the first pump attack critted and killed Mr. Terrible, which resulted in me no having Pump prepped for the Water Jet on Carroteye. Actually I think if I paid closer attention I probably had 2 rounds vs. Carroteye since his attack hits for 333 - could probably have just done Pump > Pump (strider dies here) w/o issue.

Anywho, just my 2 cents (and it will feel like you are about to lose, but remember the Proto is faster than Sloppus and he only hits you every other round - so if his attack reduced you to 16 health you'll still get to hit him twice more with Breath. Now that I am thinking about it, I think I *did* have 1 round where I had to use my lvl 16'ish cary pet to do 1 final hit. Still not bad, though this is one of the longer ones so I wouldn't use it for actual carry-pet grinding (I'm just running 6 menagerie dailies a day so may as well get some XP out of those that I can).

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 7th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Rendigar wrote: I definitely liked this as the fastest of the carry-pet strats (I had to use my aqua strider as I don't have a faster mirror strider). The only time it really had an issue was when the first pump attack critted and killed Mr. Terrible, which resulted in me no having Pump prepped for the Water Jet on Carroteye. Actually I think if I paid closer attention I probably had 2 rounds vs. Carroteye since his attack hits for 333 - could probably have just done Pump > Pump (strider dies here) w/o issue.
I like that one the best as well. I actually sub in Yu'la in place of the whelp for a what I think is a faster kill (life exchange, emerald presence, emerald breath ... in reverse order). I haven't tested that out yet to verify if it is indeed faster though. Just feels that way.

Vipers
Pet Score:3725

Post by Vipers » January 7th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Jerebear wrote: I haven't tested that out yet to verify if it is indeed faster though.
The thing with Yu'la using Breath, Emerald Presence, and Life Exchange, is that you have to give up on Proto-Strike (Lift-Off doesn't do enough damage).
Why is giving up on Proto-Strike such a big deal? Well, It's one of those situations you can only see if you live it, the 25% hit penalty can REALLY hurt you. I know it seems harmless and very tempting to Breath when Carroteye dies in 2 turns, but Proto-Striking to avoid Stench is a lot more important than it looks. One other thing is the huge damage variation from Breath, I am almost sure I would prefer using Tail Sweep from someone else if it wasn't for Stench.

I am not even sure you can survive long enough to try Yu'la without life exchange. Don't forget Carroteye has 319 speed.
Rendigar wrote: The only time it really had an issue was when the first pump attack critted and killed Mr. Terrible, which resulted in me no having Pump prepped for the Water Jet on Carroteye.
RNG, man. Sometimes it can really screw things over. I personally haven't had the chance to see this happen, but I know it's a possibility. The thing with Pump > Pump though, is that it will land on his Ironbark, which could be a headache, but 3 Breaths can easily take him down anyway without major consequences, as he uses Aged Yolk on cooldown.
Last edited by Vipers on January 8th, 2015, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 7th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Vipers wrote:
Jerebear wrote: I haven't tested that out yet to verify if it is indeed faster though.
The thing with Yu'la using Breath, Emerald Presence, and Life Exchange, is that you have to give up on Proto-Strike (Lift-Off doesn't do enough damage).
Why is giving up on Proto-Strike such a big deal? Well, It's one of those situations you can only see if you live it, the 25% hit penalty can REALLY hurt you. I know it seems harmless and very tempting to Breath when Carroteye dies in 2 turns, but Proto-Striking to avoid Stench is a lot more important than it looks. One other thing is the huge damage variation from Breath, I am almost sure I would prefer using Tail Sweep from someone else if it wasn't for Stench.

I am not even sure you can survive long enough to try Yu'la without life exchange. Don't forget Carroteye has 319 speed.
I've never had any trouble with it this way:
Pump the second guy and die
Carry Pet then swap to Yu'la
Emerald Presence
Breath until the 2nd guy dies.
Life Exchange on the first round vs sloppus to ensure it hits...even if dragonkin racial is up
Breath, keeping emerald presence up.

It definitely isn't 100%, but I haven't had any trouble out of that.

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11274
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 7th, 2015, 8:52 pm

I read a bunch of the "how tos" on WoWHead [url]http://www.wowhead.com/npc=85656/mr-terrible#comments[/url], the spam tidal wave with the Pandarian Water Spirit took 53 rounds to complete the whole battle.

There is a strat by By lizbeth5782 (512 – 5·7) 16 days ago (Patch 6.0.3) that worked well. I did try it a number of times, as long as you catch Mr. Terrible's attacks correctly.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 8th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Vipers wrote:RNG, man. Sometimes it can really screw things over. I personally haven't had the chance to see this happen, but I know it's a possibility. The thing with Pump > Pump though, is that it will land on his Ironbark, which could be a headache, but 3 Breaths can easily take him down anyway without major consequences, as he uses Aged Yolk on cooldown.
Oh, absolutely - and I still won the fight, it was definitely a quick and easy process. Some of the other strats I've seen are so prone to RNG failures caused by enemy crits, it's actually kind of fun having one where it's bad for ME to get one. :)