What are the hardest pets to get in Warlords of Draenor?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Enigmaticclarity
Realm:Medivh-us
What are the hardest pets to get in Warlords of Draenor?

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 16th, 2014, 8:41 am

In Mists of Pandaria content (excluding pets added to old world content during the introduction of pet battles, which would include pets like Minfernal or Crawling Claw), I'd say the hardest pets to get (at least until dupers put them on the AH) were the Viscous Horror and Spineclaw Crab. All of the Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar raid pets are fairly difficult to get as well, although they dropped for non-pet collectors enough to be readily available on the auction house.

What are the rarest pets that are the hardest to get for pet collectors in Warlords of Draenor content? I don't have a great feel for them yet, but I'm trying hard to get that feel to know which ones to particularly be on the lookout for.

Beastlyserenity
Pet Score:3133
Realm:Draenor-us

Re: What are the hardest pets to get in Warlords of Draenor?

Post by Beastlyserenity » December 16th, 2014, 9:26 am

Lil'leftovers seems super rare on my server. I have never seen it in the AH, and I check often.
Same for Ore eater. I have never seen that guy drop from my lvl 3 mines, nor have I seen it in the AH.
I feel their drop rate might be buggy/too low. It might be raised eventually.

Hatespark is also pretty rare, being obtained with a low drop rate from the worst raid ever.
I've actually seen less of him in the AH and his price rising, not dropping.

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » December 16th, 2014, 9:27 am

Enigmaticclarity wrote:In Mists of Pandaria content (excluding pets added to old world content during the introduction of pet battles, which would include pets like Minfernal or Crawling Claw), I'd say the hardest pets to get (at least until dupers put them on the AH) were the Viscous Horror and Spineclaw Crab. All of the Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar raid pets are fairly difficult to get as well, although they dropped for non-pet collectors enough to be readily available on the auction house.

What are the rarest pets that are the hardest to get for pet collectors in Warlords of Draenor content? I don't have a great feel for them yet, but I'm trying hard to get that feel to know which ones to particularly be on the lookout for.
I'd say Lil' Leftovers is probably near the top of the list for non-wild pets...the ironclaw scuttle perhaps for the wild pets?

Enigmaticclarity

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 16th, 2014, 9:42 am

Yea, it does seem that the non-crafted profession pets are pretty tough. The Land Shark is probably even tougher than Ore Eater and Lil' Leftovers because lunkers are so hard to fish up individually, yet you have to get 50 of them just to get that one pet. I have toons on four realms, and there are six total Ore Eaters on the AH across them all, seven Lil' Leftovers, but exactly one Land Shark.

Hatespark the Tiny isn't terribly rare right now, but it will be in a year or two. It's going for high prices because it's extremely popular among pet collectors who run the new MC but don't end up getting the pet. The popularity should die down a bit once people aren't seeing other raid members loot the pet while downing Ragnaros.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » December 16th, 2014, 10:34 am

I think [pet]Servant of Demidos[/pet] might be one of the more difficult ones to get too. I saw you needed a group to kill the mob and it only has a small chance to drop the pet, and I saw one on the AH for 15k when I had only previously seen them at 25-40k, so I bought it. Don't know if I got a good price, but it's another one off the list for me. :)

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » December 16th, 2014, 11:24 am

Graven wrote:I think [pet]Servant of Demidos[/pet] might be one of the more difficult ones to get too. I saw you needed a group to kill the mob and it only has a small chance to drop the pet, and I saw one on the AH for 15k when I had only previously seen them at 25-40k, so I bought it. Don't know if I got a good price, but it's another one off the list for me. :)
Good buy there, Servant of Demidos is a really good pet.

I agree on Lil Leftovers being nasty to aquire. Ended getting one through a random trade that cost me an eye of observation, afer wasting a goodly amount of gold on trying to make food. Bought both nightshade sproutling and ore eater on ah.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 16th, 2014, 6:31 pm

For me it's probably Servant of Demidos. Haven't seen one in AH and since I'm horde, it's not easy to just go and check if it's up. I've killed Demidos once, surprisingly didn't drop a pet to any of the 4 group members. But, it still might have a reasonable drop rate meaning it wouldn't require that many kills if I just decided to try each day (haven't checked the drop rate!). I don't still know what qualifies as hard to get. Fishing pets are just a matter of hard work, but they're not difficult because it's quite simple to just stand still and fish. ;) And you do get lunkers at a pretty steady, though slow, pace. Lil' Leftovers is probably difficult to see on AH, since I don't think there are many who use cooking to create food (Barn provides best feasts ready-made, I wish it gave the meats instead :/), and Lil' Leftovers seems to require a lot of cooking to see one. But since I've seen all but Servant of Demidos in AH and bought most if not all of them - and since it's still early in the expansion - I don't know whether the current tradeable pets are that hard to get compared to something like Viscous Horror.

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » December 16th, 2014, 7:45 pm

See, I had an easier time with Servant of Demidos than Eye of Observation...at least you can 2-3 man Demidos, Eye of Observsation mob required 5 players to even get started, and is at the very back of a much harder to get through area. Glad I found a route up the mountains in back to get to him quicker on that one :)

Enigmaticclarity

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 18th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Is there any reason for either the Eye of Observation or Servant of Demidos to be more or less available than the other? Looks like they both have roughly the same drop rate and that they drop from bosses that only show up during a rotating daily, so my first guess is they'd both be available in roughly equal amounts.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 18th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I think you have to quantify 'hard' for me to provide a real opinion, but operating under the assumption you have access to all crafting skills (I always have alts maxed in everything), and you will be playing in the content anyway, then the fishing pets are the "hardest" in terms of the sheer hours needed to catch the 100 lunkers to buy them both (when the 2nd is added in).

Even catching 1 lunker every 100 casts (assuming 12 seconds per on average), you are talking about 16 hours and 40 minutes at a minimum. I have heard of people going 300 casts between lunkers, so this could be much, much worse.

The various drops, while not high % chances, are much easier in time taken. Considering that if you get in a group for one of the apexis dailies you can finish in about 10-15 minutes on any given trip (remember, you were going to be there anyway). So if the rare is up, you take him on. Odds are, before you've made 66 attempts at each boss, you will have seen the pet drop a few times (and hopefully won the roll for it).

Lil'Leftovers if nothing else you can work on him after you've fished for 16+ hours. You'll have plenty of fish to make feasts with. :D And if you have a skinner out there getting cloth and leather for your crafters to supplement your barn(s), or just because it lets you get 2 things worked on at the same time, you'll have plenty of meats as well. Just spread your depredations a bit, so you have a wide variety.

The reputation pets are basically nothing more than a couple hours of grinding that you'll do mostly doing your apexis dailies anyway. While you are at it, make sure you have a level 2 barracks and the Gorgrond Outpost "Fight Club" (shhhhhh), may as well get a few more reputation/achieves done while you're at it - plus the buff from the gladiator speeds up killing insanely (especially coupled with the other 2 buffs you can get from the mobs/environment - albeit only for the Gorgrond-related faction).

The most painful pet to get for most will be Hatespark the Tiny. I used all my luck in WoD by getting this guy on my first (and so far only) trip through Molten Core. Unless you have someone leading and a group that listens, this may be the most frustrating waste of dozens of hours (with a good run taking 1.5-2 hours, and bad ones running 4+, with no guarantee of a pet at the end).

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » December 18th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Enigmaticclarity wrote:Is there any reason for either the Eye of Observation or Servant of Demidos to be more or less available than the other? Looks like they both have roughly the same drop rate and that they drop from bosses that only show up during a rotating daily, so my first guess is they'd both be available in roughly equal amounts.
demidos spawn when either horde or alli have assault on socrether high, on the other hand orumo can spawn from both assault shattarah harbor and assault on heart of shattarah, meaning he has double chance of spawning.
i got eye of observesion 5-6 times already, and there were times that 3 out of 5 got the pet. i killed demidos about 10 times and haven't gotten a single pet (or anyone that were with me)

Enigmaticclarity

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 18th, 2014, 2:44 pm

That jibes with what I'm seeing on the realms I have toons on, which is about a dozen Eye of Observations on AH but only three Demidos pets.

Enigmaticclarity

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 18th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Rendigar wrote:I think you have to quantify 'hard' for me to provide a real opinion, but operating under the assumption you have access to all crafting skills (I always have alts maxed in everything), and you will be playing in the content anyway, then the fishing pets are the "hardest" in terms of the sheer hours needed to catch the 100 lunkers to buy them both (when the 2nd is added in).

Even catching 1 lunker every 100 casts (assuming 12 seconds per on average), you are talking about 16 hours and 40 minutes at a minimum. I have heard of people going 300 casts between lunkers, so this could be much, much worse.
Definitely the Land Shark is the least common pet I've seen on AH. They're adding a second one? Have they said what it will be?

Morthya
Pet Score:5514
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Morthya » December 18th, 2014, 5:37 pm

The second one is the sea calf I believe - it's already in the list of collectable pets, but not available in game yet.