3d printing warcraft pets?

A place to discuss anything and everything else.
Prudene
Top Rater
Pet Score:5067
Realm:Caelestrasz-us
Re: 3d printing warcraft pets?

Post by Prudene » December 16th, 2015, 8:44 pm

its so true :) just doing a 3d printer search will bring up a host of options.. mix with the 3d pen.. and wow! the sky is the limit. they are costly though..the kids one is about £300, and the better ones go up to about £5k. am totally gobsmacked by this technology - simply stunning!

Annieb
Pet Score:13936
Realm:Arathor-eu

Re: 3d printing warcraft pets?

Post by Annieb » December 27th, 2015, 2:23 am

The sky is truly the limit: there are printers coming into pre-production now to print (grow) tissue for transplant using stem cell technology. Our grandchildren are going to be amazed that anyone ever died waiting for an organ transplant. :o

I have used a 3D printer myself and they are COOL. (I'm an electrical engineering biotech nerd who gets paid to play with this stuff)

Here's a quote from Nature:
Additive manufacturing, otherwise known as three-dimensional (3D) printing, is driving major innovations in many areas, such as engineering, manufacturing, art, education and medicine. Recent advances have enabled 3D printing of biocompatible materials, cells and supporting components into complex 3D functional living tissues. 3D bioprinting is being applied to regenerative medicine to address the need for tissues and organs suitable for transplantation. Compared with non-biological printing, 3D bioprinting involves additional complexities, such as the choice of materials, cell types, growth and differentiation factors, and technical challenges related to the sensitivities of living cells and the construction of tissues. Addressing these complexities requires the integration of technologies from the fields of engineering, biomaterials science, cell biology, physics and medicine. 3D bioprinting has already been used for the generation and transplantation of several tissues, including multilayered skin, bone, vascular grafts, tracheal splints, heart tissue and cartilaginous structures. Other applications include developing high-throughput 3D-bioprinted tissue models for research, drug discovery and toxicology.
Awesome, right?