If you won the lottery

A place to discuss anything and everything else.
If you won the lottery

Post by Guest » January 15th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Someone mentioned in another thread that if they won the lottery one of the things they would do is buy the collectors editions of WoW they do not own. I can see that.

However, I want to know the one thing you would do if you won the lottery and could only spend the money in one place.

I know what it is for me, I would fund a medical trust to assist disabled people who could work if treated, but cannot now and who cannot get funding elsewhere. It is a subject near and dear to my heart for obvious reasons. It is also something that could likely only happen by the off chance of winning a lottery or some similar windfall.

So, what would You do? One thing only and why?

Re: If you won the lottery

Post by Guest » January 20th, 2015, 12:24 am

Apparently I am the only one who thinks about winning the lottery.

I did happen to look at the lottery available in my state, redacted, and while I knew there is only about a 60% payout I considered buying tickets. However, I then noticed that the payout amounts jumped from 5k, to 1m USD. Even after paying 50% in windfall taxes, I would find 1m distracting at best and 5k is to little to be of use to me. So common sense will continue to prevail and I will not be playing.

I am still curious, is there anything you would only do if you eere to suddenly come into substantial unexpected funds?

Might be something simple, like Blizzcon, might be more complex like my original post. Or am I just in an echo chsmber down here in off topic?

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 21st, 2015, 5:27 pm

Since I'm the poster that said I'd buy the CE's, I'll bite. I hadn't jumped down to Off-Topic in the past few days.

Okay. If I had to spend it in one place, or on one...can we say 'theme'?

I'd buy brand new, state of the art motorhomes or truck and trailer combos for all of my Burning Man family. A little selfish, yes, but I'd love to give a higher state of comfort to my camp and "family".

A little selfish, but that's one of the other things on the lottery list, and the most expensive of them, besides a new house. ;)
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Post by Guest » January 21st, 2015, 10:13 pm

Darolyn wrote:Since I'm the poster that said I'd buy the CE's, I'll bite.

Well, I was not going to mention names :lol:
Darolyn wrote:Okay. If I had to spend it in one place, or on one...can we say 'theme'?

I'd buy brand new, state of the art motorhomes or truck and trailer combos for all of my Burning Man family. A little selfish, yes, but I'd love to give a higher state of comfort to my camp and "family".

A little selfish, but that's one of the other things on the lottery list, and the most expensive of them, besides a new house. ;)
Nothing wrong with that, I mean we are talking about a huge 'what if'.

Anyone else have something that they would do, but only if they came into a pile of cash?

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » January 27th, 2015, 10:31 am

If I won a lot and not just 20-100k or something like that, I'd first pay off our student and other loans. After that, would try to get a nice spacious apartment/house with stylish solutions for near-cealing passageways to our indoor cats. I dread having to search for the next rental flat with 3 cats, it seems quite impossible (atm we live in student housing so doesn't matter how many pets we have). And why does most cat furniture look like it's designed for 3-year-olds? Can't afford the good stuff atm.

I'd also have the most thorough health examinations done for all of our cats. One of them is going through dental surgery tomorrow. We're getting a discount because someone screwed up when making the appointment for this morning for 1,25 hours when the whole thing takes at least 4,5 hours, so now it's around 550€ instead of 650€. Thank god for student loans!

I'd probably buy a car also, since we don't have one. Not some stupidly expensive car, just a normal one.

Oh, and I'd also buy some expensive yarn so many seem to afford, and knit a bloody $200 cardigan for myself :D

Other than that, I think I'd just save up to be able to have a comfortable and healthy lifestyle and not having to worry about the financial situation. :roll: I'd also most likely pay someone to finish my master's thesis, because writing it is like sticking needles into my eyeballs. But I'd need to win the lottery within the next couple of months. :b

But yeah. I had a notice in my mailbox saying I have a large letter item waiting for me at the post office. I don't remember ordering anything online, so maybe someone's sent me a large pile of cash that just couldn't fit through the mailbox opening ;)

Post by Guest » January 27th, 2015, 7:30 pm

I hope you have your Crazy Cat Lover achieve! Lol.

OK so you would spend yours on your cats, fitting as they are the supreme beings of this existential plane.

Sujaku
Realm:Alleria-eu

Post by Sujaku » February 10th, 2015, 5:34 am

Though I am never attracted by lottery rewards, but since this is a 'what if' chain I would list out my wish. If I win a substantial amount I would first utilize it to fund my backpacking tour throughout the world and that's it. :D

Kiton
Top Rater
Pet Score:6040
BattleTag®:Enh#1584
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Kiton » April 3rd, 2015, 5:51 pm

I'd buy a home myself and my fiance could grow a family in without the worry of ever having to move. I moved a lot growing up, and the idea of having a real place to call home to have my own family is the most appeasing.

Post by Guest » December 3rd, 2015, 12:24 pm

@kiton I hope u win the lottery bud :) - I know the feeling of moving as well.

Post by Guest » March 20th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Assuming I was at work when I found out, I would immediately take a sick day. I wouldn't quit right away. In fact I'd stick around for at least a week to laugh about all the nonsense that I normally encounter and take satisfaction in knowing that I won't have to deal with it ever again.

So after taking my sick day I'd immediately go to the fanciest restaurant in town and order several entrees just for me. I'd then go to the mall and start picking out outfits for the weekend vacation I'd take with all my girlfriends to celebrate my win. Maybe Vegas and L.A.

Then I'd come back and get down to business by finding a lawyer and good accountant. If I won at least $25 million after taxes then I'd also want to find a realtor since I've always dreamed of owning fabulous homes around the country and world. LA loft, New York apartment, North Carolina country home and maybe an apartment in Europe.

Of course I'd share some money with family and friends but then I'd also start a production company that will work with unknown directors who film documentaries and movies that I'd be into.

Post by Guest » September 10th, 2021, 2:13 am

I've found most of the people claiming lottery money is not clean and end up wasting it partying and drinking.You never know.Invest.

Post by Guest » August 1st, 2022, 8:38 am

I will buy a big house in the country, fix it up, plant lots of trees, play in the yard, take long walks, learn to fix things around the house, and put away some money for retirement.
Not original? But it's true.

Post by Guest » October 19th, 2022, 5:22 am

Buy a House, invest in Gold and in Stocks. Retire my parents and then enjoy life abroad on the beach :)

Post by Guest » July 5th, 2023, 2:12 am

Having money and store in looker is waste of money. I will invest money. I will trade or bet to increase my money.

Post by Guest » July 6th, 2023, 4:28 am

Most lottery winners celebrate and drink their winnings.

Post by Guest » August 12th, 2023, 11:05 am

buy luxury car :D

Post by Guest » September 1st, 2023, 4:01 am

Guest wrote:
January 15th, 2015, 3:34 pm
Someone mentioned in another thread that if they won the lottery one of the things they would do is buy the collectors editions of WoW they do not own. I can see that.

However, I want to know the one thing you would do if you won the lottery and could only spend the money in one place.

I know what it is for me, I would fund a medical trust to assist disabled people who could work if treated, but cannot now and who cannot get funding elsewhere. It is a subject near and dear to my heart for obvious reasons. It is also something that could likely only happen by the off chance of winning a lottery or some similar windfall.

So, what would You do? One thing only and why?
wanna visit secret places

Post by Guest » November 20th, 2023, 12:30 pm

If I win the lottery I would travel around the world

Post by Guest » January 15th, 2024, 4:41 am

If I won a lottery the first act of mine is to help the one who needs it more than me, and then with the rest of money buy some cars a good place to live, and then apply for another lottery :D and do something that generates money on regular basis ;)

Post by Guest » January 25th, 2024, 4:22 am

Guest wrote:
November 20th, 2023, 12:30 pm
If I win the lottery I would travel around the world