Blizzcon Thoughts Including PB

Discuss anything else pertaining to WoW.
Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us
Blizzcon Thoughts Including PB

Post by Uduwudu » November 6th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Hi,

(I missed Saturday because I was way too sick and had to stay in bed! Other than their connection dropping out now and then, it was OK, although I probably would have voted for a little less steroids for those hosts ... and their gushing!)

I got a chance to watch all of Friday (friend's Virtual Ticket) , and the best part was the ladies that act out the many characters, which was kinda cool were it not for "I love you" a bit too many times ... too much gushing ... but I have to admit, since I come from theater and film, that some folks are that good and they take your imagination with them, and it really carries the day and night and makes the whole process extremely pleasant and even more enjoyable. The only thing missing is that they did not really mention that many of the voices were synthesized and played with many other bits and pieces to make it sound better and stronger, and deeper, if not harsher, when needed. It's not a major doing, though, which is nice.

Also notable, was the one about writers, which was outstanding, although they did not really say too much, as if it were a secret, and it is not. It is a process, and they make room for it, which is a nice thing, and you can tell that there is some cohesion in the process, however, their attention to their history, is sometimes lagging in my book, but it is not so bad and major that it hurts the stories. This is, usually, a rare look at these things, that most places and folks will tend to hide.

The other one, that was OK, not great, was about talking to some of the programmers and how they handle what they do and ... it was good. Having lived with a major programmer and system engineer, I was already aware that "defining" their role is almost impossible since they tend to vary just about every day (which hurts some continuity sometimes ... like most young programmers don't even know the old/classic game and its story ... and they don't play, or played that game to have a better perspective all around!). All in all, the problem with these things is that the questions are way too generic and not checked before hand, so they end up with a generic answer. But it was nice to see where some designers can help the story and writing, which was not exactly shown, or discussed ... it all came out sort of like they do what the story layout shows and that is about all they do, when in fact, these folks probably have more of an idea of what can actually spread and open up the story and ideas, even more ... but at this point, in their work, it may be way better to hunker down and stick strictly to the translation of the idea/story into code, with the imagery/drawings being shown in the story boards.

Lastly, it was nice to see an old "friend" with whom I played many times on the old Veeshan server in Everquest. Furor/Alex, never looked better and more with it. Still a bit cocky, but it probably was what made him such a good and courageous player at that time, in a game run by megalomaniacs that were hell bent on punishing the creativity and game, instead of spreading it. I felt proud to see one of the really good folks that helped make these games a reality still there, and bringing these things to life ... such a great magic ... the best of the 20th century.
Last edited by Uduwudu on November 11th, 2017, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Re: Blizzcon Thoughts

Post by Uduwudu » November 11th, 2017, 10:38 am

Biscuit wrote:First off, hope you’re feeling better. ^^b

Secondly...why is this in the pet battle forum? o_O haha

On topic: Incredibly bummed nothing pet-related was mentioned in any of the panels over the weekend. We got a glimpse of what we *think* Tottle will look like, but that’s about it.
Thanks. Was not sure which forum to plug this to, and I hoped that Q might swap this to a proper place, but I really could not make up my mind.

I was hoping that a bit more would be said about the game, instead of just concentrating on the sales pitch for the next expansion, which kinda made the questions and ideas about current content, left behind, which is the thing I do not like in these events ... it was like that even in the old days in EQ, although, at least there, everyone was wow'd because they were finally meeting each other, after having known about that great bard on Mithaniel Marr, that leader in Veeshan, and that such and such elsewhere, and even seeing folks from Japan and other places in one room. Nowadays, with the huge crowd at the Anaheim Convention Center, the only thing I was disappointed in, as you mentioned, was that it seemed like most everything was centered on what's coming ... and not enough about what's actually going on and might get improved or not.

These, from what I see, are more of a sales/propaganda pitch now, than they are anything of serious value about the game, and I don't mean to put it down, but it will get more "corporate" as time goes on, and we will have less and less input, because we know less and less about the game, except the parts we like.

I would have liked a section on Pet Battles, and some folks give their ideas and such. And I would like the sections that have failed miserably (the two "dungeons" of crap and worse pets for prize) and the one in the Isle, that so few of us even bother to visit these days as we level so fast and pass right by it, except to now get to the quest to get the garrison going!

But it would have been nicer to hear/see a centralized location for all pet somethings or other, and a nice discussion on the differences and design issues when doing PvE and PvP with Pet Battles, and what some thoughts were in those areas, but I'm second guessing myself in thinking that this is quite a secondary part of the game, and not enough to "push" and "help" sell an expansion, and thus, it is left behind as not important. Just a side bar and a fun different part of the game for those that have worked on the other parts of the game.

One concern ... that they appear to be forcing us to play and do things that "benefit" the realm or the race, of the Ally or the Horde ... and in the end, Pet Battles might be a part of this, and already they have that Moonkin one for sale, in both versions ... with one problem ... I leveled one and the other one is now bugged (can't bring him up or level him) ... go figure ... so even after a ticket, this is obviously not important or in their agenda, is my one thought.