Adding a Trade rateing/rep for users

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us
Adding a Trade rateing/rep for users

Post by Dragonwizard » May 11th, 2013, 8:41 am

I'm not sure if this is something that you can do easily or if it's something that you are even interested in doing. But I was wondering if you could add a rating/rep to users so people can know whether they are reputable traders or not. Over the past few months I have noticed a lot more of the CE's and Blizzcon pets getting traded. With those pets someone is always taking a chance on getting scammed (at our own risk of course and not really WCPs problem) but if we where to have a trade rateing/rep the chance on it happening would be lower.

You could make it so that each user can only +rep another user once or make it so they have to have 10+ posts before they can +rep another user. My ideas on how to do it are pretty bad but you guys here are great at coming up with fair and unique ways of doing things so I'm hoping you can come up with something simple that works well.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Re: Adding a Trade rateing/rep for users

Post by Tahsfenz » May 11th, 2013, 5:45 pm

To play devils advocate, what's to stop the abuse of negatively ranking people? You get a few people that want to be jerks are neg rank people for kicks then that can hurt. Then you'd have to have a dispute feature, but then you get into he said she said.

Or you can make it a strictly positive ranking, but that can be abused as well.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » May 11th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Not a bad idea. But as Tahsfenz pointed out, it could very easily be abused. The last thing we want is to be bogged down by more disputes. Our time is better spent updating the site with cool new features. ;-)

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » May 11th, 2013, 6:46 pm

My two cents: The only way that I can think of for this to be fair would be if you could only rate someone you have done a trade with... and seller would have to be able to rate buyer as well. This is how eBay and other such places use this kind of tool.

That would put too much of a burden on this site since trades are not regulated.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » May 13th, 2013, 6:26 am

Breanni wrote:Not a bad idea. But as Tahsfenz pointed out, it could very easily be abused. The last thing we want is to be bogged down by more disputes. Our time is better spent updating the site with cool new features. ;-)

Yeah it being abused was one of my concerns too. Just figured I would post about it and was hoping someone smarter than me might beable to figure out a easy way to do it that couldn't be abused. Oh well, it was worth a try. :)
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » May 13th, 2013, 5:23 pm

What may work is having your personal rankings which only you can see. From here you can have circles (similar to google) where you can share the rankings with those in your circle or something similar to that. The user then actually controls whose ranking they can see.

For example, I send dragon a request to share each others ranking of other members. Assuming he accepts, now we can see how we rank other members.