Realm leaderboards - registering multiple alts

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Rymoe
Pet Score:4327
Realm:Kilrogg-eu
Realm leaderboards - registering multiple alts

Post by Rymoe » September 22nd, 2014, 4:40 pm

I couldn't see any posts on this topic, so apologies if I've missed it.

I was just wondering, are there any rules on the topic of registering multiple alts? Obviously, this is possible and each would then show up on the realm leaderboard. Personally I could do it myself, but I won't, as it doesn't feel right or in the spirit of the realm leaderboard. I guess some people may not care either! I was just interested that's all :)

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Re: Realm leaderboards - registering multiple alts

Post by Wakamaru » September 22nd, 2014, 5:19 pm

I don't know if there are any officially published rules on the matter, but even the thought of it stinks of shameful sleaziness. I would seriously hope that no one here would consider doing something like this simple for the sake of padding or securing their main account / main toons ranking. I enjoy the air of competition we passively have here as much as anyone else, but what a sad idea! I'd rather fall a few ranks short legitimately then reach the upper ranks through cheating. I would hope that the majority of the community is of a like-mind.
@TamerWakamaru

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » September 23rd, 2014, 1:44 pm

I'm a little confused about how this would amount to shameful sleaziness. It sounds more annoying to me that you would need to maintain two profiles. I am usually horde but I do have an "alliance server" I play on to hang out with some real life friends, and I have been curious how I stack up on that server. I'm not sure how that amounts to sleaziness or account padding...? Am I missing something here?

Edit: I think this post might go better in another part of the forum. Would a blue like to move this? :)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 23rd, 2014, 3:21 pm

While we don’t have any specific rules against creating more than one user account, doing so with the intent of dominating the leaderboards definitely goes against the spirit of WarcraftPets. If we discover that a user has been doing this, we'll likely contact the user and remove the additional accounts.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Labyrinthe
MVP

Post by Labyrinthe » September 23rd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would multiple alts from the same server/faction even help up your rank? It's not like different characters have more/less pets, so I'm just wondering what would the point even be? They should all have the same score, no?

I have wanted to see how I compare on other servers before, but that's easily done by just changing your character and looking. That said, my main is Labyrinthe on Turalyon and it's my home server so that's what I stick with for ranking unless I'm just trying to compare (which isn't a permanent registering or anything).

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 23rd, 2014, 4:56 pm

Labyrinthe wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but how would multiple alts from the same server/faction even help up your rank? It's not like different characters have more/less pets, so I'm just wondering what would the point even be? They should all have the same score, no?
It wouldn't "up" your score, but it would skew the realm's leaderboard.

Example: Jon registers three accounts and selects server A for all three. He uses three different characters for each account, even though they all have the same exact pets. His collection has the highest pet score for his server, but instead of ranking first only once, the top three ranks are occupied by his characters.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Profane
Top Rater
Pet Score:4105
BattleTag®:profane#1515
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Profane » September 26th, 2014, 12:21 am

Labyrinthe wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but how would multiple alts from the same server/faction even help up your rank? It's not like different characters have more/less pets, so I'm just wondering what would the point even be? They should all have the same score, no?

I have wanted to see how I compare on other servers before, but that's easily done by just changing your character and looking. That said, my main is Labyrinthe on Turalyon and it's my home server so that's what I stick with for ranking unless I'm just trying to compare (which isn't a permanent registering or anything).
Or I think maybe looking cool being top 5 on a low pop server when really you'd be like top 300 on a more pop server. /shrugs

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » September 26th, 2014, 1:48 am

I can totally understand wanting to know you your collection stacks up on another server or faction, I have often checked this myself. I play Alliance on Skywall & Horde on Caelestrasz. My mains are on Skywall, but I do occasionally see how I stand on the other server as well. When I want to check how I stand on another server I just go to Manage Account and then Character... I change the server and character name. Poof, I can see how I stack up on the other server.

My issue would be with registering multiple accounts and toons on the same server to skew the leaderboard. There is no mention in the OP about a change of server, only registering multiple accounts & alts. OP even states "doesn't feel right or in the spirit of the realm leaderboard" which leads me to assume that the idea is based on a single server scenario.

I'm not calling the OP shamefully sleazy, only the actual idea. I enjoy the spirit of competition here just as much as anyone else and I would hate to see a development here where people are intentionally trying to manipulate the leaderboards OUTSIDE of the typical collect / level / upgrade efforts.
@TamerWakamaru

Rymoe

Post by Rymoe » September 27th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies and yes, what I was meaning by the original post was registering multiple alts from the same Battlenet account on the same realm ie alts that have exactly the same score/pets, personally I don't see registering alts with the same score/pets on different realms to see how you rank as a problem. As you'll probably guess, I noticed someone on my realm leader board had done this (well, appeared to have done this when I had a look at their collections, I could be wrong I guess), so I was bumped down a place on the leader board and that's why I was wondering! Ah well, at least I'm not the only one who think's it's not quite playing fair :)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 27th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Rymoe wrote:Thanks for the replies and yes, what I was meaning by the original post was registering multiple alts from the same Battlenet account on the same realm ie alts that have exactly the same score/pets, personally I don't see registering alts with the same score/pets on different realms to see how you rank as a problem. As you'll probably guess, I noticed someone on my realm leader board had done this (well, appeared to have done this when I had a look at their collections, I could be wrong I guess), so I was bumped down a place on the leader board and that's why I was wondering! Ah well, at least I'm not the only one who think's it's not quite playing fair :)
I checked your profile. If it helps, I don't see anyone in positions 1-6 that have both the same score and same number of pets. They might have since removed it, but it doesn't appear you got knocked down due to duplicate collections.

Also, if you make a horde toon over on Madoran/Dawnbringer and ask to get into Magical Menagerie, they have Thundering Serpent Hatchling + Guild Herald + Guild Page, which would get you back up into #6 once you grind out the guild rep to get them.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Rymoe

Post by Rymoe » September 28th, 2014, 3:19 am

Jerebear wrote:I checked your profile. If it helps, I don't see anyone in positions 1-6 that have both the same score and same number of pets. They might have since removed it, but it doesn't appear you got knocked down due to duplicate collections.

Also, if you make a horde toon over on Madoran/Dawnbringer and ask to get into Magical Menagerie, they have Thundering Serpent Hatchling + Guild Herald + Guild Page, which would get you back up into #6 once you grind out the guild rep to get them.
Thanks for checking, I've looked again and the two alts I compared now have a 1 pet and 4 point difference, whereas when I wrote they were identical. They are different now due to the sky lantern pet, which is a manually added pet. I'd looked at their character & realm links on wow armory pages and noticed the following were the same that led to my original conclusions: (1) in same guild, (2) collected pet number the same, (3) uncollected pet number the same, (4) total achievement points the same, (5) recently earned achievements the same, (6) progress of overview achievements the same (this is the main one for me). Draw your own conclusions from that.

Thanks for the reminder on the missing Thundering Serpent Hatchling, I really do need to do that. I've been barking in trade for a guild linked to my realm, but I've not been successful up to now, I was even offering to make a not too shabby guild donation too, but no takers yet!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 28th, 2014, 10:15 am

Yeah, if they have the same exact achievs and only a manually added pet difference, then it is almost certainly duplicates. If you are worried, toss a private message to one of the board admins. I see the one you are talking about and that is certainly suspicious.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829