Something weird with the pet score

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Caliban
Top Rater
Pet Score:13443
Realm:Anachronos-eu
Something weird with the pet score

Post by Caliban » May 24th, 2021, 1:58 am

Hi Guys,

So comparing my pet score to someone else I found something strange. Here's the comparison;

- Caliban (Me): Score = 10935, Pets = 1368. I am ranked # 3 on the connected realms leaderboard.
- Lost: Score = 10936, Pets = 1367. He is ranked # 2 on the connected realms leaderboard.

We're both on the Anachronos-EU realm.

So the strange thing is that despite all my pets being max level and rare quality (only two I have are still level 1, which once level 25 will make my score 10937) and me having one more pet than Lost, my score is lower, which it really shouldn't be. Shouldn't my score, having one pet more than Lost, be six points more than his? Or right now, with two level 1's, at least four points more? How can my score be lower while I have 1 more pets than him? And so I really should be # 2 on the leaderboard and he # 3. Or am I missing something?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Something weird with the pet score

Post by Quintessence » May 24th, 2021, 10:33 am

Check out how the WarcraftPets Pet Score is calculated:
https://www.warcraftpets.com/help/#petscore

Total number of unique pets is factored in, but so is the sum of all unique pet levels and rarities. Since both of your collections have fully upgraded pets, the only difference left is levels.

Although you have 1 more unique pet than the other user, they have nearly all of their unique pets level to 25 (with only 1 pet still level 24). You currently have 3 level 1's, which will hold your score back a little until you've leveled them up a bit.

Your pet levels mathed out:
.12(1365*25 + 3) = 4095.36 (or 4095 rounded)
Lost's pet levels mathed out:
.12(1366*25 + 24) = 4100.88 (or 4101 rounded)
TL;DR - The number of unique pets plays a large part of your Pet Score, but pet levels also play an important part. If there's a score discrepancy, it might be because the other collection has more total pet levels.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Caliban
Top Rater
Pet Score:13443
Realm:Anachronos-eu

Re: Something weird with the pet score

Post by Caliban » May 31st, 2021, 3:47 am

Thank you very much for your reply. I've waited with replying myself until I got the remaining few pets I have maxxed out, which is now the case. I think I understand it now, seems pretty straight forward, except for one tiny thing...

Both my collection and the other guy's have all pets maxxed out and rare. YET...I have 22 score points more with 3 PETS more. But if a maxxed out and rare pet yields 6 points in total, how come the difference is 22 points and not 18? (3x6).