Which (breed) to keep from doubles?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kahlan
Pet Score:7594
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Which (breed) to keep from doubles?

Post by Kahlan » February 28th, 2014, 10:42 am

Hi all,

I made a list of my doubles (with petsear.ch , awesome site) and was wondering which ones to keep as I want only one of each pet. For some I find it easier to figure out than for others but I'd like to know your opinions.
kaysdoubles_breed01.jpg
My doubles 01
kaysdoubles_breed01.jpg (218.05KiB)Viewed 2474 times
kaysdoubles_breed02.jpg
My doubles 02
kaysdoubles_breed02.jpg (191.46KiB)Viewed 2474 times
There are also some tradeable doubles that only have one breed, if anyone would like one of those I've marked "for trade" please let me know. I'm on Silvermoon EU. Since I don't think they are very rare, I doubt there's anything I would want in the same "price" region so they can be free or whatever you wish to give for it (hugs are fine too, haha). Send me an ingame mail on Kahlan for the pet you want :) (first come, first serve)
kaysdoubles_trade.jpg
These are my double pets for trade.
Kahlan - Silvermoon EU
kaysdoubles_trade.jpg (201.62KiB)Viewed 2474 times

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Which (breed) to keep from doubles?

Post by Kpb321 » February 28th, 2014, 5:03 pm

I don't know that anyone can really tell you which ones to keep as there is no "right" answer. There are opinions and possibly situations where one breed is clearly better than another but that is about it.

My general rules are the following:

1) Any breed with out a Balance is better than any breed with it and Pure breeds (p/p, s/s, h/h) are generally the best. Pure Breeds get more additional stats from their breed than any other.
2) Speed is good for any moves that get additional benefits from being faster but you only need to be 1 point faster to go first. This includes not just things like Alpha strike that specifically says does extra dmg if faster but also things like Dodge on a bunny or blinding poison on a death adder where being faster gives you an extra turn of dodging or blinding.
3) If I don't have any obvious need to be faster I generally prefer power or hps over speed. Especially true for undead where their racial means basically no benefit from being faster with out a move that benefits from it.
4) Any Breed that is unique for that move set is probably a good one to keep. For example the Yellow moth is the only moth with a P/P breed and it ends up being very useful and most definitely the one to get.

But with that said the situation can trump even those rules. A P/B pet that is just faster than a trainer may be the best option to use against that trainer even tho I'd normally consider it a poor breed.

Kahlan

Post by Kahlan » March 3rd, 2014, 3:13 am

Hi Kpb321,

Thank you for your answer. It is mostly as I would have thought myself.
Is it that you should also not look at speed breeds when the top speed is not higher that 325?

Example is the effervescent glowfly, i'd sooner keep the H/B there, bc the speedy one is "only" 289 which will not often make it faster, while the extra bit of AP would be more useful (a better breed would be even more usefull but I'm not THAT ocd about pets yet :) )

The Nether Roach is one I can't quite figure out: it has Flank which does extra damage when faster, it has Hiss which makes the opponent slower, so go fo "super speed" (being fast and using hiss) or for survivability so his meteor can come into play. Argh.
Perhaps of these I should just keep the both :)

Anyways, perhaps I madde this thread not as much for asking which pet specifically to keep but rather to pick your brains on how you would make a choice / which criteria other people handle.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » March 3rd, 2014, 3:47 am

Kahlan wrote: The Nether Roach is one I can't quite figure out: it has Flank which does extra damage when faster, it has Hiss which makes the opponent slower, so go fo "super speed" (being fast and using hiss) or for survivability so his meteor can come into play. Argh.
Perhaps of these I should just keep the both :)
The special thing about the Nether Roach is that you take Nether Blast(strong vs birds) instead of Flank. And if you do that you don't need speed, since birds are faster. So H/H I feel is the most useful breed, since you last longer to build up the Nether Blast Power.

If you want Flank, yes S/S with Survival would be better than H/H. But with S/S you only have 227 power, I believe there are other pets with the same moves that has better stat distribution. For example S/S Gold Beetle, has 276 power and still respectable 309 speed.

Kahlan

Post by Kahlan » March 3rd, 2014, 3:56 am

Vek wrote:The special thing about the Nether Roach is that you take Nether Blast(strong vs birds) instead of Flank. And if you do that you don't need speed, since birds are faster. So H/H I feel is the most useful breed, since you last longer to build up the Nether Blast Power.
Thank you Vek, for this information. I am really bad at thinking outside the box :)