Regarding Demolish & blind hit bug - from Blizz

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Nefigah
Pet Score:1359
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us
Re: Regarding Demolish & blind hit bug - from Blizz

Post by Nefigah » February 28th, 2014, 4:47 pm

There's also an interesting interaction with shields, which seem very common in PVP. If moveA hits 100% for 100 damage and moveB hits 50% for 200 damage, moveB is clearly superior against "Reduce damage by X" defenses. Thus there is a large incentive to have access to some gambley moves. The contrasting mechanic is hitting multiple times per round for less damage per attack, which is bad against by-X shields but good against things like Bubble (it would also be the way to go against defenses akin to the Magic pet racial, though currently said racial is really tuned too weakly to make it competitive).

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » February 28th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Thank you very much Poofah! That was indeed what i was trying to say.
That was indeed the explanation that I was looking for. I couldn't have phrased it as well as you. I gave it an attempt to explain my thoughts, it sadly became a confusing mess. I did not even mention risk aversion ^^

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » March 1st, 2014, 1:51 pm

Poofah wrote:
Now suppose we add a new ability called win20 to the game: roll a D5, on a 1 you win, on 2-5 you lose. Objectively this is a pretty bad ability, and most people wouldn't use it. Player A certainly would never use it. However, player B only wins 10% of the time anyway. So player B will use this ability every game and his win % will go up to 20%.
i'm curious about the numbers Blizzard actually uses. using your D5 as an example, the move would benefit the 10% player within only a few matches. where as if it were more like a D500 or a D1000, it would take significantly more matches to even out the percentages. the higher the numbers, the more chances for long streaks. look at it like this: if each round the chance to land a number increases by a certain amount to prevent a streak (say by removing the numbers once they're used until a hit lands) then it will only take at most 5 rounds to prevent a streak with a D5. if you use larger dice, though, you can get more misses, each miss removing the number landed on, so a d20 could potentially take 15 misses to finally land a hit, resetting the miss streak protection. so depending on the numbers they use in the programming, it could matter or completely not matter based on the RNG.