Anzu's Blessing

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us
Re: Anzu's Blessing

Post by Poofah » February 1st, 2014, 5:41 pm

Badpathing wrote:Blessing + Righteous Inspiration (is it additive or multiplicative?) + Bonestorm.
Haven't tested, but all +% buffs I know of are multiplicative. So this would be a 1.25*2*325 = 813 Bonestorm, instead of 650 with just RI. So you are spending 2 extra turns (Blessing, swap) to get 488 extra damage on the Bonestorm (total, across all 3 targets). And then you have 1-2 turns left on the Blessing, presumably for Claw/Bone Bite, which would be roughly 100 extra per turn.
Badpathing wrote:but what it is not pointing out is that sometimes, the amount of damage you can do in a single hit matters more than the damage you can do over 3 turns.
Totally agree, and that's part of why RI is so strong. Packing a 200% buff into 1 turn has massive potential, because you can use it with a single high-cooldown/high-damage move. By spreading out that buff into 125% buffs over multiple turns, you lose that advantage. And it's only 5 turns with no free swap, so you only end up with a cumulative advantage of 200% over 5 turns, versus RI's 200% in one turn. Basically, if you show me a strong moveset to combo with Blessing, I will just combo it with RI instead, and my combo will be better.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » February 1st, 2014, 7:02 pm

Poofah wrote:
Badpathing wrote:Blessing + Righteous Inspiration (is it additive or multiplicative?) + Bonestorm.
Haven't tested, but all +% buffs I know of are multiplicative. So this would be a 1.25*2*325 = 813 Bonestorm, instead of 650 with just RI. So you are spending 2 extra turns (Blessing, swap) to get 488 extra damage on the Bonestorm (total, across all 3 targets). And then you have 1-2 turns left on the Blessing, presumably for Claw/Bone Bite, which would be roughly 100 extra per turn.
Badpathing wrote:but what it is not pointing out is that sometimes, the amount of damage you can do in a single hit matters more than the damage you can do over 3 turns.
Totally agree, and that's part of why RI is so strong. Packing a 200% buff into 1 turn has massive potential, because you can use it with a single high-cooldown/high-damage move. By spreading out that buff into 125% buffs over multiple turns, you lose that advantage. And it's only 5 turns with no free swap, so you only end up with a cumulative advantage of 200% over 5 turns, versus RI's 200% in one turn. Basically, if you show me a strong moveset to combo with Blessing, I will just combo it with RI instead, and my combo will be better.
I guess the only thing I am trying to point out is that this buff offers some flexibility. Sure, the hard numbers in a vacuum show it to under-perform, but you and everyone else knows that most games do not play out this way. I think it's a good ability, but there are a lot of people out there who are better at pvp than I am, so maybe my opinion counts for very little :)

Having said that, I respect your opinion Poofah; read a lot of your posts and you always make good, solid points.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » February 1st, 2014, 7:10 pm

Think the big problem with most buff spells is that you waste time on setup, where you take damage while doing none in return. Righteous Inspiration was unique in that regard as you get a free swap.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 1st, 2014, 7:26 pm

Luciandk wrote:Think the big problem with most buff spells is that you waste time on setup, where you take damage while doing none in return. Righteous Inspiration was unique in that regard as you get a free swap.
And that is really my point. You get 4 turns, anything less would probably be arguably worthless (in terms of combos). Dunno, maybe it does need a tweak, and maybe it's just right. I have not actually seen his other abilities to figure out if this is icing on this cake for this pet or not.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » February 2nd, 2014, 2:26 am

Badpathing wrote:
Luciandk wrote:Think the big problem with most buff spells is that you waste time on setup, where you take damage while doing none in return. Righteous Inspiration was unique in that regard as you get a free swap.
And that is really my point. You get 4 turns, anything less would probably be arguably worthless (in terms of combos). Dunno, maybe it does need a tweak, and maybe it's just right. I have not actually seen his other abilities to figure out if this is icing on this cake for this pet or not.
Guess youve missed it:
https://twitter.com/TheCrafticus/status ... 5547704320

Appears to be:

Peck, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike
Shadow Slash, Consume Corpse and Anzu's Blessing

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 2nd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Luciandk wrote:
Badpathing wrote:
Guess youve missed it:
https://twitter.com/TheCrafticus/status ... 5547704320

Appears to be:

Peck, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike
Shadow Slash, Consume Corpse and Anzu's Blessing
Not so much 'missed it' as 'have not looked for it', but thanks!

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » February 2nd, 2014, 5:23 pm

This buff is worse any similar buff like [ability]Evolution[/ability], or debuffs, what increase damage enemies will take, like [ability]Unholy ascension[/ability] or [ability]Acidic Goo[/ability]. Also Anzu's blessing is in same slot with Nocturnal, so it is just dont worth to use.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » February 3rd, 2014, 5:51 pm

Badpathing wrote:the hard numbers in a vacuum show it to under-perform, but you and everyone else knows that most games do not play out this way.
I agree, to an extent. But besides the raw numbers, there are several existing abilities that we can compare fairly directly to Anzu's, e.g. RI, Lucky Dance, etc.
Luciandk wrote:Think the big problem with most buff spells is that you waste time on setup, where you take damage while doing none in return.
Papazol wrote:This buff is worse any similar buff like Evolution
Anzu's biggest problem is that it does nothing up-front, ie you accomplish nothing on the turn you cast it. This is similar to Lucky Dance: Lucky Dance actually gives a higher damage bonus overall when you combo it with Demolish/Cataclysm, but Lucky Dance teams are not particularly competitive because you have to waste turns casting a buff and swapping. By the time you can take advantage of the buff, you are already behind by multiple turns. *If* the buff were overwhelmingly strong, then perhaps this trade-off would be worthwhile. But both Lucky Dance and Anzu's are 'balanced' in a vacuum, ie they provide a benefit that is 'worth' roughly 1 turn. So even if you don't waste a turn to swap, you are still only getting 1 turn of benefit at a cost of 1 turn, and you are waiting 4+ turns to get that benefit. Turns are simply worth too much in pet battles: there isn't time to use abilities that require multiple turns just to break even.

More modern buff/debuff abilities such as Rain Dance, Autumn Breeze, and Evolution include an up-front benefit (heal or damage). This allows these abilities to break even almost as soon as you cast them, and makes them much more attractive than their outdated counterparts like Lucky Dance and Slippery Ice. RI in particular gives you a huge up-front benefit in the form of a free swap.

The original implementation for weathers had a similar problem: they did 0 damage. Consequently, weather was simply never used. Bliz's solution was to add a decent-sized chunk of up-front damage or healing. This led to new problems such as Darkness/Conflag teams being overpowered for a little while (and Sandstorm being overpowered once Anubisath came out), but it did accomplish the goal of getting people to play with weathers.

So, it's disappointing that they've gone back to the outdated team buff model for Anzu's. They clearly wanted to design a neat new ability to go on the CE pet, but they seemingly have failed to learn from all the balancing they did in MoP.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » February 3rd, 2014, 6:26 pm

Poofah wrote:They clearly wanted to design a neat new ability to go on the CE pet, but they seemingly have failed to learn from all the balancing they did in MoP.
Well, still in beta, so don't lose heart. I think if they see it lacking usage, it might get a tweak. If not, I would be pretty bummed too, since new CE pets and the like usually promise something interesting.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » February 3rd, 2014, 7:01 pm

Hopefully, but they haven't done a good job of addressing problems on PTR. For example the PTR versions of Pheromones and RI were overpowered, and that was pointed out here and on the 'official' pet battle forum and the PTR forum, but they made it to live unchanged (and had to be nerfed afterward). They've shown that they read about issues on Twitter, but only sporadically. And in any case, it must be a nightmare for them to gather useful information, since everyone has a different opinion. I suspect that they only respond to issues when the volume of complaints gets high enough, and that tends to only happen after people get stomped by the overpowered abilities in pet PvP on live.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » February 7th, 2014, 8:55 am

Don't hope on changes, CE MoP pet was beyond awful. Instead be happy you have extra-strong Raven instead that is effective against humanoids, at least it have some uses. Sure it's plain and I'd rather have something special like Frosty or DW or Netherwhelp, but... still better that than Quilen (which was WORSE version of Perky Pug).