PVP help~

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Index
Pet Score:12809
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu
Re: PVP help~

Post by Index » January 29th, 2014, 8:26 am

My team for all my PVP wins, as posted before was a bit of a mix!

Fast rabbit (used a mountain cottontail with 341 speed) to smash undeads and avoid avoid avoid!, Wolvar pup to counter beasts and dragons and Lil' Ragnaros to counter the various mechs, complete with avoidance and stuns.

Rabbit usually started vs the likely Val'kyr/Crate/etc, totally negating the grip-swap/haunt tactics, and a fair few people would chicken out at this point and flee! If they did decide to stay, they would get chewed to bits by TEH BUNNEH OF TEH DOOMZ, and the last two would use the stun abilities they both have, combined with big hits to clean up.

Sounds dull, but it got to a point that I was seeing people flee as soon as they saw my team, and was racking up the wins at a good pace, losing only 2-3 in ten games or so :)

Everyone has their own ideal team, but this one worked for me, and as soon as I got my 5k wins, that was me done!

GL and have fun!

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » January 30th, 2014, 10:38 am

Vek wrote:Kendrah, would be fun to hear how things are going for you.
I've done four PVP battles. XD And am at a 50/50 win loss. I tried using the purple puffer team you suggested and got someone with a lil' rag, kun-lai, and idol. He totally kicked my ass. XD

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » January 30th, 2014, 11:06 am

Kendrah wrote: I've done four PVP battles. XD And am at a 50/50 win loss. I tried using the purple puffer team you suggested and got someone with a lil' rag, kun-lai, and idol. He totally kicked my ass. XD
Yea that would take some good play to kill. Especially the Idol would cause trouble. The puffer should eat Raggy in 2-3 turns, all it's attacks are strong vs elementals, also the dancer should have been able to kill it quick. The Kun-lai you either need to be able to use the evanescence of the sprite darter or just make a switch after you have been slowed/chilled. Ideal is to start with the sprite darter, use evanescence then cyclone. Switch to Jademist. Then you can change the weather from Sandstorm and then use Rain Dance and watch the magic.

Trouble is that both kun-lai and idol has regular strong attacks against the darter, so if you face this team often switch the darter to a Blighthawk and watch the Idol go down.

It's a tough matchup but with experience you will learn how to better handle each opposing pet/team.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » January 30th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Vek wrote:It's a tough matchup but with experience you will learn how to better handle each opposing pet/team.
Still, I won two battles. :'D Now I just have 248 to go. :lol:

Elfuego
Pet Score:3958
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Elfuego » January 30th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Kendra, saw your post and wanted to give you my favorite line up! For me, the pet team I have the most fun with is my switcheroo team.

[pet]Fiendish imp[/pet]
[pet]Enchanted Broom[/pet]
[pet]crawling Claw[/pet]

This crew does really well against a variety of teams out there! They constantly interrupt your opponents synergy or rhythm keeping them on the defensive while you just hammer away. I usually start with the claw to drop [ability]doom[/ability] on what ever they start with, or just swap whatever pet out they start with. The imp and broom are both S/S so they almost always go first. it takes some time to know how to use this team effectively, but when you do you may find it to be a solid team. You can find them in action here: Pvp pet battle teams - Switcheroo

As always, you can find many more pvp teams on the site among other resources for power leveling, dailies, and of course, video instructionals for everything!

[profile]Elfuego[/profile]
GET OWNED!

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » January 31st, 2014, 7:17 am

I don't like PvP either and I wasn't any more enthusiastic about pet battle PvP the first few times I did it. Everyone seems to have super pets, so it was not pretty.

But I started reading up on it. I have a decent stable of 25s. Thought about some possible teams and gave it another try.

Got owned again.

So this week I was doing the quests for the Elders. Because it's a lot of traveling around, it seemed like as good a time as any. Without thinking about it, I opened up the pet journal and started picking pets. Anubiseth Idol was near the top. I thought - why not just pick three humanoid types? Clockwork Gnome was next. Lil Ragnaros last. I didn't think about synergy or coverage or anything.

I won 9 of the next 11.

It's not a super team, but it's a start. It also shows me that sometimes you can give it too much thought. Just grab three pets and give it a shot. Learn from your mistakes and go from there.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » February 1st, 2014, 12:54 pm

I don't know if I should make a separate thread for any additional questions but it's just easier to lump it all together. :lol:

So I picked up the PVP pet quest (win 10 level 25 battles via the finder) and thus far, I've won five but it only says that I've won one (or gives me credit for one, anyway.) Is it like the fabled dailies in that sometimes it will only acknowledge a win if it's on the character your picked the quest up with?

Also (more importantly), I've noticed that most of my battles have unborn and lil' rag in them. I understand these two are considered powerful so I get that. I'm wondering which pets are best for them. Pocket Reaver took Rag down once (he did that son's attack and I had quake. XD) I'm just looking for more options. Especially for Unborn. I dunno. My mind just goes blank whenever I see that one come into play.

Vek
Top Rater

Re: PVP help

Post by Vek » February 1st, 2014, 1:08 pm

Yes the quest can bug. I would just try to complete it before reset and you should be good.

Raggy is strong but very very slow and predictable. Mechanicals should why away from him since he is stronger against then.

If I should just give you one easy answer for both these pets it's a frog that is faster. Tongue Lash is strong vs Val'kyr, easily hits for 600 a turn. Frog is aquatic so all Val'kyrs attacks are weak and haunt is even weaker since it is a dot. You also have Frog Kiss that is strong vs elementals(ie raggy), and you got a heal. Just make sure to switch out the frog after the Val'kyr haunts.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 1st, 2014, 1:49 pm

a frog or a P/P crab should do well against them. The crab wouldn't have a critter attack to be strong against the valk but with a shell shield and aquatic racial the valk is pretty weak.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » February 4th, 2014, 1:03 am

Frogs are good for Val but what about the death adder? I think I must've been battling the same person because all I got were teams of Val, Death Adder, and a carry pet. I do have those two pets but strangely, I don't want to use common pets. I sort of like using less common pets. :lol:

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » February 4th, 2014, 5:49 am

Here is a couple of things you can try.

Buy a Warbot(dalaran i think). Start with it vs Valk. Use mines and then you can use armor plating to reduce damage from haunt/curse. Snake does not want to switch into a minefield. Then can backline Warbot until Valk gets back or when minefield cooldown is over.

Clockwork gnome, build Turrert. It will still hurt the snake even if you are Blinded.

Chi-Chi is pretty good vs the snake. Be sure to keep up tranquility and try useing dodge to avoid big hit and a get a round of healing with no damage taken.

Birds in general are pretty good. They take reduced damage and are faster. I often use imperial eagle hatchling. Scratch hits 2-3 times, and use lift-off when you get Blinded or just to try and avoid the big hit.

Any mechanical with Overtune can really hurt the snake. Clock em with dodge is nice.

See what works for you.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » February 4th, 2014, 7:12 am

Vek wrote:Here is a couple of things you can try.
Thank you Vek. You're my savior. <3

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » February 4th, 2014, 1:53 pm

I finally killed a death adder + val team today! It wasn't with a warbot but still! And I got my 10 wins achievies! Every team I played against had a stupid minefield type ability. Still! I feel like:

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 4th, 2014, 5:55 pm

yeah thats (naely) everybody reads and uses the fotm team....

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » February 4th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Grats Kendrah. Good job!

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » February 4th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Kendrah wrote:I finally killed a death adder + val team today! It wasn't with a warbot but still! And I got my 10 wins achievies!
If there was a way for me to 'like' this post instead of making a verbose declaration I would've done it, but instead I have to come in here and say 'omg yay good job! good for you! yay!' like a time traveler from 2005 using MySpace or something.

But no really, congrats. ;) As you keep battling, it'll get easier, but this is a super awesome first step. Good for you!
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » February 4th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Kendrah wrote:I finally killed a death adder + val team today!
ANYTIME you beat this freaking combo is a reason to celebrate :). I killed a Murk/DAH/Valk team with my mostly-for-fun Trap team (Fiendish Imp/Blue Clockwork Rocket-Bot/Pandaren Water Spirit) last night and literally stood up and grunted in victory!

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » February 6th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Okay, two more newbie questions:

1. I've been seeing a lot of the minefields/booby traps lately. Do spells like [ability]Celestial Blessing[/ability] counter any of that damage (if my pet dies or I have to switch before the minefields have dropped off)?

2. I was up against a lava crab that used a sweep ability to remove my cyclones. I thought that ability just swept static things like blocks up, but I guess I'm wrong. Anyway, I was up against a Skuny and was wondering with a sweep type ability would remove attacks such as barrel toss and explosive brew.

Thanks! :)

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » February 6th, 2014, 6:48 pm

1. If you need some tips against Minefield check this post out(at page 4 here in this forum)http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=3&t=8958

To answer your particular question with Celestial Blessing, Ligre answered in the above post like this:
When 5.4 first came out, I tried this with Yu'la, and it didn't work. Recently, however, I've tried this and it has worked...so maybe it was changed/fixed. I may need to try this again, and see if speed has anything to do with it (speed of the pet w/Celestial Blessing vs. speed of the Minefield pet).
2. Sweep type abilities will remove turrets, cyclones, mines, rockets. Not sure about barriers, but since you hit your opponents pets three times thats a moot point. Also "removes" traps by blowing them up, so don't do that.

Now I'm just guessing here, but most "wind-up" type moves don't produce a battlefield removable item, except Rocket. Barrel Toss seems like a Pump/wind-up kind of move so in that regard I don't think it will be removed by a sweep-move. But I have a distinct memory that it did produce a barrel, I just can't remember if it stayed put like the Rocket. Sorry.

Explosive Brew on the other hand most definitely won't be removed by sweep. But I guess it could be removed by Sear Magic instead.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » February 7th, 2014, 4:10 am

Thanks Vek!