Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us
Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Jerebear » February 21st, 2014, 9:22 pm

I actually use both and haven't had an issue with them. PBT works fine with rematch on mine. Old versions of PBT have had issues with messing up teams in the past, but wasn't related to Rematch.

What version of PBT are you running (look in the .toc file)
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 21st, 2014, 10:38 pm

Yeah I've got PBT installed still and running alongside Rematch and haven't hand any problems with it. Are your pet battle teams locked? If not I could see that causing problems as rematch would change your pets for you and it would change your PBT team just like if you manually changed the pets.

Do you have auto safari hat installed? It now has a feature to automatically select your PBT team for you when you start a fight and it equips your hat. That would explain why you still see the behavior even with rematch uninstalled.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » February 22nd, 2014, 1:23 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Yeah I've got PBT installed still and running alongside Rematch and haven't hand any problems with it. Are your pet battle teams locked? If not I could see that causing problems as rematch would change your pets for you and it would change your PBT team just like if you manually changed the pets.
Yes that is the thing. I would like Rematch to not affect my PBT teams at all. I would like both add-ons to have separate independent lists. What you are saying though is that if I lock all my PBT teams I’ll be ok? Thanks

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 22nd, 2014, 2:47 pm

Yeah, if you don't lock your PBT teams, any changes to the pet interface can change your teams. It doesn't have to be Rematch, any addon that uses the ingame interface and changes pets or their abilities would affect you. It doesn't even have to be an addon, you can mess up your own PBT teams this way.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » February 22nd, 2014, 3:45 pm

As mentioned above, when a team is unlocked, if PBT has that team selected, loading pets will change the pets in that PBT team. It's not due to a bug/conflict, it's just how PBT works. If you change pets manually the selected team's pets change. If you use any pet-changing addon it will do that also.

When you lock your teams it will ignore changes to your pet slots so you can use other pet-changing addons alongside PBT.

Other than the unavoidable act of changing pets, the only other interaction this addon has with PBT is when you /rematch import, it reads through a global variable to build teams in Rematch. It never alters any of PBT's stuff.

That said, it's not a promise of lack of conflicts. I definitely encourage using Rematch alongside any number of other pet addons. If conflicts appear, it's good to get them found and fixed for a more resilient addon.

Also, 2.2.9 is posted at wowinterface largely from recent suggestions here. It's been submitted to curse also but it usually takes ~6 hours to get an update approved on curse.

Since the UI overhaul is being delayed a bit, I added an interim side panel to make the "wide" collapsed view for a leveling slot/queue and auto load. It needs to be enabled in options ("Use Side Panel") first.

Thanks again!

CoCXan
Pet Score:5275
Realm:Alexstrasza-eu

Post by CoCXan » February 25th, 2014, 4:28 am

Iamwhatis wrote:What you are saying though is that if I lock all my PBT teams I’ll be ok?
No, this isn't necessary. I made a new "rematch dummy" team which is always active in PBT. This is the team which is therefor "updated" whenever the active pet team is changes, be it from the standard interface or from another addon like Rematch.

If you want to use your old PBT teams you can do that any time, but you should make it a habbit to activate your "rematch dummy" after you have finish with whatever you needed PBT.

However, I find myself don't using PBT anymore, it is still installed and active, mainly because the larger icons for the teams roster, however I don't use it anymore for team selecting or new team composition.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 25th, 2014, 12:09 pm

I'd still say it's best to lock the teams in PBT and I had done that before I even installed rematch as I found myself accidentally modifying my teams in PBT when I didn't intend to. Yes if you always remember to select your "junk" team you'll be fine but you forget to do it and boom your team is changed. It's much easier to lock your teams that are set since you aren't going to be changing them anyway.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 8th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Like the addition of the pet journal in 2.3.0. Found a bug. If you are typing in an ability, stop before finish typing, scroll down the list, continue typing, if the list no longer needs to be scrolled, the top pet in the list gets loaded halfway off the screen and the scroll bar disappears. I did this with extra plating. When I typed 'p' some other pets disappeared (not sure why they were in the list in the first place). When I got to the 't' in plating, the list shifted into the picture you see here:

So steps:
1. Type extra
2. Scroll to bottom of pets
3. Type plating

EDIT:
Also, as you focus back on the levelling queue, are you still considering some pet EXP based options for the queue? It would be nice to remove pets from the queue when all they have left is "wasted EXP" (which varies with the enemy you face). If you need any data support for that, I can try and give whatever you need.

Gello

Post by Gello » March 8th, 2014, 6:26 pm

So steps:
1. Type extra
3. Type plating
Noted, thanks!

Those couple extra 'extra's are probably Blast of Hatred from the Mini Diablo and Murkablo: "Deals x extra damage" in the ability description.
EDIT:
Also, as you focus back on the levelling queue, are you still considering some pet EXP based options for the queue? It would be nice to remove pets from the queue when all they have left is "wasted EXP" (which varies with the enemy you face). If you need any data support for that, I can try and give whatever you need.
The plan is still on for setting max level (and min hp or level) when you save/edit a team, so it'd be with the team save/edit overhaul. But I'll see what can be done within the leveling queue itself. Even before the team save/edit is overhauled, the queue will need to handle skipping pets. So there will be some easy support there. I can see the value of setting a max level without tinkering with all the saved teams. Maybe a switch on the queue to set max level to 23 or 25.

Is strict xp level necessary do you think? The addon won't know what amount of xp you'll likely get from a win. But I can do like 50% through 23 or something like that.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 8th, 2014, 9:44 pm

One of the reasons I mention it is because depending on your buffs and the opponent you face, you may nor may not want to level a 23 carry pet. Take this as an example.

Carry pet, level 23, already has 1400 EXP out of the 1920 needed to hit level 24.

I know that when facing a pandaria tamer with the safari hat and 25% buff that if a carry pet is level 23, any experience over the first 120 will be wasted as it levels directly to 25 at the the end of that fight. So in this case, my carry pet will waste 1280 EXP that I could have given to another pet.

However, if I am fighting a tamer in Northrend or Cataclysm zone under the same buffs, I know that only experience above the first 1632 will be wasted. Since I am at 1400, that means the carry pet won't hit 25 and no EXP will be wasted. It will be level 24 and only 232 EXP away from 25 (which can be finished off later with a lower level alt in Jade Forest or VotFW).

I probably misspoke when talking about the levelling queue. This might really need to be assigned to the team itself. If I could set a parameter on the team's levelling spot that says no pet above level 23 and not above 1632/1920 can be used for Major Payne. Conversely, I could set the Pandaria tamers to not allow a pet above level 23 and not above 120/1920 as the carry pet.

That said, I am not hard up for it. Right now what I do works: I go through and add all the pets I expect to use for each tamer manually, making sure I both adhere to those rules I mentioned above and in the cases where the carry pet takes damage, I don't allow certain family types (not wise to put an elemental carry pet in for the flowing pandaren spirit with all the tidal waves for example).

Another reason you probably shouldn't worry too much about it is the rules change based on your buffs. Earlier I mentioned safari hat and the 25% buff. If I have a night where I run those AND the 50% buff, I would need to go into the team rules to change them just for that night anyways. All of a sudden any level 23 would waste EXP with all those buffs, I would have to retune the rules for a lower level and EXP limit.

Sorry I know this is rambling and all. Also, I realize that I am one of few who even want the feature, which probably means you shouldn't consider it anyways. You are doing a lot of great things with this addon. I don't want to detract from your good work....I think I am just glad you are open to ideas and willing to discuss.

Also as a final and somewhat not completely related note. You mentioned your Addon doesn't know how much EXP you will gain. While the game doesn't tell you outright until the end of a fight, in theory, you do know. If you know the NPC ID and the parameters for that NPC ID (multipliers and such), it's trivial to calculate the EXP you expect. That said, I think that is probably getting far out of the scope of you addon. I only mention it so you know there is a possibility. For what I am talking about above, your addon wouldn't need to know the EXP a particular fight would give unless you were automating it anyways.

Gello

Post by Gello » March 8th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Yeah I think you're right and this would be more of a setting saved for the team. The current plan is for a max level but it can be partial like 23.73 for 1400/1920 within 23.

It sounds odd but I'd like to avoid making the addon aware of specifics of what you're about to fight for the time being. NPCs will always be added. Different xp bonuses will be added. I could track NPC IDs or level of what you just mousedover before a wild fight and the state of your buffs and safari hat and whatever they add in WoD. Ideally the addon should evolve to something flexible that can be applied to a wide variety of situations without pre-programmed tables of what to expect.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 9th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Agreed. Having played with it some, some more thoughts:

1. Possible to add sorting directions (ascending/descending)? When I had few 25s, it was always sorted descending so I could get to my 25's quickly. Now that I have over 400 25's, I sometimes swap to ascending sort to find my lowbies.

2. I think I remember someone else asking this but the radio buttons for family/strong/tough is restrictive. If I want to find a pet that is both tough against one pet and strong against another, I cannot.

Very pleased with the changes so far.

Gello

Post by Gello » March 10th, 2014, 12:12 am

So steps:
1. Type extra
3. Type plating
Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the screenshot you posted. And looking through the default's implementation of hybrid scrollframes it should've reset the offset to start. The 2.3.2 version just posted to wowinterface (and curse but curse can take several hours to approve) has a small check to correct the offset. Let me know if it still happens after you've tried the update.

On sorting, yeah there's been a couple requests to have ascending/descending. When I add sort by health, power and speed there will probabaly be a thin bar across the bottom of the pulldown typebar with buttons for each (name, level, rarity, type, health, power, speed). I'll see about making clicking the the button descending sort/reverse sort depending on whether it was in that sort already.

On the combined strong/tough filters, I think if left as is it may not be obvious what's filtered on both sides so it'd kinda require flipping back and forth (or worse, forgetting the other was set so you get unexpected results). It's possible to have both radio buttons lit to indicate both have something set within them. But I'm not a fan of the look of those radio buttons right now so it may change.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » March 10th, 2014, 1:30 am

Gello wrote:
I would like to be able to set criteria for leveling slots in each team. Maybe have a check list menu (similar to the menu for the hide/show options for Pet Journal Enhanced) that comes up when you right click on a slot and designate it as a leveling slot.

The minimum criteria that I would want to use for a check list would be:
1) Pet Family
2) Pet Level
3) Percentage of XP over what was required to gain current level (I think this one would be best as simply a min/max option)

Everyone has different methods of pet leveling, so others might want other options for such a menu... and someone else might think of something that I would also want, but which I did not think of.

I would like to have an option to designate all pets that meet certain criteria as leveling pets rather than having to select each pet individually (so for my top off teams, all pets of level 24 would be in the leveling queue etc). Then have a sorting function (personally, I mark all pets that I might actively use in pet battles as favorites and give those top attention when I level pets, but my ultimate goal is all pets at level 25).
Per-slot criterea may be a lot but I'll keep it in mind. There are definitely different preferences of leveling pets.

What do you mean by percentage of XP over what was required to gain level?

The plan right now is to create a save/edit dialog to set leveling pet options for a team. So far the only two planned criterea are minimum hp and maximum level. When loading a team with these criterea saved it will fetch from the queue only pets that meet those criterea.

But it's still in planning stages. It will have to wait until after the browser gets attached.
I'm not sure how to explain percentage of xp over what is required to gain a level... but let me try.

When I load a leveling pet in a slot, the xp bar shows the progress already gained as a percentage.

Example 1, if I was using one of my "top off" teams against an Outlands Tamer (or in a wild pet battle), I would want priority given to those pets that need the least amount of xp to level. (Note: my "top off" teams are leveling pets that have already reached level 24.)

Example 2, if I load a level 23 pet that already has a certain amount of xp already gained to fight a Pandaren Tamer, it will level to 25 from that fight. If it is below a certain point, it will only reach level 24 (at which point I move it to the queue for my "top off" teams). I would want to give priority to the ones that would hit 25 over those that would only hit 24... if that is possible. If it's not, it is no biggy.

I basically have 2 leveling queues. Currently, I am manually adding a leveling pet to the teams for fighting the Pandaren Tamers (to insure that the pets I level against a certain Tamer are the right family, etc to use against that particular Tamer), and using the auto queue from the add on for topping off the level 24 pets I have.

Edit: I see, after reading some of the other posts, that some people want the reverse of what I want in this regard. Just another example of how each pet battler has different needs. My main reason for wanting this way, is because I have no pets under 23 at this time and my goal is all at 25, the sooner the better.

Gello

Post by Gello » March 10th, 2014, 6:06 am

some people want the reverse of what I want in this regard. Just another example of how each pet battler has different needs.
Absolutely.

Would a queue sort do what you wanted? Sort the queue by descending level (and keep in mind level will be partials also: level 23 with 1400/1920 xp will be level 23.73 and a level 23 with 0/1920 will be 23.00 for sorting purposes). So the pets closest to 25 are at the top. As they hit 25 they leave the queue.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 10th, 2014, 7:19 pm

scroll bug appears to be fixed in 2.3.2. AT least I cannot make it happen again, so that is good.

Gello

Post by Gello » March 17th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Since this is where the sort request came from, I thought it worth mentioning I tried to get some sort options (at least a reverse sort) in today's update (2.3.3) but unfortunately the methods I've tried so far took too much memory (200k is not a lot, but 200k ontop of a <500k addon is not really acceptable), or too much processing time ("busy" filter test went from 2.5ms to 25ms, which is probably not noticable either and may be the option I go with after some optimizations if I don't find a decent compromise). But I haven't given up. I just took a break from it and did some UI changes.

But in the meantime, and it's not a real solution, I've added little buttons at the top and bottom of the scrollbar to jump to the start and end of the list.

Also, you can search 1-24 (or <25) and it will limit the pets listed to those under 25.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 17th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Question about the sorting ascending/descending: Are you trying to rebuild the list upside-down or are you trying to display a rightside-up list in reverse order? I could see the former taking a lot of memory, but I wouldn't expect displaying the list in reverse order to be nearly as memory intensive nor really processing intensive.

I'm not a lua expert mind you. I never have programmed in it other than making some adjustments in addons here and there. In my head I was thinking something like:

if ascending
index = (numVals + 1) - i + offset
else
index = i + offset

display(pet, index)

or something similar. Sorry if this is a weird question

EDIT: I realize that is oversimplifying the idea a lot, but just trying to convey the idea via some sort of psuedo code

Gello

Post by Gello » March 17th, 2014, 9:00 pm

My goal is to be able to sort all pets by health, power and speed, with an option to group favorites together or sort with the rest. So you can pick the biggest exploding pet, the hardest hitting alpha strike or the fastest critter.

After a week of trying different methods to get an efficient flexible sort, I just said screw it and added a reverse option to flip the table like you mention. It looked cheap not only for favorites being at the bottom and missing at the top, but the secondary sort on non-alpha sorts is reverse alpha Z-A. Even with favorites at the top and missing at the bottom (can move continuous tables among itself easily) the reverse alpha really bugged me.

So I scrapped it sorry. But don't worry there will be a sort option. It's very doable. It just needs to be as optimized as possible and all this experimentation will ensure it's done properly with minimal impact (especially for users who don't care about custom sorts).

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 17th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Gotcha!

Sorry for the weird questions!