Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us
Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Voskres » October 3rd, 2014, 10:50 am

Where does the data save so maybe I can backup this folder and see? I may be having probs with other addons too and I want to know where it is and maybe where it goes.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » October 3rd, 2014, 5:06 pm

In general, your addons' saved stuff is stored in:

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\%accountname%\SavedVariables\ <-- account-wide addon settings
World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\%accountname%\%realmname%\%charactername%\SavedVariables\ <- per-character addon settings
(replace %accountname% with your account name, %realmname% with realm, %charactername% with character)

(Rematch only uses account-wide savedvariables.)

On Windows vista/7/8, the default location of WoW is Program Files x86. If WoW is installed there, it gets weird. Windows forces WoW to write settings to the Virtual Storage. To access it, first you need to display hidden files and folders:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/showing-hidden-files-and-folders-pc

Then settings are stored in:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\%accountname%\SavedVariables\ <- account-wide addon settings
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\%accountname%\%realmname%\%charactername%\SavedVariables\ <- per-character addon settings
(replace %username% with your windows account username, %accountname% and rest as described above).

And yeah that is kind of ridiculous. To make life simpler, it's a common recommendation to move WoW entirely out of Program Files and into its own folder, like C:\Users\Public\Games. Then addon settings (and everything else WoW-related) will save into the WoW folder instead of the virtual storage.

As for why addons are not saving settings, a few causes:
- WoW is not running as administrator and can't save stuff to virtual storage.
- The files are flagged as read-only and WoW can't replace what's there when you logout/reload.
- Addons are using up too much memory and any further savedvariables will not be loaded (but you should get an error for this so it'd be very clear it's happening).

Moksu
Pet Score:2148
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Moksu » October 5th, 2014, 3:23 am

This addon still got bugs, so i don't need to switch from PetBattle Teams? (Can i import from PetBattle Teams)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 5th, 2014, 8:52 am

Moksu wrote:This addon still got bugs, so i don't need to switch from PetBattle Teams? (Can i import from PetBattle Teams)
It has an import option in the options window to copy all your PBT teams, that way it doesn't affect your PBT addon at all (you can run both at the same time). That way you can try it out and see how you like it without losing PBT incase you want to still use it.

EDIT: Just remember that after you copy your PBT teams into Rematch that you need to rename the Rematch versions to match the tamer's exact names since Rematch does auto load based on name matching. You can leave your PBT team names as they were though.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gello

Post by Gello » October 5th, 2014, 9:55 am

Helbrecht wrote:I'm really enjoying using Rematch, but I do have one problem. Rematch won't show icons for custom team groups; it allows me to select an icon on the group edit screen, but once I click ok the icon is just blank. The default General team icon is visible, but none of my custom group icons are. Do you have any idea what's going on with that?
In investigating this there's unfortunately no leads on a fix yet. When you say it's blank, is the icon a blank neon green square? Or a black square? Or is it the red question mark?

Once the 6.0 patch hits (hopefully Oct 14), how those icons are handled will automatically switch to a new method for 6.0. The problem may fix itself, but I'll continue to consider possible causes.
This addon still got bugs, so i don't need to switch from PetBattle Teams? (Can i import from PetBattle Teams)
Aww. I like to think Rematch is very stable. There are just a few fringe behaviors and bugs but it shouldn't be an issue for the vast majority of users. That said, you should use the addon you like most. If PBT works for you, it's totally fine to keep using it.

And yeah as Jere mentioned it can import PBT teams from a button if you scroll to the end of options. Just make sure PBT and Rematch are both enabled together (so it can read the PBT teams--the button isn't there if PBT is disabled).

Moksu

Post by Moksu » October 6th, 2014, 8:07 am

Jerebear wrote:
EDIT: Just remember that after you copy your PBT teams into Rematch that you need to rename the Rematch versions to match the tamer's exact names since Rematch does auto load based on name matching. You can leave your PBT team names as they were though.
How does this work when there is one space left for all the pandaren dailies?

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 6th, 2014, 11:17 am

Moksu wrote:
Jerebear wrote:
How does this work when there is one space left for all the pandaren dailies?

What do you mean? I don't understand your question.

Moksu

Post by Moksu » October 7th, 2014, 1:09 am

Jerebear wrote:
What do you mean? I don't understand your question.
if i want to level my low level pets with dailies, so i automatically got one empty pet slot in Pet battle teams, is it possible to select manually teams in rematch or how have you done the leveling.

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » October 7th, 2014, 1:39 am

My drops may have been due to BSOD issue I was having. Haven't had any dump issues lately. Running windowed version currently.

Gello

Post by Gello » October 7th, 2014, 5:28 am

My drops may have been due to BSOD issue I was having. Haven't had any dump issues lately. Running windowed version currently.
Oops yeah. BSOD (or game client crashes or alt+F4 or anything that abruptly closes the game) will not allow the game to write out what addons were doing since the start of the session. Everything you do will be lost.

I hope your computer problems clear up. But if you fear a BSOD may be possible, after you've done any lengthy setup of any addon, /reload will write everything out to disk. So the loss of addon setup will be minimal.
if i want to level my low level pets with dailies, so i automatically got one empty pet slot in Pet battle teams, is it possible to select manually teams in rematch or how have you done the leveling.
Absolutely.

But, as of 6.0 patch (probably next week), I'm pretty confident it will become impossible for any addon to empty a pet slot. PBT, Rematch or otherwise. Blizzard appears to have removed the ability for addons to empty slots in WoD.

Until then, teams can have an empty slot. You can manually choose to load those teams, then load the low level pet alongside them.

For Rematch it's not a big deal to lose the ability to empty slots because it has a leveling pet system:

In the Pets tab there's a leveling slot on the right. If you drag a low level pet there, then save a team with the leveling pet, that slot in the team is designated as the leveling pet. Leveling pets are marked by a thick gold border.

Anytime you load a team saved with a leveling pet, it will pull a pet from the leveling slot into the spot reserved for them.

There's also a leveling queue. You can toss as many low level pets as you want into the leveling slot and they will stack into a queue below the leveling slot.

When a leveling pet reaches 25, the next pet in the queue will automatically swap in to the leveling slot.

You can sort the queue, choose to have the pet slot automatically rotate through the queue, manually move pets around the queue, or if you want you can just double click a pet in the queue to move it to the leveling slot.

It's just occurred to me that importing teams from PBT after 6.0, empty slots should probably be converted to leveling slots. I hadn't planned an update until after 6.0 goes live but I'll see if I can get one posted this week to cover that.

Morebeer
Pet Score:6524
Realm:Tanaris-us

Post by Morebeer » October 8th, 2014, 9:23 am

I love this addon, but I do not use PetBattleTeams. I prefer PetBattleMaster for my teams so I do not have and export/Import button for this one. I would like too, but it is okay. I just wanted to say Great work on an incredible addon. Does anybody want to share teams using the export button or maybe we could start a new thread?

This is my Obalis Team!!!

Obalis:66824:339:515:647:334:1322:113:647:282:716:380:382:383:

Helbrecht
Pet Score:4274
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Helbrecht » October 8th, 2014, 11:07 am

Gello wrote:
Helbrecht wrote:I'm really enjoying using Rematch, but I do have one problem. Rematch won't show icons for custom team groups; it allows me to select an icon on the group edit screen, but once I click ok the icon is just blank. The default General team icon is visible, but none of my custom group icons are. Do you have any idea what's going on with that?
In investigating this there's unfortunately no leads on a fix yet. When you say it's blank, is the icon a blank neon green square? Or a black square? Or is it the red question mark?

Once the 6.0 patch hits (hopefully Oct 14), how those icons are handled will automatically switch to a new method for 6.0. The problem may fix itself, but I'll continue to consider possible causes.

Thanks for looking into it, Gello! The blank icons are just black squares. The general tab has its default icon, and the "Add Group" button has its "+" icon, but the icons for custom groups I make are simply black boxes. When I edit a group or add a new group, I can see/pick from all of the icons, and the selected icon correctly previews in the top left of the window, but once I click OK the icon simply isn't there anymore. I'll try to post a screenshot when I get home.

It's hardly game breaking, and I love Rematch overall. Thanks for all the work you've put into it!

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » October 11th, 2014, 3:48 am

I have had an issue recently - I decided to create groups for my teams. Cata, Outland etc. The problem was, once I'd moved the teams into the groups, my teams stopped autoloading when I clicked on the trainers. I had to delete all of the groups and teams and start from scratch to get them to autoload again.

Is there something I'm missing?

BTW, love your add-on. It's fantastic.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Gello, is there anything we need to do to make sure Rematch teams are properly maintained for the patch tomorrow? I don't know if the Beta changes start tomorrow or not?

Gello

Post by Gello » October 13th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Hermy wrote:I have had an issue recently - I decided to create groups for my teams. Cata, Outland etc. The problem was, once I'd moved the teams into the groups, my teams stopped autoloading when I clicked on the trainers. I had to delete all of the groups and teams and start from scratch to get them to autoload again.

Is there something I'm missing?

BTW, love your add-on. It's fantastic.
They should continue to auto load when moved to different team. It's too bad you deleted them, I would've been interested in seeing the export of one of the affected teams.
Jerebear wrote:Gello, is there anything we need to do to make sure Rematch teams are properly maintained for the patch tomorrow? I don't know if the Beta changes start tomorrow or not?
*crosses fingers* I'm hoping everything transitions smoothly.

Yeah the beta changes start tomorrow. All battle pet addons that save petIDs are in for a major bump. Blizzard is changing the format of petIDs...and it's not guaranteed the petIDs will remain nearly the same. It could be all petIDs for every user will get reset. Fortunately, Rematch is equipped to handle that.

If you're super paranoid, you can export your teams to a text file and import them after the dust settles if everything blows up. (I had hoped to get a mass export option up by now, but with over 20 addons to get ready for 6.0--some requiring substantial work--I just didn't have time, sadly.) Making a backup of the savedvar can't hurt but due to the petIDs changing it won't be a great help either. There's no way to roll back data once Blizzard patches 6.0. The old data will be kinda meaningless.

Tonight or tomorrow morning I'll upload a common version (3.0.15) that will be for both live and beta clients. In the event wowinterface and curse kick the bucket, any recent version of Rematch should work in 6.0. (MoP versions will need to have the first line of the toc edited to get rid of the annoying confirmation whether to load it on login, but the 3.0.15 version ready to post will be for everyone at last.)

When you log in to 6.0, Rematch will automatically convert all petIDs and the leveling queue from the MoP format ("0x00009FBC") to the WoD format ("BattlePet-0-00009FBC").

There's a very real chance that this conversion won't work (no way to test it), so the fallback plan is that teams will rebuild themselves based on the speciesIDs stored in each team. It will pick the highest level and highest rarity of each pet for any slot with an unrecognized petID. Important: It will not pick and choose based on breeds you had in a slot previously. If your teams have level 25 P/S zandalari kneebiter in one team and a 25 P/P kneebiter in another, Rematch will pick one or the other without regard to the breed that was there before. So those situations you'd want to review the teams afterwards.

In the event the petID conversion doesn't work, the leveling queue will be wiped also.

So at worst, the leveling queue should be gone. Well, at worst a lot worse can happen but I'm hoping it's prepared enough.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » October 16th, 2014, 9:38 am

I just installed your addon Gello and finally gave the finger to Battlepet Teams (and PJE). Loving it already! However, I have few questions and one feature request:
  • Is the filtering option(s) meant to reset by itself?

For example, with PJE I always filtered out the pets which can't fight. Your addon can do the same thing ofc, but for some reason, it doesn't remember this option and it tends to reset by itself. I found it a minor annoyance to go set this option over and over.
  • Any plans on adding an option to display the full pet names instead of the ones the player has renamed them?
  • Would it be hard to implement a secondary sorting?

Now it's either Name/Level/Rarity/Type and it would be awesome to sort the pets again after that. For instance, first sort by Level and then by Name etc.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Gello

Post by Gello » October 16th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Ryazan wrote:I just installed your addon Gello and finally gave the finger to Battlepet Teams (and PJE). Loving it already! However, I have few questions and one feature request:
Thanks!
  • Is the filtering option(s) meant to reset by itself?

For example, with PJE I always filtered out the pets which can't fight. Your addon can do the same thing ofc, but for some reason, it doesn't remember this option and it tends to reset by itself. I found it a minor annoyance to go set this option over and over.
It is. It figures if you filtered down what you needed and dismissed it, then you no longer need to filter down to that narrowed list again. It avoids the need to reset the list everytime you start using it to find something.

Permanently removing non-combat pets are kind of special, so it has a checkbox in the main options under Pet Browser Options: "Only battle pets"

Do you (or anyone) think there's a need to not reset in between uses? That can be an option easily enough.
  • Any plans on adding an option to display the full pet names instead of the ones the player has renamed them?
That would be a trivial option to add. I'll add it to notes.
  • Would it be hard to implement a secondary sorting?

Now it's either Name/Level/Rarity/Type and it would be awesome to sort the pets again after that. For instance, first sort by Level and then by Name etc.
Extra sorting options have been on the table for a while. The goal is to sort by power, speed, health, with options like not grouping favorites at the top. I did try a couple different methods but they failed profiling tests and felt like too much of a burden. One sacrificed performance for memory, another sacrificed memory for performance. As complex as the addon is, I'm constantly trying to keep it tight. Now that 6.0 is launched and none of my other addons need my immediate attention, sorting should appear relatively soon as I resume real work on the addon.

That said, I hadn't really considered a secondary sort. Once custom sorting is in, technically doing it would be trivial. The "hard" part would be how to designate what the secondary sort is. Have the last-chosen sort be the secondary sort? When you choose 'Type' in the sort menu have a second menu pop out? Column headers on the list to click? Just thinking about it for a minute the first option may be best. Except I'd be afraid the order may become confusing since someone choosing to sort by Type then goes back and sorts by Name will get a different sort than they had previosly. Maybe a checkbox at the bottom of the sort menu 'Use secondary sort' or something. I'll add this to notes for when custom sorting is in, thanks!

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 16th, 2014, 2:14 pm

I haven't installed your add-on yet but I will be, since it seems to be a popular alternative to Pet Battle Teams, which the 5.4 guide recommends. I figure if people wanted Tom-Tom waypoint macros they will probably also want easy-to-import teams for yours, may as well get ahead of the request if I can figure it out. :)

As far as setting the tool to allow for auto-reset the criteria vs not auto-reset, I can say that having it be a single, top-level button would be the ideal. There are times when I've wanted to keep all but 1 or 2 filter settings (like, say, lvl 25 pets only, that I only have 1 of the pet) but have changed the other filters based on what I was looking for (like levelling x pets to 25, when I wanted them to be unique and not copies of the same pet). Other times I've done a completely different search for weird settings and so having a button to reset everything (except excluding the "non-battle pets" which you already cover) would be nice. TL;DR - can we have both? :mrgreen:

Gello

Post by Gello » October 16th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Yeah both is doable. It can be an option whether to remember filters or not.

For technical reasons (interaction with default pet journal and other addons) I'd like to reset the search box. I may have that be the only one to reset even with the option enabled. And I can easily throw a max-level/not max-level option in the filters so the level 25 filter can be permanent. (Right now to filter by levels you search level=25 or level=1-24 or level<25, level=8-14 etc)

edit: btw for TomTom macros to dailies, another of my addons has this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21993-BattlePetDailyTamer.html
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/battle-pet-daily-tamer

It marks the map for dailies you haven't completed, and if TomTom is installed you can ctrl+right click a paw to set a waypoint there.

Having Rematch deal with dailies or tamers kinda falls out of the scope of the addon right now.

Riddley
Pet Score:10464
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Riddley » October 16th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Jerebear wrote:It has an import option in the options window to copy all your PBT teams

Where is this option? Do I need to have PBT loaded for it to work? The scroll bar in the options window is a little wonky, so I'm not sure I'm seeing everything. I have Targeting Options, Window Options, Pet Browser Options, Miscellaneous and a KeyBindings button. I don't see a PBT import under any of those.