Yeah an alteration of the battle UI was scrapped for a couple reasons:
- I'd like to prevent this addon from getting involved in the battles themselves. Notes are very much a part of teams, and it's very useful to see them in battle, so I'm not totally opposed to adding a notes button, but tinkering with the battle UI feels like it crosses the line when the addon is not meant to be dealing with the battles.
- A big reason that relates to #3 the most, but once you start moving stuff around in any established default UI and adding your own stuff, like that big button, you are now and forever in perpetuity responsible for its interaction with all other addons that have been or will ever be. It's easy to say "Sorry, rematch is not compatable with <other addon that tinkers with battle UI>", but there needs to be a very compelling reason to kick other addons to the curb. And the typical way of making this more compelling is by feature creep. X addon adds Y to the battle UI but can't work with Rematch. Could you add it? Likely, but I'd rather remove the incompatability first. Since Rematch is unlikely to ever get involved in the battles themselves, I think it's more responsible to just stay out of the battle UI entirely so it never needs to worry about what other addons are doing to it.
The second point is also a major reason why the addon is standalone and not integrated into the journal. Do you use PetJournalEnhanced? You would not be able to if Rematch put its list of pets there. (Even the default list doesn't coexist with PJE. PJE hides the default and puts its own there. It just happens to look just like default with minor tweaks.) PetTracker which lots of people use, replaces the map tracking button with its own, so addons that modify that menu are kicked to the curb, including my Battle Pet Daily Tamer addon. I don't mind since PetTracker has 1000x the users Battle Pet Daily Tamer has, and I can totally sympathize with the desire to bypass the default's taint-prone drop-down menus.
But I really, really want to keep Rematch 100% compatable with all addons out there. It's friendlier to the addon ecosystem, it reduces feature creep (X addons adds Y to battle UI, can you add it? You can use X and I don't need to lift a finger!), it drastically reduces maintenance, and I don't need to support other addons or interaction with those other addons.
Sorry for rambling! All that said, I've thought of putting a little button docked to an edge of that panel, maybe along the top with the loaded team's name and the notes button. Maybe a button to the left to toggle the window too. It wouldn't shove stuff around the battle UI, but just be an attached addition.
For now there's a few ways to pull up notes once you're in battle:
- Have 'Show notes in battle' option to automatically summon them when you enter a battle.
- Bind a key to Toggle Notes.
- Pull up rematch via /rematch or key binding (or LDB if your bar remains during battle) and click the notes button in the titlebar beside the loaded teams' name.
And certainly I can increase the max limit of notes. It's 2k now, I'll bump it up to 4k for next update. Or does it need to be greater? WoW's editbox is not meant to handle extremely large amounts of text and you get some issues with 10k+.