Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us
Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Gello » January 16th, 2015, 9:52 am

Foxxi wrote:One is to have a way to apply a rule for leveling pets to all teams ( thinking max level for pet of 23 rule). It would be nice to be able to just say apply this to all current and future teams rather than having to apply the rule to each team made manually.
This is doable and may be pretty cool. Would preferences for a tab be okay? Right-click a tab, set preferences, and then all teams within the tab have those preferences. I'll add this to my notes.
And along the same vein, it would be nice to see the rules for leveling pets be extended. I love that it allows magic and mechanical pets to ignore the minimum hp rule, but it would be nice to also be able to apply different minimum hp rules for different pet types. So say if you're fighting something and you know your leveling pet is going to get hit with a humanoid ability, you may say dragonkin pets need a higher minimum hp, a lower amount for beasts, and a third standard number for anything else.
Yeah at least a preference for pet vulnerability is definitely planned, probably with a bar of buttons like in Iibis' mockup on the previous page. Click one or several and will increase the minimum hp by 50% for pets of those types. If minimum health is 500, any types chosen will have an effective minimum health of 750. Fortunately it's set up internally to handle adding new preferences easily.

Gello

Post by Gello » January 26th, 2015, 3:52 pm

I can't decide where to put a notes button on the battle UI to show/hide notes for a team. So throwing this out there:

#1 would probably be missed entirely by 90% of users.
#2 looked really weird with a lone button there so I added a second that could toggle the main window.
#3 is obnoxious to me.
(#4 is default for comparison, no notes button there)

Any preferences? Or thoughts on another place?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 26th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't have been looking for it in any of those spots so I would probably have missed in 1 & 2 both. I do agree that 3 is a bit overkill and would not want it even tho it was probably the only one I would have noticed. My first reaction would have been to look for it in the Rematch window not in the pet battle UI window.

How is modifying the Pet Battle Window going to affect compatibility with other add-ons? Off hand I don't think I've got any other add-ons that change that window but I could be wrong. I've had a number add-ons installed pretty much since I've started doing pet battles so I'm a bit fuzzy on what is default and what is part of an add-on and generally only notice when something I'm used to is missing because an Add-on isn't installed or stopped working.

Gello

Post by Gello » January 26th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Actually, that's a great option too, to not have it at all. There's already a notes button at the top of the rematch window for the loaded team if it has any. This may be superfluous.

Compatibility wouldn't be a major problem. If parts it was attaching to aren't in their expected places, it just wouldn't attach. Similar to how the Rematch button in the journal looks to see what else is anchored along the bottom to find a free spot.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » January 27th, 2015, 6:38 am

Gello wrote:I can't decide where to put a notes button on the battle UI to show/hide notes for a team. So throwing this out there:

#1 would probably be missed entirely by 90% of users.
#2 looked really weird with a lone button there so I added a second that could toggle the main window.
#3 is obnoxious to me.
(#4 is default for comparison, no notes button there)

Any preferences? Or thoughts on another place?
I like #3 most... But I must admit, I haven't gotten around to switch from PBT/ASH combo to Rematch yet.. :oops: Shame on me..

Can the notes be open while fighting, while the rest of Rematch is closed?

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 31st, 2015, 8:40 am

While you are adding things to the UI, could you add a button for the command /dismisspet? When using the leveling stones on pets in the leveling queue, when the pet hits 25 you either need to type the command, summon and dismiss a different pet, or search for the one that is now 25 to dismiss. A button would be a cool little extra feature. While I know using the stones to get the last level isn't anything you have to do with, I'm just looking for 1 more thing to speed up the use of the tool (and allow me to be lazy, naturally). :D

Thanks as always for your great work!

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » January 31st, 2015, 9:16 am

Having used Rematch, only for a few days, Iv're noticed something I miss from my PBT/ASH combo:
  • Silent team switch, i.e. don't ask if team should be switch, JUST DO IT
  • Rematch-window is glued to Pet Journal (like PBT)
  • A button to use Pet Heal/Pet Bandage inside Rematch window
  • ASH auto-accepts a trainers quest, the first time you clicked him and auto-engaged the trainer the second time. Would be nice to have same feature.
Other ideas from the back of my head:
  • Right now, you can drag a pet in the levelling queue, but you cannot drop it. Please make this happen for easy manual sorting
  • More than 1 level queue. Some trainers can be soloed (e.g. Burning Panda Spirit), which makes room for 2 level pets. One of them is preferably a level 24, because 2 level pets (one high, one low level) doesn't make you loose XP. Other fights (e.g. wild pets) might want a pure level 1 queue, where trainers er usually too dangerous for pets below level 5 and some even higher.
  • Make it possible for the same team to be tied to more than 1 NPCID for autoswitch
All in all, GREAT WORK!!

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » January 31st, 2015, 9:45 am

FuxieDK wrote:[*]Rematch-window is glued to Pet Journal (like PBT)
[*]A button to use Pet Heal/Pet Bandage inside Rematch window
Because rematch actually cannot do certain things when you have the Journal open (because it effectively replaces it) I'm not sure docking it to the journal is even possible (plus then it'd take up the entire screen, which is counter to what he's done). But that's for him to decide.

There is a button for both pet heal and pet bandage (incl showing you how many you have) they are the bottom left buttons in the UI. Heal - Bandage - PvP Queue - Pets - Teams - Options - Reload - Save

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 31st, 2015, 10:43 am

FuxieDK wrote: Right now, you can drag a pet in the levelling queue, but you cannot drop it. Please make this happen for easy manual sorting
Definitely agree. This would be a welcome feature.
FuxieDK wrote: Silent team switch, i.e. don't ask if team should be switch, JUST DO IT
It already does this for me. The only time it asks me is if I make a manual change after already having the team loaded. Perhaps a settings issue?
FuxieDK wrote: More than 1 level queue. Some trainers can be soloed (e.g. Burning Panda Spirit), which makes room for 2 level pets. One of them is preferably a level 24, because 2 level pets (one high, one low level) doesn't make you loose XP. Other fights (e.g. wild pets) might want a pure level 1 queue, where trainers er usually too dangerous for pets below level 5 and some even higher.
This doesn't address your issue directly, but his latest version adds the ability to add carry pet requirements to a team, which would allow you to disallow carry pets based on HP and level. It's new, so I am sure he is open to suggestions for improvement.
FuxieDK wrote: Make it possible for the same team to be tied to more than 1 NPCID for autoswitch[/list]
This is already possible in a sense. I use the same team on a couple of tamers. I just saved it to both tamers and it worked. It creates two copies of the team in my list, but it is the same team. However, changes to one team copy don't affect the other (and they probably shouldn't since each tamer is different).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gello

Post by Gello » January 31st, 2015, 12:39 pm

Thanks as always guys for the suggestions!
Rendigar wrote:While you are adding things to the UI, could you add a button for the command /dismisspet? When using the leveling stones on pets in the leveling queue, when the pet hits 25 you either need to type the command, summon and dismiss a different pet, or search for the one that is now 25 to dismiss. A button would be a cool little extra feature. While I know using the stones to get the last level isn't anything you have to do with, I'm just looking for 1 more thing to speed up the use of the tool (and allow me to be lazy, naturally). :D
It annoys me too having to summon/dismiss a pet to get rid of one. I'll see how it works out. It's a timely suggestion too. Here's an early screenshot of the stretchier UI I've been working on this week:

I've not started working on the top area yet (pets will be centered), where these buttons would go on the sides:
  • Lesser Pet Treats - with a count of how many remain (like bandages) and a reverse cooldown when a buff is running to show remaining duration; click to use a treat (but it can't target the pet, you have to target the pet manually).
  • Pet Treats - with a count, reverse cooldown, etc too.
  • Safari Hat - push in to turn on safari hat; push out to turn it off.
  • Dismiss pet? - empty slot when no pet is out, contains the summoned pet when a pet is out; click to dismiss it.
Is there anything else worth adding? Some UI for upgrade stones have been suggested, but I really don't think it's something this addon needs to handle.

When the window is as its narrowest, it won't show the extra buttons. They'll appear as you widen the window with the resize grip.

The ubiquitous square push buttons will be made 50% wider (maybe 100% wider--haven't gotten to that yet).

I thought of moving the pet heal, bandages and find battle buttons into that area to balance the two treats+safari hat once the pets are centered, but maybe two buttons on each side: treats on one side, safari hat and dismiss pet on the other.
FuxieDK wrote:Having used Rematch, only for a few days, Iv're noticed something I miss from my PBT/ASH combo:
[*]Silent team switch, i.e. don't ask if team should be switch, JUST DO IT
Turn on Auto Load. It will load the team without prompting.
[*]Rematch-window is glued to Pet Journal (like PBT)
I understand what you're saying. The journal is a familiar/expected place to handle pets. And I will likely address that later, but Rematch is intended to be a pet journal alternative. It can work alongside the journal, but it's meant to be stand-alone. Everything you can do in the journal you can do in Rematch.

Also, one reason Rematch works alongside other addons so well is it stays away from the journal. For instance, PetJournal Enhanced removes the default pet list and replaces it with its own. Were I to move Rematch's list/search/etc to the default journal, PJE (and other addons that expect either PJE or default) would stop working.

Of course familiarity is important. I'll probably create a "Rematch Journal Companion" or something better named that would be an optional module. I haven't decided if it will be just teams attached to the side or whether it'd take over the journal the way PetJournal Enhanced does.
[*]A button to use Pet Heal/Pet Bandage inside Rematch window
As Rendigar said, the bottom two left buttons are Revive Battle Pets and Battle Pet Bandages.
[*]ASH auto-accepts a trainers quest, the first time you clicked him and auto-engaged the trainer the second time. Would be nice to have same feature.
This may go beyond the scope of the addon. I think a small separate addon could handle this nicely. The addon's scope is managing pets and their teams. But I'll consider it.
Other ideas from the back of my head:
[*]Right now, you can drag a pet in the levelling queue, but you cannot drop it. Please make this happen for easy manual sorting
You should be able to drop it? You should see a blinking gold line showing where the pet would insert when it's dropped.
[*]More than 1 level queue. Some trainers can be soloed (e.g. Burning Panda Spirit), which makes room for 2 level pets. One of them is preferably a level 24, because 2 level pets (one high, one low level) doesn't make you loose XP. Other fights (e.g. wild pets) might want a pure level 1 queue, where trainers er usually too dangerous for pets below level 5 and some even higher.
As Jerebear said you may want to look into preferences. And for the two carry pets you can save a team with two pets from the queue and it will reserve both slots for leveling pets.
[*]Make it possible for the same team to be tied to more than 1 NPCID for autoswitch
Ironically, the inverse will become possible (having multiple teams for the same npcID) relatively soon.

A big problem with saving the same team across multiple npcIDs is its implementation. Assuming the code and UI could be done (which it could), how would you envision that happening?
Jerebear wrote:
FuxieDK wrote: Right now, you can drag a pet in the levelling queue, but you cannot drop it. Please make this happen for easy manual sorting
Definitely agree. This would be a welcome feature.
This part has me worried. It should be droppable.

When a pet can level (it's under 25 and can battle), if the mouse containing the pet is over the queue it should show a blinking yellow line where the pet would insert when it's dropped. Is that not happening? Do borders of your loaded pets flash at the top of the window?

edit: Actually, there is a situation where you can't drop it: when the queue is sorted. There should be a tooltip that says something like:
The queue is sorted. This pet is already in the queue. Pets can't move while the queue is sorted.
When the queue is sorted, Rematch keeps it sorted; except for the top-most slot unless Full Sort is enabled.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 1st, 2015, 11:42 am

I don't know if the sorting is their Issue but I've always found it to be fairly hard to drag and drop something into the top spot in the queue. It can be done but it always seems like I have to line it up perfectly to get it to drop in and the window is pretty small.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » February 1st, 2015, 1:26 pm

Kpb321 wrote:I don't know if the sorting is their Issue but I've always found it to be fairly hard to drag and drop something into the top spot in the queue. It can be done but it always seems like I have to line it up perfectly to get it to drop in and the window is pretty small.
Can't you just right click the pet and choose "Move to Top", which is what you are trying to do in that situation? The only time it's not available is when you select Full Sort, which makes sense.

Gello

Post by Gello » February 1st, 2015, 1:28 pm

In addition to Move to Top, If you drag a pet onto the leveling slot itself, it will move the pet to the top of the queue.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » February 1st, 2015, 1:30 pm

Doh, I should have seen you were browsing, Gello, and you'd know all the ways :D I actually only use full sort, so I've not done much dragging, I just remember seeing the Move to Top option before I turned on full sort.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 1st, 2015, 3:31 pm

Gello wrote:
edit: Actually, there is a situation where you can't drop it: when the queue is sorted. There should be a tooltip that says something like:
The queue is sorted. This pet is already in the queue. Pets can't move while the queue is sorted.
When the queue is sorted, Rematch keeps it sorted; except for the top-most slot unless Full Sort is enabled.
Yeah that's what is getting me. I still haven't trained my mind that the sorting is automatic even when I am not finishing a battle. In my head, I still think that hitting the sort is instantaneous and that I can modify it after the sorting, so I keep trying to drag things around. Just something I need to train myself on. I'm a creature of habit. Overall, I like the sorting features much better on this iteration vs the previous version.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gello

Post by Gello » February 1st, 2015, 4:22 pm

Jerebear wrote:Yeah that's what is getting me. I still haven't trained my mind that the sorting is automatic even when I am not finishing a battle. In my head, I still think that hitting the sort is instantaneous and that I can modify it after the sorting, so I keep trying to drag things around. Just something I need to train myself on. I'm a creature of habit. Overall, I like the sorting features much better on this iteration vs the previous version.
I'll see about adding a one-time sort option, to sort the unordered queue.

Maybe to avoid confusion, a "Keep Queue Sorted" option that's on by default and when queue options are reset. Unchecking this will mean sorting the queue is a one-time sort of the unordered queue and the queue doesn't actually go into a sort mode.

Gello

Post by Gello » February 4th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Rendigar wrote:While you are adding things to the UI, could you add a button for the command /dismisspet?
As you may notice when/if updating to 3.3.0 that's going to wowinterface and curse tonight, the planned /dismisspet button didn't happen, but it's still there kinda.

The treat buttons on the sidebar will summon a pet if one isn't out and cast a treat if one is (and the buff isn't up). At all times, even if you have no treats, right-clicking the button will dismiss the pet. (The tooltip of the button will clearly say what left and right click will do if it would do anything.)

I had planned to have a combination "Summon Random Favorite Pet/Dismiss Summoned Pet" button in the sidebar. But a grip to pull/push the sidebar was ugly and too skinny, so it became one of the main bottom buttons to toggle instead and the find battle button got moved to the sidebar. I'll probably revisit this again.

Also the recent queue behavior discussion in this thread has resulted in no changes for tonight's update. This was very much a UI-centric update. The next update (barring any bugs that need immediate fixes) will try to make the queue's control over loadout slots less aggressive without changing the queue's overall behavior.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » February 6th, 2015, 3:50 am

A small request for a future release...

A checkbox saying "Auto-add new pets to level-queue"..

Should be self-explanatory..

Gello

Post by Gello » February 12th, 2015, 8:54 am

Just a heads up about how the queue will likely behave in the next update, in case there's any cases I've missed or any functionality lost/needed:

Problem:
  • The queue is too aggressive in controlling what leveling slots are loaded. If you want to load a pet from deeper in the queue, especially alongside another leveling pet, you have to fight the queue to get it to stay. Specifically, you have to move it up higher in the queue.
  • The sort-all-but-top-of-queue concept isn't very intuitive. It's this way so you can sort and still choose a new active leveling pet.
  • I'd like to allow one-time sorts that sorts the queue and doesn't keep it sorted.
  • Adding new options with new rules will add complexity that goes against the goal of making its behavior easy to understand.
So the plan:
  • If you slot a pet from deeper in the queue (that is, you drag anything besides the current leveling pet to one of the 3 loaded slots), the queue will leave the slot alone. To mark its left-alone status, the gold border will be a silver border.
  • Saving a team, loading a team, reload or logout will change the silver borders to gold and return control of those slots to the queue.
  • Full Sort is renamed to Active Sort.
  • The concept of "all but the top-most pet is sorted" goes away. That is, what is presently a sort+no full sort goes away.
  • When Active Sort is off: sorting the queue is a one-time sort that rearranges the order of pets in the queue. You can then move pets around as much as you want. Rematch won't re-order pets as they gain xp. (The top-most pet can remain unchanged with the 'Keep current pet on new sort' option which is in options but not actually used right now.)
  • When Active Sort is on: sorting the queue is what is now a Full Sort. All pets are constantly sorted by the chosen sort method. The order can change as pets gain xp or get added to the queue but there can be no manual changes to the order of pets.
  • When dragging a pet to the leveling slot, choosing "Start Leveling" from a pet menu, or choosing a pet from the pet switcher button, Active Sort is disabled.
I feel this will make the behavior of the queue easier to understand. No more "sort all but top-most pet" business (but if you really want, there'll be an option for that--but the sort won't be constant). More freedom to drag pets around the queue and load them.

Thoughts?

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Buruan » February 12th, 2015, 2:57 pm

I like it,
I pretty much only use the full sort, and have ReMatch do the thinking for me.
Its one the features I love the most about the addon.

I never quite understood the Top Pet gets different rules sorting.

For me personally, I would only need 2 options.
Full sort -- As Implemented today, Addon makes decisions on rotation
Manual Sort -- Drag and Drop, top pet gets leveled to 25 unless I make changes