Complete Celestial Tournament Walkthru and Pet list

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us
Re: Complete Celestial Tournament Walkthru and Pet list

Post by Jerebear » December 31st, 2013, 11:26 pm

Elfuego, great guides by the way. If you are up for any suggestions:

Ion Goldbloom: It might alter your team a bit, and I am not sure how interested you would be in using celestial pets, but Xu-fu owns the flying pet in two rounds usually and can usually kill the 2nd pet as well:

1. Prowl as flyer goes into the air
2. Moonfire the flyer to death
3. Spirit Claws the magic pet to death (over a few rounds)
4. If you kill the magic pet, usually moonfire is available for the direhorn round an xu-fu is faster
5. Finish off the direhorn with pet of your choice.

I like that you used the macabre marionette by the way. He is also really good in the Shademaster Kyrin fight.

1. Death and Decay (this is actually more important for the 2nd pet, but helps withthe first)
2. Dead Man's Party
3. After Dead Man's Party, Bone Bite
4. Bone Bite again and he is dead
5. Dead Man's Party the 2nd pet

The neat thing here, is Macabre Marionette in 2 rounds (final round + undead round) brings the 2nd pet all the way down to 300 health through a combination of the Death and Decay, Dead Man's Party, and the pet's own Lightning Storm.

At this point, I bring in a Turnip to Tidal Wave + Sunlight in order to finish off the 2nd pet, destroy the turret, and change the weather. At that point, you can swap in whatever pet you want for Summer. I use a rascal bot with the Stun and Heal in the 2nd and 3rd slots. I always save the stun for the round right after he prowls to cancel his prowl. I use the heal immediately after the very first stun just to heal up (making use of the sunlight oddly enough) but never use it again. I just attack until he prowls, stun, and continue attacking until he dies.
Last edited by Jerebear on January 1st, 2014, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » January 1st, 2014, 6:49 am

Very helpful! Can't wait to try it out!

Elfuego
Pet Score:3958
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Elfuego » January 2nd, 2014, 5:21 pm

Fenril wrote:Great Guide!!

Just a quick note that you need to correct the URL for "Video Taran Zhu, it is pointing to Chen Stormstout battle that is highlighted below in bold and unline.

Weekly 1: Taran Zhu, Chen Stormstout and Wrathion
Video -All 3 Trainers and 4 Legends Walk-Thru
Video - Taran Zhu Solo Pets - Maggot B/B, Gilnean Raven B/B, Blighthawk P/S
I've gone ahead and updated that link reflecting Taran zhu, thank you for letting me know!

Elfuego

Post by Elfuego » January 2nd, 2014, 5:33 pm

Jerebear wrote:Elfuego, great guides by the way. If you are up for any suggestions:
Jerebear, its really great to hear from experienced players that understand where a well placed stun will completely turn the tides on a match. I get a lot of mail and in game requests for "poor man" teams. Things that aren't so costly like SOn of Animus, which I have to say is really one of my absolute FAVORITE pets! So, with the recent releases, I'm trying to give a few different teams for people to use in case their first string doesn't go well due to RNG, a miss play, ect. Also, I love using pets that people don't consider, like using the Skywisp Moth against Trike. I mean come on, a stun AND call lightning from a flyer.. what?

I am always interested in strategies people come up with and why. I love the Marionette, and hes on my list for shademaster for the next video, I'll give you a shoutout when I post it! That's what this forum is for, for people to read and give feedback, see how they do things and what works for them, not just my thoughts. Thank you for sharing, keep em coming!

Elfuego,
GET OWNED!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 7th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Oh if you needed the exact skill line up:

R1: Death and Decay
R2: Dead Man's Party
R3: Dead Man's Party Continues
R4: Dead Man's Party Continues
R5: Bone Bite (Nairn will heal this round)
R6: Bone Bite (Nairn dies)
R7: Dead Man's Party (Macabre Marionette "dies")
R8: Dead Man's Party continues on the undead round and Stormoen is usually < 300 HP

R8: Turnip casts tidal wave to kill turret
R9: Turnip casts sunlight to kill Stormoen and remove lightning storm

R10: Swap in pet to take on Summer

I typically use Rascal Bot (this is from memory, so might be off).
R11: Summer still has dodge, but casts Prowl. I just pass this round
R12: Stun Summer
R13: Cast rebuild (or whatever the 3 round heal is).
R14: Waiting on rebuild
R15: Rebuild heals to full
R16: Attack while Summer casts Prowl
R17: Stun
R18+: Attack until next prowl happens, then stun and keep attacking(I usually never get to another prowl).

I might try lil' bling to speed the Summer part up.

EDIT: Yeah, lil bling is faster. Each of the 3 times I did it, I got:
R11: Extra Plating
R12: Make it Rain
R13: Inflation
R14: Inflation continues (Summer dies)
Last edited by Jerebear on January 9th, 2014, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » January 9th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Nice guid. And I saved the url to your blog.

The only pet I question in your list is the rabbit. Elfin Rabbit?

Elfin Rabbit (B/B)
Health - 1481
Power - 227
Speed - 325

Grasslands Cottontail (S/S)
Health - 1400
Power - 260
Speed - 325

This rabbit can also practically solo Major Payne three pets (with good RNG crits and Burrow hits). Against Grizzle: Dodge > Flurry > Burrow > and Flurry, Flurry, Flurry during Hybernate > Repeat (note: you have to forfeit and reengage if Grizzle opens with Bash, or you will eat a Rampage for at least half your health, or close to full health when Grizzle crits). With Payne's other two pets, dodge whenever available, burrow whenever available. The only reason I don't solo Payne more often with him is I need to get my TWO carry pets in at some point.

Same goes with Nearly Headless Jacobs; except that the rabbit's abilities aren't perfectly timed with the moves like they are with Grizzle. But again, you can solo Jacobs pets with just one rabbit. I also use a Grasslands, Carry Pet, Grasslands on the one in Deepholm—the grasslands dodges and burrows under most if not all the Stone Rushes, and evades Elementium Bolts. And because I got tired of trying other pet combos, I use two Grasslands and another speed rabbit in the Darkmoon Faire.

(It can also be noted that the "Ash Spiderling", "Desert Spider", "Forest Spiderling", "Spider", "Twilight Spider", and "Widow Spiderling" come in the same B/B breed as the Jumping Spider, with the same move-set. I have a B/B spider, so I don't need to acquire a different breed of the Jumping Spider; unless I just want to have two of the same breed.)

And on pets like Swamp Croaker, that extra 3 speed doesn't make a difference; and the extra 3 power doesn't seem to be enough to matter. I have one of each breed, but I often go to the breed with 65 extra health.

At least you didn't list an S/S Gilnean or other IMPOSSIBLE to get pets. I'm convinced that people who make tutorials for other people and say things like "Use a Vamperic Batling... But any bat will do" are just SHOWING OFF THEIR PRIZE. They can't be serious! For one, they aren't even in the same family, smh.

. . .Although I'm not going to get Animus until I see a steal on the AH, or I can make a trade for something as rare. I saw one going for 4k a couple months ago, and I hesitated in buying it, and have kicked myself ever since, lol.
Last edited by Abashera on January 10th, 2014, 2:08 am, edited 11 times in total.

Abashera

Post by Abashera » January 9th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I just wanted to add, seeing the purpose of your C.T. pets list is so that other people can see what pets [they] need to get to follow your strategies, it may be helpful to link each pet to Warcraftpets.com's pet pages.

When you look up a pet here it shows what breed you already have (provided you imported your pets list, which most members have).

Because you have the pets linked to Wowhead, I have to look each one up separately on warcraftpets to see if I have the breed you recommend, which takes more time. As I think you made the list to make it easy for people, it would be one-click if you linked to [this] site's page for the pets. :D

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » January 9th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Abashera wrote:Nice guid. And I saved the url to your blog.

The only pet I question in your list is the rabbit. Elfin Rabbit?

Elfin Rabbit (B/B)
Health - 1315
Power - 200
Speed - 286

Grasslands Cottontail (S/S)
Health - 1400
Power - 260
Speed - 325
I'm not going to disagree with you about the Grassland's being superior in power, and since Cindy is faster than any S/S rabbit, power and health are the only things to consider. But it might help your comparison if you looked at a level 25 B/B Elfin:

Health - 1481
Power - 227
Speed - 325

Is the extra 81 health an advantage over the Cottontail's 33 power? imo, no. So I agree with you. But you can't look at a level 22 rabbit and compare it to a 25.

Abashera

Post by Abashera » January 10th, 2014, 2:17 am

Thanks Tuatha.

I got that comparison off this site, comparing [my] B/B Elfin, which is lvl 22. Oops! :oops:

I fixed the comparison, and deleted the stat differences. The Elfin has 81 more health, and the Grasslands has 33 more power, as you already know. But as you also surely know that 33 extra power hits hard. I can always feel the difference whenever I have to resort to a 357 speed rabbit.

If I were to chose something with a little more health, I think I may take a H/S Rabbit. It has the same power as the Elfin. . . if you can get away with the slight speed reduction; but with 1546 health. The Elfin Rabbit may be the best choice in the 325 speed class; but I would try a Cottontail first and see how it goes with the extra hit power. :D

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 10th, 2014, 10:07 am

One reason (whether it is good enough of a reason or not is debatable) to choose the Elfin Rabbit for a guide is that it only has two breeds, which are very close in power and both decent speed, so if someone has an elfin rabbit, they can level it to rare 25 and know it will work with the strategy. The Grasslands Cottontail comes in a variety of breeds, so farming a rare of the [S/S] takes a lot longer than a rare Elfin Rabbit would.

I think it is more of an accessibility thing rather than min/max thing. For a guide on completing the tournament, I think that is a solid decision. Makes your results more predicable for users of all skillsets, pet collections, etc. and it still gets the enemy killed just the same. If it were a speed guide (like the 5.4 tamers guide we have), then, the min/max rabbit definitely could be more appropriate.

Elfuego

Post by Elfuego » January 19th, 2014, 12:56 am

Primarily I chose the Elfin Rabbit because of the ease of getting it. And the BB breed for the higher life total. The other breeds were dying to fast with all the DOT damage. - I originally said AOE, sorry about that.
Last edited by Elfuego on January 19th, 2014, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » January 19th, 2014, 1:49 am

Elfuego wrote:Primarily I chose the Elfin Rabbit because of the ease of getting it. And the BB breed for the higher life total. The other breeds were dying to fast with all the AOE damage.
So maybe that extra 81 health does make a difference. Good to know. 33 power vs one more attack could be a deciding factor. That and ease of acquisition. Thanks for chiming in on your reasoning, Elfuego.

Btw, great guides/website. I don't think I've taken the time to give you due props. There it is.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 21st, 2014, 11:27 am

Thanks for posting this walkthrough!
Mingyao on Madoran

Joargarrosh
Pet Score:2187
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Joargarrosh » January 21st, 2014, 6:57 pm

Elfuego -

Another quick question for you. I noticed there are some differences between the pets that your recommending on your site and the pets that you recommend in the OP on this thread. Was just curious which set you consider to be the current best approach.
Thanks so much for putting this together and sharing. Has been really helpful as I begin to assemble my tournament army.

Joar

Elfuego

Post by Elfuego » January 21st, 2014, 9:23 pm

Joar, the website has a complete listing of all pet teams that I've created, it continues to expand with new teams and strategies each week. This guide I wrote was mainly for people to get a quick overview of what the tourney is and what they can expect. The teams here are some of the most reliable ones to beat the tourney each week. I am focusing more on " Every Man" teams, as people seem to want strategies that don't involve HELLA expensive pets. But to be quite honest, there are some pets that are just too good to be ignored because they were " Too much gold", or " Take forever to farm." So I am exploring as many options as I can, to give the most reliable teams with a general ease of access to the pets for those teams. I update this forum as often as I can when I find a team more stable then previous, however, I do try to keep my teams original without the cookie cutter feel of " pet X is a beast, so I better go get my mechanical." Although its a little difficult because the pet pool is so small right now. As wow pet's expand in the future, I hope to see more varied abilities, a fourth ability a lot would be excellent, maybe a fourth in epic qualities? I think pets have potential to be even more amazing, although there quite excellent now.

Elfuego,
GET OWNED!

Scrump
Pet Score:2085
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Scrump » January 23rd, 2014, 10:50 am

Anasa wrote:Yep, just spend tens of thousands of gold on rare pets and at least $10 of real money and you too can win the Celestial Tournament!

Your guides are certainly comprehensive, but some of your strategies are out of reach of a lot of pet battlers.

With the exception of the store pets, anyone can farm every pet he described here. Spending all your gold on pets is for the lazy and pet battles at the celestial tournament level is not an endeavor for the lazy.

I am not going to go through every pet he listed but most of them I got the appropriate breed captured in less than 30 minutes each. Now if you want to farm for blues in correct breeds... that's silly. Just catch the right breed and do the dailies til u get a stone you can use on it.

Also most pets have alternates that are either identical or close enough to do the job.

Lastly "10s of thousands of gold" is a stretch. regardless of rarity and barring only a couple pets I have never seen one on the AH at level 1 for more than 2 - 4k.

My advice: Spend the time. Catch them all. Be the best there ever was. Like nobody has ever seen.

Nagflar
Pet Score:1284
Realm:憤怒使者-tw

Post by Nagflar » January 24th, 2014, 1:29 am

Thanks to this guide . Celestial Tournament is now like piece of cake to me .

btw your don't need a store pets or Super rare raid pets to complete Celestial Tournament.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » January 24th, 2014, 2:57 am

Have a few more pets to catch/level. Can't wait to finally get a Celestial Pet! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Elfuego

Post by Elfuego » January 29th, 2014, 11:56 pm

How far have you gotten yet Melmo? What pet is going to be your first?!

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » February 1st, 2014, 6:11 pm

ZOMG!! I was getting owned on the tiger. I went through a dozen pets alone on him before I just gave up. I have hope now I can win this and get me some celestial goodness.
mykro9#1585