Stuns and undead

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us
Stuns and undead

Post by Kendrah » October 14th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I've never really noticed this until two or so weeks ago, but it seems like whenever an undead pet dies in a battle and it's possible for it to be stunned (one of those 25% chance of stuns), my pet will be stunned when it comes back and is thus completely useless. It won't cast the spell/attack it was about to if it was slower than the opponent and since it's stunned for a round, I can't choose a follow up. I use my Unborn against the first pet in the DM pet battle and three out of four attempts, the tonk will kill her with its shock and awe, then when she comes back she's stunned.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug or if I've just had really, really awesome RNG luck up until now.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Re: Stuns and undead

Post by Ligre » October 14th, 2013, 2:22 pm

That stun is just bad RNG...nothing you can do about it, sadly.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » October 14th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Ligre wrote:That stun is just bad RNG...nothing you can do about it, sadly.
Gah! Really? It's been so bad this week, especially against Fesael. I restarted match against Fesael to see if it was a particular spell or something and it didn't seem to matter. It took me three or four tries to get through that daily without my undead getting stunned.

But that figures. RNG hates me (150+ level 25 pets plvl'd through the dailies and [pet]Porcupette[/pet] still hasn't dropped...) The Eye finally dropped and thus, RNG went on a vendetta.

Mwebly
Pet Score:10448
BattleTag®:Webly#1586
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Mwebly » October 14th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I have had a stun used against my undead pet intentionally in pvp battles before. It is a great way to negate their ability to cast that one extra turn, and sometimes that turn can be particularly effective (Ascension or Haunt, I'm looking at you). I have never constructed a team specifically to do this to an opponent but I respect anyone who can pull it off, as it may swing the battle in their favor.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » October 14th, 2013, 11:17 pm

You can also use something like Kick, Dive, Lift-Off or Burrow as well to negate the extra turn.

It's like the old adage - "Smoke if ya got 'em!" :)

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » October 15th, 2013, 2:07 am

Trainer pets seem to have a habit of cheating when it comes to anything proc-related. I've got nothing to back it up, but all their CC procs and low hit chance stuff seems to be proccing a lot more than you'd expect. Could be some undocumented quirk of the higher pet quality, or it's just the usual case of players being whiny about RNG.

Undeadgoat
Pet Score:2089
BattleTag®:undeadgoat#1254
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Undeadgoat » October 15th, 2013, 4:34 pm

We don't really complain when the RNG works out in our favor, so I think there's probably selection bias in the idea that trainer pets beat the RNG . . . This is IMO a nifty trick to keep in your back pocket, I always Headbutt Socks after he dies on the off-chance I can avoid his Ascension entirely.