WASTEWALKER SHU

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us
Re: WASTEWALKER SHU

Post by Sellys » September 17th, 2013, 9:49 am

Tiggindy wrote:
Sellys wrote:Yeah, I don't think the sandstorm change alters anything with the Zandalari Dino/Chrominius group.
Not to be snarky, but did you read the next part of the post which detailed what happens with the Dino?

The Kneebiter will die.
No, I missed that explanation, which is valid. But the part about Sandstorm not protecting backline pets isn't accurate, since sandstorm still lasts plenty long enough to finish off Pounder.

For me, I'd rather do the fight in 11 or 12 rounds with a chance of maybe having to reset (and using a reasonably high level pet, they have to get to 25 one some fight or another) then use a strategy that takes 20+ rounds.

Likebigbuttz
Pet Score:5322
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Likebigbuttz » September 22nd, 2013, 6:26 pm

I am looking for a new strat after repeated problems with the P/P Zand and Chrom setup.

I clean up the crab first up no problem, but have no way to avoid the Whirlpool so it hits either the Zand or the Chromie.

If the Whirlpool hits the Chromi (which I'm pretty sure it should) and he gets stunned by the other move, he is down to less than 400 HP before even getting Howl off, and quite often he is dead before killing the Ele.

All my recent wins have come from the carry pet being able to hold there own and kill Mutilator (so a level 22+ pretty much).

Whatever the reason, it has dropped the reliability down to a level I don't enjoy so a different and so a new strat is on my radar. The Red Cricket + Mech looks to be a good place to start.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 22nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

Kpb321 wrote:I haven't tried it yet but I doubt the changes will have affected the team I used

P/P Spawn of Ony or Ony welpling + random mech.

Tail sweep until you have to lift of to avoid the crabs whirl pool. If you've got a P/P spawn the lift off will kill him assuming it hits. The Welpling will be close and will sometimes survive by 20 or 30 hps.

Tail Sweep for racial, heal and then sweep. Heal more if needed or use liftoff to avoid the big attack. Should finish the second pet too. Let him die to the third. Swap in carry pet then swap to mech. I use a Custodian or tonk and blow him up but any mech should be able to easily finish him.
This is the team/strategy that I use against Wastewalker Shu. It has yet to fail me. Lift Off to avoid the first Whirlpool, and Lift Off again to avoid the second Rupture. The whelpling can take out both Crusher and Pounder with a tiny bit of health left at the end. I switch in my carry pet as Mutilator steps into the fight, and then I finish the battle off with a Menagerie Custodian. Now that Sandstorm doesn't last as long, it's even more effective against the porcupine.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Yaafm
Pet Score:3669
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Yaafm » September 23rd, 2013, 12:07 am

I fight this guy later on for a new pet cause it usually needs to take a hit. I use Gilneas Rave and spirit crab. My carry pet gets hit at the end as spirit crabs water attack goes off and kills the porcupine

Foolishfool
Pet Score:3313
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Foolishfool » September 23rd, 2013, 9:05 am

This may not be the most readily available strategy to everyone, but I've found that Chi-Chi deals handily with Shu. Evanescence (or whatever that move is called) deals with the Whirlpool and rupture or sandstorm, Tranquility outheals quake. Bring something to finish off mutilator to be sure, but I generally don't feel it is necessary.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 23rd, 2013, 10:16 am

Ran this team quite a few times (cancelling battle right before I won) and found it was pretty solid. There's still a chance of RNG getting you (Crit from sandstorm for example), but out of 10 tries, it only got hairy once.

Team:
Death Adder [S/S or any breed with more than 280 speed] => 2, 1, 2
Carry Pet
Chrominius => 1,1,2

Crab:
R1: Viscious Fang (to build up power)
R2: Blinding Poison (this takes out whirlpool)
R3: Puncture Wound
R4: Viscious Fang
R5: Viscious Fang
R6: Blinding Poison (this takes out whirlpool)
R7: Puncture Wound
R8: Viscious Fang - kills crab here if no misses. Also normally get beast racial triggered here.

Elemental:
Same rotation as above. Viscious Fang until Blinding Poison is ready, BP, PW, VF, VF, BP, PW, VF, etc until death adder dies
Swap in carry pet, swap out for Chrominius
Bite with Chrominius until elemental dies (should take 2 hits since dragon racial will usually kick in after 1st)

Porcupine:
Howl+Bite+Surge

It's definitely not a fast method, but after 9 successes out of 10, I feel it works out really well. I used an S/S adder so a P/S or B/B might do better, but I only have S/S to test with. I tried using the poison instead of Viscious Fang on the adder, but for the S/S breed, it ended up killing more slowly and Viscious Fang does better on the elemental (or will when they fix its racial). A death adder with less than 280 speed will probably work (untested), but you have to start with Blinding Poison on the first round in order to stop whirlpool and you will end up taking more damage from the elemental, so I am not sure how well that will go.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Coilla
Pet Score:3658
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Coilla » September 23rd, 2013, 12:13 pm

To add another post on this combo my carry pet strat for Shu is simply the P/P or Breed 4 Onyxia Whelpling with liftoff + carry pet + insert hard hitting mechanical. I use the darkmoon tonk, but any of the related mechs would work fine.

The key is the lift off. Lift Off, combined with the heal, will allow the dragon to handle both the first two pets handily in almost all cases, even with a miss here or there.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » September 24th, 2013, 6:59 am

Coilla wrote:To add another post on this combo my carry pet strat for Shu is simply the P/P or Breed 4 Onyxia Whelpling with liftoff + carry pet + insert hard hitting mechanical. I use the darkmoon tonk, but any of the related mechs would work fine.

The key is the lift off. Lift Off, combined with the heal, will allow the dragon to handle both the first two pets handily in almost all cases, even with a miss here or there.
That was the original strat in Cabadath's 5.2 pet tamer thread and I used it for a while. I ended up creating the Red Cricket strat because I used to get annoyed at my continual misses with Lift-Off. IIRC it was really annoying if the first lift-off missed and he got a second Whirlpool up cause you couldn't use Lift-off to dodge that one. Dying while Pounder was still going sucked because your Mechanical is at a double disadvantage while trying to finish him off. Red Cricket solved all my RNG problems.

Bretonas
Top Rater
Pet Score:12312
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Bretonas » September 24th, 2013, 7:19 am

The Red Cricket / Yeti tactic works like a charm. I had to use a [pet]Grassland Hopper[/pet] twice because I didn't have the Cricket at lvl 25, but it had a lot less Power (Cricket is almost top of the line with 370) which made a huge difference to my Skitter attacks and the heals from Nature's Touch.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » September 24th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I've been using Red Cricket/Darkmoon Tonk for a while now, since I haven't leveled my yeti. This comp works great for me. It's a little tricky guessing when to cast the Cocoon to avoid Rupture now that it isn't simply "after Sandstorm", but I usually get it, and when I don't, it rarely kills me. On Mutilator, I hit Missile one or two times to be safe and then Ion Cannon.

My issues on Shu are swapping in my carry pet at the wrong time and Mutilator killing it.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » September 24th, 2013, 3:58 pm

You do not have to worry about or time Cocoon for Rupture, really. You use cocoon for the 2nd time when the 2nd Whirlpool has 1 turn left to go. You then use Nature's Touch to heal, then just Skitter until you can Nature's Touch again, heal and finish Skittering Pounder to death. Because Rupture cannot stun you it's not worth the turn of lower damage from Cocoon, better to just kill Pounder faster. (I believe the creator of this strat posted this ^ somewhere in the threads above, it works great - I am overcautious and always use the 2nd heal, though you can skate by without it).

As soon as Pounder dies:
Swap in yout carry pet > swap in your Yeti (or Tonk/Custodian) > Call Lightning (or Shock&Awe) > Ion Cannon

Mutilator always puts up his shield first, so your carry pet will never take any additional damage. So long as it can survive the quake damage from Pounder you will be all set.

Ceathra
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Ceathra » September 24th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I use:
Jade Owl - Slicing Wind until Whirl Pool is going to hit, then Lift off.
I see how long he lasts on the elemental, sometimes if the RNG is being kind he can kill it, otherwise...

Snarly - Rip, then Blood in the Water, then Surge if necessary.
I let Snarly Rip and Surge at the beast, then swap to my carry pet to bring it home.

For a sure win, go with the Enchanted Broom, but just about anything should work.