Cheesy Celestial Tournament trick

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Alfonzzo
Pet Score:5574
BattleTag®:Alfonzzo#1981
Realm:Silver Hand-us
Cheesy Celestial Tournament trick

Post by Alfonzzo » September 3rd, 2013, 7:05 pm

you don't appear to lose pet health when you forfeit, so you can lead w/ Sprite Darter Hatchling, take some hits, then forfeit.

Then when you start the fight next you'll be at low health and you can lead w/ Life Exchange.

Wonder if that will last...

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Re: Cheesy Celestial Tournament trick

Post by Azrile » September 3rd, 2013, 7:14 pm

I´ve seen this mentioned somewhere else. So it probably won´t last. and certainly posting it here will get it noticed.

Alfonzzo
Pet Score:5574
BattleTag®:Alfonzzo#1981
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Alfonzzo » September 3rd, 2013, 9:08 pm

i kinda hope it doesn't last. i don't really want to have to do that to win.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 3rd, 2013, 10:21 pm

I'm not sure how they could prevent that. Even if they add hps loss to a forfeit you could go in with the sprite darter hatchling or some other pet with life exchange and 2 random other pets you don't care about. Or you could have the sprite darter hatchling already low health.

Only thing I could think of would be to automatically heal all pets to full at the start and making forfeiting kill all the pets completely but that seems pretty harsh.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 4th, 2013, 7:47 am

I don't see why they would bother fixing it, as it seems completely useless. You don't achieve anything you couldn't do by passing a few times and then using Life Exchange.

Beesknees
Pet Score:6328
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Beesknees » September 4th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Azrile wrote:I´ve seen this mentioned somewhere else. So it probably won´t last. and certainly posting it here will get it noticed.
Oh, look! Points over there------------------------------------------->*squirrel

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » September 4th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Alfonzzo wrote:you don't appear to lose pet health when you forfeit
:lol:
You dont need it for any tournament battle. When I did Tournament this week on ptr, I lost:
- 1 pet in battle against Kirym;
- 1 pet in battle against Wise Mary;
- 2 pets in battle against Bringtron 4000;
- 1 pet in battle against Zao;
- 1 pet in battle against Yu'la;
- 1 pet in battle against Chi-Chi;
- 2 pets in battle against Xu'en.
All fights took like 15 mins, with no chance to lose.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » September 4th, 2013, 3:16 pm

What teams did you use?

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 6th, 2013, 10:28 am

Ditto ~ this forum should help pet battlers..papazol..i've read your tournament posts and still dont know the top 15 or more to have ready to go in 5.4

I'd love to know what 20-30 to take - hard counter pets make sense but what else?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » September 6th, 2013, 5:26 pm

To be fair, the PTR gives you a small and random assortment of pets, so often you won't have the particular pet you want to test. So I wouldn't expect anyone to have the perfect list of 27 pets to use until after it's live. Also, the non-Celestial tamers (the first 3) rotate among 3 possibilities, so 12 of your perfect 27 will also vary week to week.

For the Celestials, it's pretty clear that mech damage and avoidance will be valuable for the two beasts; Darkmoon Zeppelin is an absolute allstar and he's also good for a couple of the non-Celestial tamers (and lil Oondasta too). Peddlefeet/Gregarious Grell look to be very good for Yu'lon; some combination of Lil Tarecgosa/Nexus Whelpling/Azure Whelpling/Mini Mindslayer looks very good for Chi'ji. As it is on PTR currently, Water Spirit+Chrominius still works to KO almost any random legendary pet. But it doesn't look like these will be the only way to win by any means -- ie you won't really need the absolute top 15 pets, there's lots of pets that will get the job done.

Similarly for the non-Celestial tamers, there's a handful of pets that look really promising (but not required): flyers with UD attacks for the Monk tamer (and pretty good against Nairn too); there's a few Mechs with multi-hit attacks, so a pet with a shield and elemental attacks would be valuable (shale hatchlings, living sandling); Qiraji Guardling is going to be a superstar against the one Cleansing Rain/Dreadful Breath pet; Legs is likely going to be amazing against the elemental that does all aquatic damage; etc.