Is there any point in keeping Polished Battle Stones?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vialupin
Pet Score:5299
Realm:Misha-us
Is there any point in keeping Polished Battle Stones?

Post by Vialupin » September 1st, 2013, 4:43 pm

Is there any point in keeping Polished Battle Stones? - I have a number of them in my bag and nothing to do with them :?

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Re: Is there any point in keeping Polished Battle Stones?

Post by Shikon01 » September 1st, 2013, 7:26 pm

In my opion definitely YES!! There are some hard to find pets in high ganking territory that if you are lucky your best bet is grab and go. For instance I got lucky and found a val'irk after 3 days and it was poor, I got mine in borean tundra not as much traffic as in other areas and farmed it during morning hours. I just have that one, but I had a polish stone to upgrade it temporary. Then there's the pet in felwood. I can't think of name, but found it 3 times and haven't survived yet to get it. Its heavily farmed and early morning or middle of night is your best bet...also you can kill adds to try and get it to spawn. I know they spawn following weekly maint and patch, but groups are heavily camped there..at least on my server. I'm sure others have examples they could give. Sure I prefer blue stones...when they drop, but as you build your stable up they can come in handy particularly when just starting off collecting.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 1st, 2013, 11:01 pm

If you're going for all rares or rares only, there's really no point right now in keeping the uncommon quality stones. If you just don't want to stare at poor or common quality pets in your stable (or find it difficult leveling said pets), then you could use the stones for that, just keep in mind stoning will knock a level or two off the pet.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 2nd, 2013, 4:16 am

The only real use is if you find a breed of a particular pet you want but don´t have the blue stone for that pet yet. Using the polished battle stone will allow you to level it up while you wait for the real stone.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 2nd, 2013, 6:51 am

Not really. They can let you upgrade a captured pet be okay-ish if you urgently need it for whatever, but it would be better to just save a couple of flawless stones for such occasions. If you actually have the foresight to save up stones, you'll never need polished ones.

Note that they only vendor for one copper, so you might as well use them on upgrading captured pets you'll never care about to make your pet collection look a tiny bit better. If (like everyone) you've gone for Zookeeper, you have a few dozen rats and beetles that you'll never use in battle.

Pinrut
Pet Score:13856
Realm:Nagrand-us

Post by Pinrut » September 3rd, 2013, 6:04 am

I got my first polished stone today, and it actually made me angry :( I can't think of any use for it, other than using it on a pet that you can possibly get as common (like the lucky cricket or sapphire cub) to make it more saleable.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 3rd, 2013, 11:18 am

I've been getting these from pet battles and I've been using them to upgrade my wild caught poor quality pets to increase my score here =). Almost done with poor quality so I'll start upgrading commons soon. Maybe someday they'll add a trade up for them to make em useful but for now I'll use them for what little purpose they have and then start stock piling them.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » September 3rd, 2013, 11:30 am

As far as I am concerned, there is no point to upgrading just to uncommon. You are going to have to use a flawless stone on the pet to be able to really use it anyway... and those work on poor quality just as well as uncommon.

Plus, if you do enough pet battle dailies, you will eventually have a surplus of flawless stones too... and in the upcoming patch, we will be able to trade family specific flawless stones in for general use ones (*glares at the stacks of flawless dragonkin, humanoid and undead stones sitting in my inventory*).

Katzbalger
Pet Score:3554
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Katzbalger » September 3rd, 2013, 11:56 am

Maizing wrote:As far as I am concerned, there is no point to upgrading just to uncommon. You are going to have to use a flawless stone on the pet to be able to really use it anyway... and those work on poor quality just as well as uncommon.
Generally correct with just 1 exception imo, for fresh pet battlers to get themselves a quick uncommon Emerald Proto-whelp for the beginners tamer guide. So, 1 is useful ever :P
There's been numerous threads asking Blizz to do something with them, whether change them, let us exchange large numbers of them for blue stones or a pet or be able to fire them from a catapult at people. Well ok I made the last one up but I like the idea. No sign that they're considering it yet, nothing in 5.4 regarding them so far that I've seen so yeah, dump em. Not even worth walking over to a vendor at 1c each.