My Team

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Xigwa
Realm:Durotan-us
My Team

Post by Xigwa » August 24th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Hi, guys, I'm new to the whole really in depth pet battle scene.

I have gotten several pets to 25, but insofar I have won 4 out of many pet battles. I don;t know what's wrong. I could use a lot of advice on my team so far my line up is:

Spirit of Competition, (my favorite)
Clockwork Gnome
Silithid Hatching.

I could use a lot of critic and am not afraid of people pointing out what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Re: My Team

Post by Papazol » August 24th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Your team just 1 weather effect Sandstorm complitly dont stack with Clockwork Gnome. Spirit of Competition is solid pet, what hasn't any good or bad bonuses from another pets in team. If you will grab any 3 random pets (even not rare), that team will not be worse.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » August 24th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I'm a pretty average pet PVPer but the most obvious problem I see with your team is lack of synergy - that is, none of your pets can help boost the abilities of others on the team. With the Silithid and Clockwork Gnome, if you're using both Sandstorm and Turret (2 popular abilities) you're actually working against yourself.

Given your current set up maybe you can go for a lightning team. Switch the Silithid for a pet with Call Lightning, which will cause your turrets to do extra damage each round plus boost your mechanical pet damage. Or if the Spirit of Competition is your favorite, maybe take advantage of the Flamethrower ability by adding pets with Conflagrate.

Xigwa

Post by Xigwa » August 24th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Thanks guys, I am really kind of new to this and I just picked pets I liked. I would really like to keep my Spirit of competition, but given the advice I think the Clockwork Gnome needs to go.

Should I base my team around fire since the main ability I use with SoC is his flame?

My other 25s are
Snow tiger I thin it's called.
Snake (just a regular snake)
Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling.

Should I be focusing on some elemental or magical pets to give my fire an extra boost? I have an Corefire imp, but I haven't leveled him yet. Would he be any good for a fire team?

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » August 24th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Basing your team around Spirit of Competition and Flamethrower, I would definitely recommend picking up some new pets. One would be Fel Flame (or something similar that has Conflagrate) - the nice thing with that particular pet is it's fairly high level so it won't take long to level it up. Corefire Imp might be okay as well depending on what abilities you choose, though Fiendish Imp would be better. Similar abilities but it also has Nether Gate if you want to force swap your opponent's pets, which is always annoying. ;)

You might just have to try mixing and matching a few pets to see what works for you. Don't get discouraged if it seems hard at first (I had something like a 95% loss rate at the start haha) because everyone has to start from somewhere. Watch what your opponents do to pick up tips and tricks to improve your team.

Xigwa

Post by Xigwa » August 25th, 2013, 6:56 pm

My team set up now is

Fel Flame
Corefire Imp
Spirit of Competition.

While I still haven't won a match yet, they are already doing MUCH better together. At least I am giving people a run for their money! :lol:

That being said, I did do a little testing and found I did like my Clockwork Gnome in place of the Imp in some cases. The rocket he does is a nice little damage doer. I might have to see where that leads.

I just have one more question (for now) is it wise to open up with "Scorched Earth" from my Fel Flame?

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » August 25th, 2013, 7:11 pm

If you prefer your Gnome over the Imp, there's no reason you shouldn't try using it for a while and seeing if that fits your play style better. Synergy doesn't require that all the pets have overlapping or complimentary abilities, and there's some teams that are pretty good even without a lot of obvious synergy.

Opening with a weather attack depends on the situation. I run a Blind team - I usually open with Call Darkness, but not always. Let's say my opponent has an Anubisath Idol and selects it to go first. I know if I cast Call Darkness first, in that same round there is a very high chance they will counter with Sandstorm. So maybe I'll use a different attack first to try and get my opponent to burn their Sandstorm, then overwrite it on the next turn with Call Darkness. That's the thing with pvp matches - you never know what your opponent will do!