Why no names, and why change models?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Snowyjoe
Pet Score:2540
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Why no names, and why change models?

Post by Snowyjoe » October 4th, 2012, 4:17 am

I understand Petbattles are supposed to be "fun" and not "competitive" but I don't understand the reason behind hiding the names and models of your enemies.

Is this a technical limitation or is Blizzard doing this on purpose?

It's also pretty easy to find out if your battling the same person since they mostly have the exact same load out and pets with the exact same name. Which makes it pointless if Blizzard are trying to go with the illusion of you battling thousands upon thousands of different players.

It might just be me... but I just can't get over the fact that the warlock in tier 2 gear is not really my opponent.

Perbrethil
MVP
Pet Score:4148
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Re: Why no names, and why change models?

Post by Perbrethil » October 4th, 2012, 5:36 am

I had to read it twice before i understand what you mean, but i get it. It bothers me too and it's a shame you don't really know your enemy like this. Besides that fact i think it's a shame you can't battle people you want to, and only wich the battle finder.

For a new funcionality thats rolled out for the first time like this i think it works pretty good, could recieve some updates that's true, but nonetheless i love it ^^

Snowyjoe

Post by Snowyjoe » October 4th, 2012, 8:27 am

I'm sorry I probably should of clarified. Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

In the current situation of random PvP Pet Battles, the enemy models are all randomly generated.

So even if you are battling the exact same person in a random PvP battle in one match you may see them as a Dwarf Hunter wearing tier 3 armor. The next match, even though they are the exact same person to you they may look like a Blood Elf Warlock in tier 5 for example. The same happens to the opponent. You may be playing a female Draenei warrior, but to them you will only look like the pre-determined models Blizzard have already selected before hand.

The models I have came across so far:

Blood Elf Warlock, Tier 5 Gear
Dwarf Female, Hunter (some kind of dungeon gear)
Night Elf Priest, Tier 3 Gear
Pandaren Male, starting gear
Pandaren Female, starting gear
Male Worgen Warrior, (forgot what type of gear)

there might be a few more, but for me my enemy models have just been cycling through this list over and over again... and it just.... kind of kills the immersion of the game for me.

Perbrethil
MVP
Pet Score:4148
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Post by Perbrethil » October 4th, 2012, 8:39 am

yeah that was thesame thing i was talking about (also saw a t2 gnome mage btw), i don't see the problem either, what extra trouble is it to just give the normal char?

Taleranor
Pet Score:11827
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Taleranor » October 4th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I'm secretly glad that we don't know who we're facing in random PvP pet battles. It cuts down on the temptation to harass, abuse, or annoy your opponent if you have a grievance. There are times when I'd love to slap someone for a particularly gimmicky or unbalanced or unfair team. I'm sure we've all experienced that. This keeps things at a remove, for better or worse.

I would love an option to /petduel people in person though, so we could practice particular pet combos against steady opponents, or challenge our friends. It's sometimes hard to get a balance down just right when you never know if you'll be up against the guy with three worg pups, or the one with a clockwork gnome, l'il onyxia, and the ghostly skull.

Myrikenes
Pet Score:4100
Realm:Sen'jin-eu

Post by Myrikenes » October 4th, 2012, 5:49 pm

@Teleranor:
If you know them, why not meet and petduel them then?
I think that would be the easiest way.

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » October 4th, 2012, 6:05 pm

I was about to post...

You can /petduel people. I don't think there is a button for it on the interface anywhere. But if you target someone and right click their nameplate, the menu that pops down has a pet duel option. You do have to be in range of them to start it up.

Taleranor
Pet Score:11827
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Taleranor » October 5th, 2012, 12:21 am

Vhale wrote:I was about to post...

You can /petduel people. I don't think there is a button for it on the interface anywhere. But if you target someone and right click their nameplate, the menu that pops down has a pet duel option. You do have to be in range of them to start it up.
I did not know that. Thanks! I can think of a few guild members who need put in their place... :)

Snowyjoe

Post by Snowyjoe » October 7th, 2012, 11:04 am

I understand some people might be scared that someone will take revenge on them... but I find the chances really, really unlikely.

If the PvP pet battles are anything like the dungeon matching, your opponents are most likely going to be from other servers.
Even if it turns out you both are on the same server.... without knowing each others names and only knowing how they look like... it's going to be pretty hard finding that one exact person.

Or at least have an option for it. If I don't mind exposing my characters identity to the opponent I should be able to show my opponents my shiny, beautiful armor.