Battle-stones

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us
Re: Battle-stones

Post by Breehit » July 31st, 2013, 6:07 pm

Because of pet battles, I have collected over 1000 lesser charms (on two toons, so around 2000 total), and with a turn-in of 10/week for the greater charms, they just keep accumulating. Is there anything that can be done with these beyond the 10/week turn-in at the Shrine at the Vale?

BTW, my tamer dailies usually net 2 stones a day..and aquatic seems most likely.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » July 31st, 2013, 6:45 pm

Breehit wrote:Because of pet battles, I have collected over 1000 lesser charms (on two toons, so around 2000 total), and with a turn-in of 10/week for the greater charms, they just keep accumulating. Is there anything that can be done with these beyond the 10/week turn-in at the Shrine at the Vale?
Don't I wish. I have over 3000 on my main character and nearly 2000 on a second. I realize that for some people they aren't as easy to come by, but after they dropped the number you needed for the weekly quest and added them to pet battles I've picked up more than I could use in a year. I'd love it if they implemented some way to shed the excess, even if it was just for a little extra gold. It would have to be something small and nonexclusive, or people would be in an uproar saying "OMG, NOW I HAVE TO FARM MORE CHARMS!!"
Breehit wrote:BTW, my tamer dailies usually net 2 stones a day..and aquatic seems most likely.
Two or three seems to be about normal for most people, outside of some who are either more lucky or less. As to the type of stone, I don't think any particular type is more common than any other overall. You might have seen more aquatic, but for me it was one of the last types that I finished getting all in rare, along with beasts and flyers. Personally, I have humanoid stones coming out of my ears, with about 25 sitting in the bank on one of my alts, even after giving about a dozen away to friends and guildies. Undead and dragonkin stones were also pretty common for me, with 20 or so of each extra, while everything else is only sitting at between 5 and 10.

I plan on sitting on all these stones currently, figuring the next expansion will have a bunch of new wild pets that I'll be able to use them on. It's kind of sad that they haven't actually come out with more wild pets to capture as the expansion went on. Patch 5.1 had quite a few new wild pets, although I know they did that to try to fill out a few families that showed to be lacking during 5.0. 5.2 had a few show up on the Isle of Thunder, but no pet battles at all on the Isle of Giants. 5.3 didn't add any new zones, so I can understand it not having any new wild pets other than the Unborn Val'kyr, which was a nice bonus. 5.4 is adding the Timeless Isle, along with over 30 new pets. Pets from professions, pets that drop from rares, pets that drop from raids, and pets purchased by doing a special pet battle scenario. Yet I haven't heard much about new wild pets to battle, other than the possibility of another moth or two.

Rakrath
Pet Score:8562
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rakrath » August 1st, 2013, 10:40 am

Hi@ll,
I'd love it if they implemented some way to shed the excess, even if it was just for a little extra gold. It would have to be something small and nonexclusive, or people would be in an uproar saying "OMG, NOW I HAVE TO FARM MORE CHARMS!!"
keep them for next expansion, i think the new expansion will have new zones and new wild pets, i think lvl 25-30, so u can use them then.

Ps: its just speculation, but now there is no limitation regarding stones (maybe, but i doubt it, blizz will add limitations to current stones and add a new "tier" of stones affecting only new expansion pets, but we will see)

Ps2: once a day u will realize that wild, critter and flyer type stones are rhe most u need, so never use ur boe stones on anorher pet types ;)

Rakrath

Pinrut
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Nagrand-us

Post by Pinrut » August 3rd, 2013, 6:27 am

Wild battle drop rate update!

Numbers now sit at the following:

130 fights to my first stone (Beast)
33 fights to my second stone (Flying)
120 fights to my third stone (Flawless, off a beast mob)
107 fights to my fourth stone (Beast)

All challenged pets were level 22+ (generally farming the beasts in Uldum and Dragonbone Hatchlings for flyers_

Fergi876
Pet Score:4131
Realm:Ghostlands-us

Post by Fergi876 » August 7th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Wow I was just going to post to ask the same question about the battle stones, I have received 5 stones, ever. And I do the dailies and wild fights to level pets. I was beginning to wonder if there was a strategy I was missing, apparently I am just really really unlucky. LOL

Pinrut

Post by Pinrut » August 8th, 2013, 7:37 am

130 fights to my first stone (Beast)
33 fights to my second stone (Flying)
120 fights to my third stone (Flawless, off a beast mob)
107 fights to my fourth stone (Beast)
67 fights to my fifth stone (Beast)

Currently at 201 (!) battles without seeing another stone.

All challenged pets were level 22+ (generally farming the beasts in Uldum or Krasarang and Dragonbone Hatchlings for flyers)

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » August 8th, 2013, 11:05 am

Now to show you the droprate from someone without the luck that most people in this game have (and this luck applies to ALL my WoW experience. lol)

563 fights to my first stone (Beast)
1743 fights to my second stone (Aquatic)

The second one was yesterday, currently at 15 and going to get the third stone. At my rate, I should see it sometime in November or December. lol

Pinrut

Post by Pinrut » August 9th, 2013, 6:40 am

Worgenbait, what level wild pets are you fighting? Also, are you including trainer etc. fights in those numbers?

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » August 9th, 2013, 11:05 am

No, that's just wild fights. While my trainer drop rate is at least half what others seems to be, it's not as bad. Longest stretch between stones doing all the Pandaria pet battlers was 5 days.

As for wild fights, even when I battle low level, I always bring in pets to be leveled as well (though that's getting harder with some areas).

Believe me, it's my standard luck in the game. I've never worried too much.

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » August 10th, 2013, 12:21 pm

I feel your pain Worgenbait, it seems to be that some accounts are just luckier than others. I too have a difficulty getting stones from the trainers.

Cluey
Pet Score:11369
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Cluey » August 10th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Fergi876 wrote:Wow I was just going to post to ask the same question about the battle stones, I have received 5 stones, ever. And I do the dailies and wild fights to level pets. I was beginning to wonder if there was a strategy I was missing, apparently I am just really really unlucky. LOL
Maybe unlucky but you haven't really done that many in the grand scheme of things.
I got the 5k battle OCD at the start of June, you've only got 14xx so keep at it and the stones will turn up.

Like many others with that OCD for all rare and level 25 pets I've been consistently doing the tamer battles almost every day for months, 1-3 stones from all of them including BoF bags. I do them all on my main character.
I'm up to 28 Undead stones now, there just aren't enough targets for them. I've got 20 of two other types too, I think Mechanical and Dragonkin. Aquatic was 18 from memory, 15 of something else.....lots. I've even got spare critter stones now!
But beasts stones have either been elusive or there are way too many of them to upgrade.
I've had many humanoid ones, so many I upgraded two Argent squires! Not that it shows up. :-(

I hardly do any wild pet battles, only after I've got batch of pets to 24 and don't want to 'waste' tamer XP finishing them off. I carry pets on all the tamers, I keep meaning to write out my strats but get distracted by something else and it hasn't happened yet.

Keavy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3862
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Keavy » August 12th, 2013, 6:07 am

Here's a list of the stones I've recieved from doing all Trainers and BoF during 21 days:

Flying: 8 stones. Dragonkin: 7 stones. Elemental: 11 stones. Aquatic: 8 stones.
Critter: 4 stones. Undead: 4 stones. Beast: 4 stones.
Mechanical: 7 stones. Magic: 3 stones. Humanoid: 5 stones.

That's 61 stones in total.

Cluey
Pet Score:11369
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Cluey » August 14th, 2013, 12:47 am

A couple of days ago I only got one, yesterday I got two but today I got seven! Of course none of them were of immediate use to me. ;-)
I'm pretty sure that's a crazy outlier though, Keavy kept better track and averaged about three a day which I think is normal. The trouble for a lot of people is finding the time to do all of the tamers and BoF each day.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » August 15th, 2013, 2:53 am

For the last 5 days, I have received one stone per day, doing all of the trainer battles. This may be bad rng, but with a sample of 5 days, it seems valid for me.

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » August 22nd, 2013, 11:28 pm

Another day of all the dailies (and opening the bags at the same time on the same toon) and no stones. It's really upsetting. It just makes it feel like a waste of time, and yet tmr I'll be doing it again.

I did get 2 stones yesterday for doing all of them but none the day before doing 12.