How does Haunt work

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us
How does Haunt work

Post by Iamwhatis » July 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm

So I get that you enter your opponent’s body and do 148 or 156 damage every round for 4? rounds. And then if the opponent does not die (right?) the Val'kyr comes back to life. I faced a Val'kyr and swapped him out. My opponent put him back in. My claw was up and I got a free hit I think it was Agony. Next round with my claw I cast doom on the Val'kyr in the same round he cast Haunt. Did Agony effect the Val'kyr while he was inside my guy? When the Val'kyr came back to life the icon said there were 4 rounds left in doom. But I believe the Val'kyr died the next round. If I had cast doom and the Val'kyr waited a couple rounds before he cast Haunt would Doom trigger on him while he was inside my guy; and possibly kill the Val'kyr while he was inside my guy even if my guy lived? Also in another thread someone said he used his Val'kyr cast Haunt and then his stitched pup was able to use Consume and as long as the pet the Val'kyr was in did not die the Val'kyr came back to life. Does that work? Can you repeat it and get more than one Consume from one Val'kyr?

Spary
Pet Score:10075
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Re: How does Haunt work

Post by Spary » July 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Haunt works as if the Pet was dead while Haunt is active, all debuffs and buffs are still there (hidden) and start to count down again when she is alive again, so CoD is very, very ineffective against Haunt.
Haunt is also very ineffective if Your enemy forces you to damage the haunted pet - you may kill your valkyr indirectly. Haunt shines on undead pets it seems, because you may not be able to kill it as fast as Haunt is ticking, even so, the last round before the undead special is still counted towards a "living" pet and so the valkyr comes back - even if the last haunt didn't tick for full damage.

Never tested Consume though.

The real problem with haunt is: if Your enemy expects you to use haunt (I mostly do ;) - you can destroy his valkyr simply by avoiding Haunt - she then simply dies - even without the undead racial. This can also happen if your enemy is really unlucky and misses with haunt, thats something I learned firsthand when experimenting with the valkyr ;)

Overall I think the valkyr isn't really worth a slot at recent pvp, but thats just my opinion.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » July 7th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I love the Val'kyr in PvP. I use it almost every fight and it's and integral part of my team (and my wife's). It is fantastic if played correctly. I win at least 80% of my battles. That said, I don't use haunt. Unholy ascension is the way to go in my opinion. Plus they make quick work of all the idols, imps, klr, and flayers that I see.

Spary
Pet Score:10075
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Post by Spary » July 8th, 2013, 9:23 am

She is great against all the Humans - but then again: I wonder who ever switches in a Human against an Undead ;)

Eekmeister
Pet Score:2873
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Eekmeister » July 8th, 2013, 10:37 am

Mine is the B/B breed, thus squishy, so I won't even bother with Haunt since she's so easy to kill. So Unholy Ascension all the way. Makes more sense.

Shandu
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Shandu » July 10th, 2013, 2:02 am

http://www.wowhead.com/petability=652/haunt#comments

My comment about Haunt is the top rated one on wowhead (Oronare) and there are a few things about Haunt;

1. If the pet dies whilst you are Haunting them, your pet will also die

2. Whilst "dead" your pet does count as a corpse for the purposes of consume corpse, you aren't consumed either, eventually you will pop back out alive and well.

3. If Haunt is dodged, blocked or deflected in any way, your pet just dies.

Everyone I've ever seen in PVP with this pet takes Unholy ascension, for obvious reasons, if you pair Haunt with Curse of Doom you risk killing your pet when CoD explodes. I've never liked the pet to be honest, the model is fantastic and fun, but the pet for pvp is pretty bad, if you are going to take an Undead Curse pet, take the Crawling Claw or something, it has a lot more utility.

if you're winning 80% of your pvp battles using the Val, then you must be playing some pretty terrible people, any team with a s/s rabbit on it just annihilates it, even some Humanoids like the idol and Flayer can kill it off (although usually dying in the process because of the Undead rez. Deflect the doom explosion, kick, sandstorm to reduce damage etc)

So that is how haunt works =) I'd choose another Undead if I were you. Bone spider, Claw, Skull, Blighthawk or something like that. =)

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » July 10th, 2013, 6:28 am

To say that I must be facing horrible people constantly because I use the unborn Val'kyr and have a high win rating is rediculous. I use a modified team that I found on here. Yes I face plenty of teams that people have no clue, but I face plenty that do know how to play their team and I've seen some teams that have been promoted by some veteran members of this board. Just because you don't like a pet doesn't mean it's a bad pet. Everything has a counter, but you need to learn to counter the counter. Anticipation is half the battle. I have my bad days like everyone else, but it is usually due to RNG. And yes, S/Srabbit can ruin your day, so luckily I see direhorns 100 to 1 over them. Remember an S/S rabbit can ruin a lot of people's days (which is why I have him on another team) ;)

Anyways this is off topic, since we are talking about haunt. The wowhead post has some good info.