100% hit chance

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shroomfive
Pet Score:2675
Realm:Fizzcrank-us
100% hit chance

Post by Shroomfive » June 28th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Apparently that doesn't mean what i interpret it to mean (100/ 100 times this ability will hit). Why is that?

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Re: 100% hit chance

Post by Tiggindy » June 29th, 2013, 1:09 pm

It's adjusted by level difference, so if it's an attack from a pet that is lower level than the one you're attacking, it's -2% per level difference to the hit chance.

There are also effects that lower accuracy, like darkness and sandstorm or other specific attacks.

On a similar note, the crow and raven are not immune to their own darkness spell, so nocturnal strike (always hits when the opponent is blinded) can apparently miss because the crow/raven is blinded too.

If you are fighting even (or higher) level than your opponent, and there's no weather or other effect on your pet, and you miss a 100% chance attack, open the pet journal tab and take a screenshot. Then post it on the WoW forums, since peeps there do not believe that you could ever miss a 100% chance attack.

Reapersbeast
Top Rater
Pet Score:3171
Realm:Anub'arak-us

Post by Reapersbeast » July 1st, 2013, 10:20 pm

I think Low lvl pets are broken though. It's got to be more then 2% chance to miss per lvl, because I've played with Plenty of lvl 20+ in pet battle dailies to help lvl them and they seem to miss at least 25% to 30% of the time not 2% to 10%.

But honestly I've never liked seeing 100% on anything because Nothing is 100%! Then again Blizzard has this thing about tooltips where they put the LEAST amount of information on them as possible and usually their interpretation is Very vague as well!! Like when one time they space out sentences in the tooltip to mean its a second hit IF something else happens, but then other times it spaces out sentences in the tooltip and it doesn't mean anything, It's like wtf!

Chimonks
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Chimonks » July 5th, 2013, 7:25 am

Oh dear, this discussion again...

@ tiggindy: a raven or a crow is not affected by the reduced chance to hit. That's the easiest way to explain it. Nocturnal strike cannot miss and please do not make anyone think that it can, because there's enough misinformation and crazy ideas floating around since the patch.

@ reapersbeast: soo... I'm guessing you downloaded the addon "pet-accuracy recorder" to actually come up with those interesting and significant numbers and that you're now the process of submitting a bug report?

No? Yea, didn't think so either.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » July 5th, 2013, 10:49 am

Chimonks wrote: @ tiggindy: a raven or a crow is not affected by the reduced chance to hit. That's the easiest way to explain it. Nocturnal strike cannot miss and please do not make anyone think that it can, because there's enough misinformation and crazy ideas floating around since the patch.

The raven and crows ARE affected by the reduced chance to hit on all of their attacks EXCEPT for Nocturnal Strike. Just figured I would clarify it a bit more because the way you said it could easily confuse people.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Chimonks
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Chimonks » July 5th, 2013, 11:20 am

Sure, i appreciate the correction. Posting from my phone so my typing is a little all over the place.

Chuckthulu
Pet Score:4494
BattleTag®:Chuckthulu#1881
Realm:Velen-us

Post by Chuckthulu » July 5th, 2013, 12:56 pm

If you are missing with Nocturnal Strike (w/ darkness up) it is more than likely against an elemental, who are immune to the blind effect of darkness.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » July 6th, 2013, 4:06 am

Nocturnal Strike has 190% hit chance during Darkness against non-Elementals.
Nocturnal Strike has 40% hit chance during Darkness against Elementals.

Nocturnal Strike has 200% hit chance against otherwise Blinded non-Elementals.
Nocturnal Strike has 200% hit chance against otherwise Blinded Elementals.

Nocturnal Strike has 50% hit chance against non-Blinded targets.

Criterias:
Both pets fighting are level 25.
The opponent isn't down/up or got dodge active.
No other hit +/- effects have been applied.
Weather is Darkness when Darkness is supposed to be up.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » July 6th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Chimonks wrote:@ tiggindy: a raven or a crow is not affected by the reduced chance to hit. That's the easiest way to explain it. Nocturnal strike cannot miss and please do not make anyone think that it can, because there's enough misinformation and crazy ideas floating around since the patch.
I've never seen it miss other than vs an elemental.

However, there are numerous peeps on the WoW forums that insist that it can miss (and presumably have witnessed it), and that the reason that it can miss is because of the darkness effect.

OTOH, I have seen immolate miss during a pvp fight. It only happened one time, and there were no accuracy debuffs active. Since I was so surprised that it did miss (and it was the next to the last round since I lost because of the miss) I didn't get a screenshot, so I was accused of being a liar when I brought it up. I never saw a miss happen again in hundreds of fights that followed. Hence my suggestion that peeps take a screenshot should they see a miss that shouldn't happen.

Also, FWIW, I have downloaded the accuracy add on, I stopped using it once all my pets were 25. During that period of time it was throwing lua errors during the nishi fight (when sunlight went away), and was reporting less than 80% hit rate for moves like dive and lift-off, but slightly higher than 90% for emerald bite.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 7th, 2013, 12:44 am

Has anyone determined if pet quality matters? I wonder if people are seeing ´misses´ because maybe epic and legendary pets get counted as being higher than lvl 25.

I also think the level difference equation widens the further apart you get. I don´t think it is a consistent 2% per level. Player hit-rates used to be that way

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » July 7th, 2013, 11:24 am

I use a raven/crow every day in PvP. Nocturnal Strike CAN miss with darkness vs. nonelementals. Just had one miss today vs a Zandalari raptor and yesterday vs a clockwork gnome. It's frustrating when it does. To clearify, the only debuff/buff up at the time both missed. There is a chance to miss. The tooltip is misleading.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 7th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Tahsfenz wrote:I use a raven/crow every day in PvP. Nocturnal Strike CAN miss with darkness vs. nonelementals. Just had one miss today vs a Zandalari raptor and yesterday vs a clockwork gnome. It's frustrating when it does. To clearify, the only debuff/buff up at the time both missed. There is a chance to miss. The tooltip is misleading.
Same here. I run a max level blind pvp team as well and I've seen my crow miss against blinded, nonelemental targets with some degree of regularity, leading me to believe that it's true that the blind is either acting against it, or that it's missing due to some amount of miss or dodge that isn't specified. I don't think it's as simple as the blind being the cause of it, because it isn't missing 10% of the time (which would be the expectation), however it is missing enough to be noticeable over the long run.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » July 7th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I didn't really notice it until this patch, but the tool tip is very misleading saying "always hits". It should revert to 200% hit chance in darkness/ blindness. Mine is not a darkness team, so I can try switching to the other ability, but I'd lose the strength against dragons and the weather changing ability.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » July 8th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Tahsfenz wrote:I didn't really notice it until this patch, but the tool tip is very misleading saying "always hits". It should revert to 200% hit chance in darkness/ blindness. Mine is not a darkness team, so I can try switching to the other ability, but I'd lose the strength against dragons and the weather changing ability.
THANK YOU. I have experienced the same thing, and it's terribly frustrating. I don't run a darkness team, but I really like my raven and the strong humanoid attack is a big draw.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » July 8th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Report bug if it misses under above conditions, so it can be fixed in future patch.