Pet Tamer Quests and Info

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Swanhild
Top Rater
Pet Score:13858
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Re: Pet Tamer Quests and Info

Post by Swanhild » October 16th, 2012, 7:35 am

Quintessence wrote: Northern Barrens
---------------------
Degra the Fierce <Master Pet Tamer>
Location: Main road, just over the bridge from Elwynn Forest.
Quest Requirements: Defeating Zunta (and turning in his quest)
I'm guessing you don't mean Elwynn Forest there ;)

Thanks for a nicely laid out trainer list. I've been recommending it to people :)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 16th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Swanhild wrote:I'm guessing you don't mean Elwynn Forest there ;)

Thanks for a nicely laid out trainer list. I've been recommending it to people :)
Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Puluz
Pet Score:10206
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Puluz » October 27th, 2012, 2:22 pm

anyone else not gotten the kalimdor achi after beating trixxy? Have all the trainers in the achievement on green and still didn't get the actual achievement...

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 28th, 2012, 2:10 am

Puluz wrote:anyone else not gotten the kalimdor achi after beating trixxy? Have all the trainers in the achievement on green and still didn't get the actual achievement...
I have the same problem. >_< Hopefully it will be fixed in patch 5.1.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Psionyx
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Psionyx » October 29th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Try putting in a ticket to see if there's anything a GM can do to help.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » October 30th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Do you have the "Eastern Kingdoms" achievement? As they made it either/or for "Taming Azeroth", it may be that once you have one it won't recognize the other.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » November 6th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Anyone else having troubles defeating Major Payne, master trainer of Northrend?

I love my team, they are all 25 and all rare quality pets, and so far I have not lost a single PVP battle with that team. But no matter how hard I try to beat Major Payne, I fail...

The only way I found to be able to kill his bear, which heals almost to full every 5-6 rounds, was to cast Appocalypse... That would be fine, but then his mechano peep pulls up 1200 damage attacks and rap3s even the best of my tanks/stallers...

I also tried going for pets that would be the perfect families to counter his pets, but no more luck.

Anyone has any advice on how to defeat this Major Payne in the..?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 6th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Trying to tank isn't a good option for this fight, all three of his pets have high dps that will overwhelm just about any tanking pet.

The bear opens with either rampage or bash: if he bashes, just concede and restart the fight before you take any damage.

Things that kill the bear easily: Darkmoon Zeppelin, Grunty, Baby Ape, Darkmoon Tonk. I've tried this fight using a flyer to try to tank the damage and it isn't nearly as effective, because a flyer can't do enough damage and the bear just heals and gets another 3 shots of Rampage on you: you want a high damage mechanical attack to kill it before it finishes the first Hibernate. You should also be able to do the requisite damage with a burst ability like Ghostly Bite/Surge of Power, but this is most likely going to get your first pet killed vs the Mechapeep right after.

Most elementals kill the Mechapeep easily, I use Phoenix Hatchling if I want the easiest time of it. Again you don't want to tank, you want to rush it down, so Lil Ragnaros and Fel Flame are especially good, but there's lots of solid choices here.

The Lasher is probably the easiest as long as you keep pressure on it. It will mostly choose to heal itself as long as it's low on health, which basically eliminates damage on your guy. Most aquatic pets can handle this: I really like the ones with Pump and a heal (Mirror Strider, Purple Puffer, etc.). If you try to tank it though, it will Lash for 500+ per turn in addition to Entangling Roots. This is not impossible with Magical Crawdad or a Snail/Whelk (e.g. Rapana Whelk in Dread Wastes), but I think it's the harder route.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » November 6th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Awesome reply, thanks! :D
I guess I'll have to go back to Shadowmoon to get myself a blue Fel Flame.. I had given up, but he would probably be the edge I need to defeat this guy ;)
Oh and also level a mechanical.. i dont have any high level at the moment, but that'll help too for sure!

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » November 14th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Happy to say I got my Tamer title this week-end!

Thanks to replies provided here, Major Payne was a real joke!
I got lucky on Saturday and woke up in time for a server reset, got myself a rare Fel Flame and raplidly leveled him to 25.

With him against the Mechanopeep, my Flayer Youngling against the bear, and my Magical Crawdad against his elemental, Major Payne went down fast and easy.

With these 3, a Nordrassil Wisp, a Luyu Moth, and the Clockwork Gnome, I had no trouble taking down all of the other tamers (Cataclysm + Pandaria).

Best of luck to those working on this!

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » November 21st, 2012, 11:18 am

Here's a handy macro to make battling a bit faster when going against the tamers:

/script SelectGossipAvailableQuest(1)
/script AcceptQuest()
/script SelectGossipOption(1)
/click StaticPopup1Button1

Basically it will pick the quest from the tamer and start the battle right away. However, there's a caveat: due to the way quest accepting works, the NPC window gets closed after you accept the quest so this button alone won't make things go much faster. BUT if you combine this to the Interact With Target (IWT) button, things will go much smoother:
  • 1) Target & IWT or Right-click on the tamer (to open NPC dialog)
  • 2) Use macro (to accept daily/quest)
  • 3) IWT (to open NPC dialog again)
  • 4) Use macro (to start the fight)
Ideally, you want actions binded to keys next to each other, like F9 and F10 so basically after targeting the NPC you'll only press F9 > F10 > F9 > F10 and voilá! This helps a lot if you want some the tamer to start with certain pet for example. I know this might look complicated but in the end, under it lies a very simple result. :)
- Taking your candles since 2005

Jone
Pet Score:3363

Post by Jone » November 23rd, 2012, 4:57 am

A useful trick for Dor the Wall, Huuna of the Shrine's turtle pet: if you have the Darkmoon Zepplin or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, you can use Decoy on cooldown to prevent your pet from taking any damage. I beat Dor with a pet 4 or 5 levels lower using this; you can combine it with Explode when Dor's at low health for best XP if your mechanical is already leveled.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » November 28th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Could you add the new spirit tamers to the list... I can never find them ; )

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » November 29th, 2012, 2:59 am

Gwenolyn wrote:Could you add the new spirit tamers to the list... I can never find them ; )
Added the locations for them! I'll update with additional information once I'm able to battle them again. *grumble* dailies not resetting *grumblegrumble*

Prissilah
Pet Score:4124
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Prissilah » November 30th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Just to throw in what I am sure is an oversight...Steven Lisbane doesn't walk the ramp to Blackrock Mountain, he is found in Stranglethorn :)

Amber_missy
MVP
Pet Score:3222
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Amber_missy » December 1st, 2012, 10:41 am

deleted
Last edited by Amber_missy on January 1st, 2013, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » December 1st, 2012, 11:58 am

Updated with the Pandaren Spirit Tamers and the info on their pets.

Mercylullaby
Pet Score:6783
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Re: Tamer Quests and Info

Post by Mercylullaby » December 3rd, 2012, 7:34 pm

On the Jade Forest tamer information, you forgot to finish the location. Currently says N of . :D

Puluz
Pet Score:10206
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Puluz » December 12th, 2012, 9:05 am

did I understand it correctly that you're supposed to get a quest from Aki for the spirit tamers? Beat Aki and got my gold satchel and achievements and shiz, popped into an instance and got my safari hat too, and didn't receive any quets from Aki? Am I doing something wrong? D:

edit. Nvm found the quest from the shrine of seven stars, @ Sara Finkleswitch. :)