New universal team for BoF

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: New universal team for BoF

Post by GilroyKilroy » May 30th, 2013, 3:10 pm

I just tried it out and like Quintessence had issues with No-No (used my 3 moth team there) but otherwise it pretty much one-shot the others.

Sci
Top Rater
Pet Score:7805
BattleTag®:Sci#1772
Realm:Warsong-us

Post by Sci » May 30th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I see I was not the first to think to exploit explode's ability to ignore damage reduction. I wasn't going to share this for fear blizzard would hear of it and takes steps to squash it just like they did the last set up but since others though of explode too I will share my version. I only came up with this team halfway though today's round of bof dailies so I don't know for sure if it will work for all but I see no reason why it shouldn't, it worked well for the 5 I had left.

Singing sunflower with moves solar beam, photosynthesis, and sunlight (any pet with sunlight will likely do but I love the sunflower, it's just so creepycute)
pet bombling with explode, other moves are irrelevant.
Minfernal with explode, other moves are irrelevant.

Sunflower used sunlight and then photosynthesis so it would be back to full health in case sunflower had to come back out again after the bombs were finished then swapped out to bombling which exploded doing 975 damage because explode is based on max health and sunflower added 50% health. This made for a 5 round match on all but lucky yi who I had to wait for it to self heal before starting up the sunlight, the other 4 were not self healers. This could be shaved down to 4 rounds if photosynthesis is skipped.

my minfernal is a p/p version so it hit less than the bombling but it was still enough to finish off the beasts. I plan to swap out my minfernal for something with more health so explode does more damage. A team of h/h minfernal or netherspace abyssals (mix or match as they have the same health) would be ideal but im not camping for another minfernal under any circumstance and me getting one let alone two abyssals is highly unlikely so it will likely be another bombling.

I'll post again tomorrow with how it went against the rest as i can't be bothered to go back around and kill the others with this strategy for no reward.

Edit: I went and tried my team on dos ryga as I figured it might be trouble and it did not go so well because my minfernal doesn't hit high enough (dos was always left with around 60 health and healed before the flower could finish it). It will certainly work fine once I replace the p/p minfernal because the second bombling i will likely be getting will do 135ish more damage than the p/p minfernal. to make it work start out with sunlight and skip photosynthesis, if dos ryga doesn't heal first round flee and reset till he does, any pet with sunlight will do. It was about every other battle that it started with it's heal. Sunlight hitting after the heal but in the same round is essential or this won't work.

Edit again: Decided to go see how nitun went as it had been really annoying for me and this team steamrolled it.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » May 31st, 2013, 3:31 am

Basti wrote:Adding data on 3 Zandalari Raptors vs all 10 BoF.
I tried the new BoF for the first time yesterday. I used the all Zandalari team for everything. The 3 raptors (all P/P) you mentioned one shotted everything but Greyhoof. Greyhoof required 2 tries, probably because 2 raptors were still 24 at that point. Most fights ended in round 5.

Greenstar
MVP
Pet Score:13869
BattleTag®:Mattob#1633
Realm:Deathwing-us

Post by Greenstar » May 31st, 2013, 3:30 pm

I've been using the following team for most, if not all, of the BoF fights. The basic team make-up is based on a suggestion that I saw on the WoW forums (sorry, I didn't make a note of who to give proper credit), but essentially the Glowing Toxin and Trample abilities are based on the health of the opponent so they hit for more than most attacks.

Shrine Fly [5] 1,2,2
Stunted Shardhorn [4] - 1,1,1
Firefly [9] - 1,2,2

I'm using different pets than the original recommendation but ones that have the same ability. i.e. Stunted Shardhorn instead of Clefthoof Runt. I might try out the clefthoof to see if the lower power makes any difference for Trample.

It doesn't work every time but overall I've been having good luck.

Edit: I tried the Clefthoof Runt [6] -2,1,1 and it seemed to last an extra turn and sometimes even more since I clued in and started using Survival. :P I didn't see a big difference for the damage done by trample but I wasn't really keeping close tabs on that for either pet.
Last edited by Greenstar on June 1st, 2013, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aisher
Pet Score:2289
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Aisher » May 31st, 2013, 7:31 pm

pet 1 - Mech dragonling or darkmoon zepplin. bombing run, then flyby, then swap (while both debuffs are up) to
pet 2 - chrominius. cast howl (double damage) which combos with flyby +25%. Then the bombing run hits. then cast surge of power.

I think I've killed just about every BoF with this 2 pet combo. My 3rd pet will be someone to help out just in case. Mech for beasts, lil bad wolf for critters, etc.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » June 2nd, 2013, 5:27 am

Phraide wrote:This is my generic team, which should work well against the majority of the BoF. The goal of this team is to set up a mix of bombs which will detonate on the same turn, under a Howl (+100% damage). You will deliver 100% of your damage at the same time: this way, the enemies won't be able to react and mitigate the damage with their powerful heals.

This strategy should grant you a kill on turn 6 or 7.

Team :
1: Unborn Val'kyr (1,2,2)
2: Pandaren water spirit (1,2,2)
3: Chrominius (1,1,2)

Round 1: Unholy Ascension
Your Unborn Val'kyr resurrects
Round 2: Curse of Doom
Your Unborn Val'kyr dies
Switch to Pandaren water spirit
Round 3: Geyser
Round 4: Whirlpool
Round 5: Switch to Chrominius
Round 6: Howl
At the end of this turn, Curse of Doom, Geyser and Whirlpool detonate at the same time with a +125% boost (25% from Unholy Ascension and 100% from Howl). The enemy takes a truckload of damage and is stunned.
Round 7: Surge of Power if the enemy is still alive

For Dos-Ryga, cast some Shadow Slashes, then proceed as explained above (Unholy ascension > Curse of doom > etc...). The goal is to stall for a bit with the Shadow Slashes to have the enemy's Whirlpool detonate on your Val'kyr's last turn instead of your Pandaren water spirit.
I just have to say thank you! This worked great!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 2nd, 2013, 9:18 am

Trying out the team with Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Chrominius. I added a Menagerie Custodian as third pet to deliver a knock out blow.

1shot Dos-Ryga
Nitun seems undoable with this team.
2shot Ka'vir the Gorger. Failed first try when it used sticky goo on the Dragonling.
1shot Skitterer Xi'a
1shot Lucky Yi. But was a quite close call, not a very optimal team due to frequent massive healing.
No-no seems undoable with this team. Just too many combo breaks.
1shot Gorespine easilly.
3shot Ti'un the Wanderer. Heavilly rng oriented. If it opens with Shell Shield then Flyby gets absorbed and the debuff never applied, and it might suddenly use pump and destroy Chrominius mid combo. Difficult, but doable.
1shot Kafi easilly.
1shot Greyhoof. Chrominius got killed after Howl, but Menagerie Custodian blew up greyhoof with Ion Cannon

Edit: Took a Crow and a gilnean Raven for No-No. The Crow almost Soloed the otter. The Raven delivered the killing blow.

Edit 2: Took 3x Direhorns for Nitun and spammed Trihorn Charge on him and had a quite high win rate over several test attempts.

Just important to watch the enemy cooldown of Ravage and remembering it continues for two turns. So if Ravage is up and your direhorn is near death, swap it out for a healthy one asap! They are powerful, managed to win one round despite a mishap where a lucky Nitun gained Prowl, then one shot a healthy direhorn with a massive 1792 ravage crit and healed to half life.

Aisher
Pet Score:2289
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Aisher » June 3rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

Luciandk wrote:Trying out the team with Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Chrominius. I added a Menagerie Custodian as third pet to deliver a knock out blow.

Just important to watch the enemy cooldown of Ravage and remembering it continues for two turns. So if Ravage is up and your direhorn is near death, swap it out for a healthy one asap! They are powerful, managed to win one round despite a mishap where a lucky Nitun gained Prowl, then one shot a healthy direhorn with a massive 1792 ravage crit and healed to half life.
For Nitun (he's the raccoon that heals, IIRC) I was using mechanicals with self destruct for slots 1 and 2, then chrominius for the killing blow. That way he couldn't heal.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 3rd, 2013, 2:10 pm

Is destruct doing full damage to BoF pets? Elsewise it seems to be fairly low damage.