Multiple skins....

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us
Multiple skins....

Post by Imthedci » July 27th, 2012, 3:42 pm

I know that there are a lot of pets out there (like the Parrot or the Spotted Bell Frog) that have multiple skins. I don't really like this (partly because the collector part of me wants to get one of each... as a rare :lol: ). What do you guys think about this? Should each pet have a single skin or should they be allowed to have multiple skins?

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: Multiple skins....

Post by Lysi » July 27th, 2012, 5:15 pm

I am curious how this is handled in the pet journal, I'm not on beta so I don't know. Or maybe Blizz is renaming some of them or something..? I know people can have I think up to 3 of the "same" pet.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Lonestarr1337
Pet Score:3478
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Lonestarr1337 » July 28th, 2012, 2:26 am

Lysi wrote:I am curious how this is handled in the pet journal, I'm not on beta so I don't know. Or maybe Blizz is renaming some of them or something..? I know people can have I think up to 3 of the "same" pet.
I believe what OP means is there are a LOT of different pets, for example there are a ton of rabbit models... Alpine Hare, Hare, Snowshoe Hare, Arctic Hare, Tolai Hare, Tolai Hare Pup, Elfin Rabbit, and Rabbit. I haven't included any of rabbits you get in other parts of the game, like the Noblegarden pet or the ones from the ranch in the dwarf starting area...

The problem is, there's only like 3 or 4 different skins for these rabbits, and eight different, individual battle pet rabbits to capture. This makes things extremely boring for us collectors who want every battle pet to be rare and unique. =\

Personally, I wish each battle pet had it's own skin like OP suggested. Keep it uniform.

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » July 28th, 2012, 2:41 am

You're kinda close, Lonestarr...

Probably easiest to give an example - I captured two Mountain Cottontails (i.e. rabbit). One of them is all white, while the other one is white with a big brown spot on it. What I'd like is if all the Mountain Cottontails used the same skin...

Although, what you say is true, too. It would be nice if there were unique skins for each pet (so that you could tell a Rat apart from a Long-tailed Mole, for example).

Lonestarr1337
Pet Score:3478
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Lonestarr1337 » July 28th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Yeah, I'd prefer every battle pet to have its own skin that never changes, versus having 10 different types of rabbit/mouse/crab/etc battle pet and all of them use the same 5 different skins.

On beta, I currently have 4 different white rabbit battle pets. It's just so boring to me as a collector.

I just don't want to have to discard rares because my Alpine Hare is the same color as my Snowshoe Hare when there are different texture combinations out there.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » July 28th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Personally, I think wild pets with a rarity of uncommon or rare should be "color changers", meaning that each time you summon them, you have the potential of bringing out one with a different color variation. This saves collectors the headache of seeking every single coloration for a particular pet, reduces the number of pet slots taken up by the same pet, and gives the "quality" factor more of a uniqueness.

There are some wild pets that do this already like the Parrot and a few snakes/beetles. The Worg Pup was the first to be a "color changer", where summoning it could produce a black or brown version of that model. It's like having multiple pets in one! Depending on your mood, you just need to resummon the companion until you get the "right" color you're looking for.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Feathered
Top Rater
Pet Score:5098
BattleTag®:Maleika#1571
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Feathered » July 28th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Quintessence wrote:Personally, I think wild pets with a rarity of uncommon or rare should be "color changers", meaning that each time you summon them, you have the potential of bringing out one with a different color variation. This saves collectors the headache of seeking every single coloration for a particular pet, reduces the number of pet slots taken up by the same pet, and gives the "quality" factor more of a uniqueness.

There are some wild pets that do this already like the Parrot and a few snakes/beetles. The Worg Pup was the first to be a "color changer", where summoning it could produce a black or brown version of that model. It's like having multiple pets in one! Depending on your mood, you just need to resummon the companion until you get the "right" color you're looking for.

Thumbs up for this idea! That would be the perfect fix :)