Pet battling tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shalura
Pet Score:7233
Realm:Anvilmar-us
Re: Pet battling tips

Post by Shalura » July 26th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Dementron wrote: The fawn family is one of the best for low-level healing (Fawn, Little Fawn, Gazelle Fawn and Winter Reindeer), since they get Tranquility at level 2 and Bleat and level 4.
They have good healing, but their damage is pretty weak. Personally, I'm going to go with an Emerald Whelpling. It gets Moonlight @ level 2, and Tranquility @ level 4. And it should be rare, if they keep to "the list".

Sartigy

Post by Sartigy » August 22nd, 2012, 12:21 am

The "quality" pets has me a little down, and worried. Will this mean my rare, exspensive Emerald Whelping could really be a "poor quality whelp"?

Uraa
Pet Score:11608
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uraa » August 22nd, 2012, 4:51 am

Sartigy wrote:The "quality" pets has me a little down, and worried. Will this mean my rare, exspensive Emerald Whelping could really be a "poor quality whelp"?
Not at all. Emerald Whelplings (and indeed, all current non-capture dragon whelps) are Rare quality all the time. Blizzard has a working list of non-capture pets that will always be Rare quality. Other non-capture pets will be Uncommon; to the best of my knowledge, as I'm not in Beta, only wild-caught pets can be Common quality or lower.

Blizzard's current list of Rare quality pets are listed here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6080522555#1

Mumper has stated since that more pets were added to this list, although they have yet to update on what those are (I'm hoping for Tourney pets! :D)

Edit: Added Mumper's most recent pet updates: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6080902772#2

Drake713
Pet Score:3043
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-us

Post by Drake713 » September 10th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Two tips:
1) Never have a team with 2 or 3 of the same pet type. You want to be able to move things around if your pet is weak vs the other pet's type or attacks.
2) The Sunlight weather is VERY useful if you are trying to capture pets since it sets their health to 50% from the start of the fight.

Mairin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Mairin » September 14th, 2012, 4:20 am

Drake713 wrote:1) Never have a team with 2 or 3 of the same pet type. You want to be able to move things around if your pet is weak vs the other pet's type or attacks.
For wild taming and against others I totally agree to keep your options open but if you have the option, multiples of the same pet type in reserve can't hurt. There's a few master pet tamers that have full teams of one type so, for example, vs the all mech team in hellfire an all elemental team is kind of a trump card.

Also for starting out, I found that at least for an alliance toon starting out from SW a "critter killer" pet is a good way to get a slightly higher level with ease so you can prop up the rest of the team while they level. Beasts and even some other critters have a lot of offensive abilities that do more damage to critters which is more beneficial at low level than going defensive. Just remember though if you go the beast route that you want to level others along with it or Old McDonald's mech will potentially make quite a mess of your beast.