Pets you WANT to like but are terrible battlers?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Albain
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Pets you WANT to like but are terrible battlers?

Post by Albain » March 18th, 2013, 9:06 pm

So what pets do you want to like, because they look cool, or have nostalgia for you, but are just too useless to actually use in most battles?

Not sure if this is the right forum for such a question. I want to run a Harpyling up to 25, but looking at its skillsets and stats I don't think it would be competitive. But they look neat! Likewise my worg pup. I want to like it, but it's ... mediocre. There's other pets that do everything it does but better.

Vinven
Pet Score:830
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Re: Pets you WANT to like but are terrible battlers?

Post by Vinven » March 18th, 2013, 9:54 pm

My main character is Tiberyn, Blood Elf Arcane Mage. So when I learned of the Higher Learning achievement and its reward, I spent a week working on getting it. Since then the Kirin Tor familiar has been my favorite pet, roleplaying that it is my arcane elemental pet like a frost mages water elemental. Unfortunately since the pet battles were introduced the pet was reduced in size which is quite depressing. Furthermore since he is my favorite pet I intended for him to be my main pet in battle, but the pet doesn't have a good skill set. Currently he just serves as a backup source of arcane storm for his team.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » March 19th, 2013, 1:18 pm

For sentimental reasons, I wanted the Mulgore Hatchling to be awesome. He starts at uncommon and requires a stone to be rare, which is the first big knock against him. The second issue is that he's a critter who does strong anti critter damage. While there are a lot of critters out there he was strong against, there's also a ton of beasts, usually grouped with the critters. I enjoyed his shield, and eventually his feign death, but he's been underwhelming. The first critter stone I got went to him and he's still one of the two most likely pets I'll have out and following me around, but it's rare he sees a battle these days.

The pet I was most disappointed in, however, was the Frigid Frostling. I needed some elementals to take out mechanicals on a tamer team in Southern Barrens, so I leveled my Searing Scorching, Frigid Frostling and Pebble to level 10. Leveling them to 10 was my first clue. The scorchling kicked serious butt, mechanical or not, but the frostling could barely take out anyone, and when he did, it took forever. I left the frostling at level 10 and took my scorchling on to dominate tamers. He's a staple on my Major Payne team, the Darkmoon team, and anytime someone has a mechanical. The frostling, not so much. I don't even use him as a mini pet because the snow showers from his snowball Never Go Away. I was dumbfounded when I saw the tamer in Townlong Steppes was using a frostling.

Ratshag
Pet Score:6591
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Ratshag » March 19th, 2013, 11:16 pm

"Luggage", aka Creepy Crate, and his FAILSTORM attack. :(

Yashima
Pet Score:2930
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu

Post by Yashima » March 20th, 2013, 3:39 am

I have to second the Kirin Tor Familiar. It really takes time to get this and I did it back in Wrath when a lot of people were camping those books because I loved the idea of such a big minipet following me around. I don't even know if I leveled him beyond level 10. At the beginning I used to like Arcane explosion ... and then I didn't.

But the pet I like most and battle the least: Moonkin Hatchling

My main is a druid which I played as a Moonkin for a couple of years and so I bought the baby Moonkin from the pet store. I think it was my third pet to 25.Ever since my pet selection at level 25 has become larger I don't use him for battles much. ... he is cute but he either does that suicide combo with that Sunbeam & Roots or he doesn't do much. Seriously underwhelming. I am still hoping to use him in a combo with a pet with Sunlight ... maybe. While leveling he was ok because he has humanoid,elemental, air and magic attacks and defends well against a common pet type in the wild (Critters) ... but he was last to 25 of my first team because he died too often ...

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » March 20th, 2013, 7:10 am

Murkablo, and basically any pet that has no synergistic attacks or no niche.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » March 20th, 2013, 7:25 am

Frosty, sadly. :(

He's my absolute favorite pet, hands down, bar none.
He's also a terrible battler except in a few, isolated cases.
I wanted to make him my mainstay. He was my first to 25.

He's my "on permanent follow" pet, but I just don't use him in battles. :cry:
ImageImage

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » March 20th, 2013, 12:36 pm

For me, the pet I wish was better is my Disgusting Oozeling. He's not bad, it's just several other Oozes are so much better.

I wanted the Sunreaver Micro-Sentry to be awesome as he's one of the coolest looking mechs but his ability spread just blows.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 20th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Talmar wrote:I wanted the Sunreaver Micro-Sentry to be awesome as he's one of the coolest looking mechs but his ability spread just blows.
Ditto! Was a bit disappointed when I got him to level 25. Oh well, at least he looks cool.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » March 20th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Just about any cricket type, even the fabled one is often dropped by just my Stunted Shardhorn. :P

Morlis

*edit...

Though in retrospect I have to honest I never thought of these as cool and have never really intended to use them either.

So cool pets that don't stack up to what I envisioned. Pandaren Monk is one I wanted to use a lot, he is very cool, but unless fighting Dragon types, he doesn't hold up well. He was in my first team to make 25 but honestly I haven't used him much since I got more teams. He is by no means horrible, but there are better humanoid options.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Rifkin
MVP
Pet Score:9103
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Rifkin » March 20th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Murkimus the Gladiator!!
When we first heard about pet battles, he was the first I thought of :( I read somewhere that they didn't want pets that are hard to obtain (either TCG or achievements) to be pets people felt they had to get in order to be competitive. But I don't see the need for that, most pets have another that is similarly made up. Plus it feels a bit unfair, those of us who buy or grind our way to getting these pets, do it because we want them, not because of their stats/breeds. But considering they are no longer just a vanity item, it would be nice for them to have stats/breed that are on par with other good capturable pets. I think its the least we deserve for working hard either in game or in real life.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 20th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Kirin tor familiar & Sunreaver micro-sentry get my vote.

Zythehealer
Pet Score:2908
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zythehealer » March 20th, 2013, 8:47 pm

My Sea Pony :( Sapphire Cub is a close second. Why oh why is that pet an elemental??

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 20th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Zythehealer wrote:My Sea Pony :( Sapphire Cub is a close second. Why oh why is that pet an elemental??

I didn't even think of the cub, though sea pony doesn't look too bad, but admittedly, I haven't leveled him yet.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 21st, 2013, 1:09 am

I'm not sure what's wrong with the sea pony either. Its one of the higher power cleansing rain/pump pets.

Zythehealer
Pet Score:2908
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zythehealer » March 21st, 2013, 10:08 am

I guess I was just so disappointed when I found out he was B/B. Fishy basically has the same moveset, isn't RNG to acquire and has 273 power compared to the Sea Pony's 276 so he doesn't feel as good as he should have been.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » March 21st, 2013, 3:13 pm

While I don't use sea pony much I do use it against Tamer Nishi. Sea Pony using all 3 second abilities can kill all 3 without ever fighting either the turnip or worm. Against the flower you just use the wave to kill the back 2 and finish the flower with pump. The group heal I use when ever flower casts the group damage spell, this takes away the extra heals from Sunny Day also. Good way to level up lower pets. Just can't be too low level because Flower's group damage is a bit better than Pony's group heal.

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Charmed6229
Pet Score:1597
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Charmed6229 » March 21st, 2013, 9:39 pm

Sporeling from Zangar.

Letifa
Pet Score:1715
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Letifa » March 26th, 2013, 10:48 am

My zergling with his pitiful zergling rush and overall weak critter based attacks. Could have made it so much more fun with a turret mechanic added to the zergling rush skill, or perhaps bumping up his attack with adrenal glands rather than his crit chance. Metabolic boost on pretty much the fastest non-flier in game is a bit of overkill aswell :(. On a similar note i was slightly dissapointed by the baneling pet aswell.

Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Exel » March 26th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Porcupette for me. It is the coolest looking quillrat/hedgehog but lacks greatly in stats and moves.

Raptor hatchlings are also very mediocre, though I use Lashtail Hatchling in my raptor combo team sometimes. Zandalari hatchlings, on the other hand, are awesome.

Crickets, I believe, win the prize for the most useless pets ever.