1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vaalbo
Pet Score:5527
Realm:Moon Guard-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Vaalbo » February 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Fel Flame - When farming this pet in Shadowmoon Valley it is always smart to fly up to the top of the Hand of Guldan, as well as the surround lava areas. The spawn rate of this pet seems to be about one or two every ten minutes, so expect to fly around quite a bit if there is competition.

This is an epic pet in battle, and my personal favorite to use against the Dark Moon Faire pet master. I use burn, immolate, and conflagrate. When starting this battle I like to use my Fel Flame first, which means I will just surrender until I get the mech pet, which in this case is the tonk. First it is good to immolate, then on your next turn use conflagrate. Because your target is ignited, it gets to hit twice. This move hits for about 600-700 damage, so if the mob is not dead by that time, just finish it with a burn. However, with the Mech pets they will res, and simply will take one more burn to bring down. I have managed to even bring down the eye AND the tonk with my Fel Flame.

By far a great pet for battle, plus he looks awesome.

Siccarius
Pet Score:1408
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Siccarius » February 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Are you one of those people who have been TRYING to enjoy yourself in Pet PVP, but just keep coming up against those Evil Lil' Rags, Anubisath Idols, Pandaren Monks, and other meta pet teams? Does Reflect make you want to cry? Ever want to make them suffer? I have the pet for you!

Giant Bone Spider at first seems like a lack-luster guy: not very different from the other twenty or so spiders in the game. But I promise you, he is truly special. First, pick a move set of Bone Bite, Siphon Life, and Death Grip.

What you will soon notice, is that his speed makes him a monster of a counter against any pet that's known for being heavy on the attack, but lacking on the speed. The ability to Death Grip before their pets can even move gives you the upper hand you need to overcome the current imbalances found in the popular pets. By being able to Death Grip before them, you are able to: get a free hit of 300+ damage, interrupt any strategy they were planning, and also have the ability to Siphon Life multiple targets at a time, giving you some respectable healing and longevity in battle.

His Undead abilities make him one of the only threats to the Anubisath Idol, which I have found to be one of the most popular staples in max level pet teams. I will warn that the battle against him is not an easy one-- if your Death Grip is reflected, or if you allow him to activate Sandstorm, you will find yourself in a pickle. However, it he has the fighting edge that other pets just don't seem to have. Not to mention, the Undead Racial is always good for getting another 600 damage out before he croaks.

To accompany this guy, I recommend something with a hard hitting Elemental Ability, because Fluxfire Feline preys on him.

Thank you for reading my guide.

GunslingerCow

Post by GunslingerCow » February 8th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Phoenix Hatchling Great pet. You can run the regular version of the dungeon to get it too, not just heroic!

Superdmason
Pet Score:6726
Realm:Norgannon-us

Post by Superdmason » February 8th, 2013, 5:44 pm

The Shell Shield ability on the Emperor Crab is incredibly useful for killing the Chirrup the Cricket pet for the battle dailiy against Aki The Chosen. He will take no damage at all and be able to heal up through his Renewing Mists
Pet Charge - PvE Pet Battles and more.
http://petcharge.wordpress.com/

Mulvane
Pet Score:2449
Realm:Frostmane-us

Post by Mulvane » February 8th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Enchanted Lantern can cast illuminate to boost health AND healing. When used with the

Magical Crawdad (level 25)
Health is increased to 2830
Wish heals for 1179
Renewing Mists heals for 25% more

Clockwork Gnome (level 25)
Health is increased to 2319
Repair heals for 1211

Saviya
Pet Score:11609
BattleTag®:Saviya#1875
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Saviya » February 8th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Cinder Kitten is my favorite companion. He may not be the strongest, but he is so adorable that I keep him out with me everywhere I go. Scorthed Earth + Immolate offer some fair background dmg to your attacks.

Also, make sure you bring something to occupy him when you're in raids. Having a fluffy ball of fire stare into your soul can be bad.

I also have a great love for Nightsaber Cub, between Pounce,Rake and Devour he can take out entire teams on his own with little difficulty. I just recently decided to move to a new training spot for leveling pets, and using my cub I've found valley of four winds to be a great place. Bandicoons, Marsh Fiddlers and Quillrats all come with mostly critter teams which he can take out entirely on his own, and none of them do team wide damage that will kill a low level pet.

If you like the Nightsaber Cub you should also check out the Cornish Rex Cat. Where the Cub has high speed and decent attack, the Cat has high attack and decent speed with the same set of abilities. If you're using the cub, use Pounce and Rake, and for the cat use Screech and Pounce to make up for the lower speed.
Last edited by Guest on February 13th, 2013, 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

WHTJunior
Pet Score:8348
Realm:Terenas-us

Post by WHTJunior » February 8th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Mini Thor

This pet is great against most Beast class pets, including those used by Battle Pet Masters like Stone Cold Trixxy (Frostmaw), Major Payne (Grizzle), Obalis (Pyth), Jeremy Feasel (Fezwick), and even the Thundering Pandaren Spirit (Darnak the Tunneler).

Even if you are stunned the first round (as Fezwick and Grizzle are apt to do), you can often still take them out with the fllowing progression: Sticky Grenade : Toxic Smoke : Missile until the grenade drops.
If the Beast is the 2nd or 3rd pet, you can let the Beast stun a different pet, and then switch to Mini Thor to start the combo.

This might also work for Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot, Clockwork Rocket Bot, or [pet]Lil' Smoky[/pet], since they have similar moves, but I have not tried them. Besides, Mini Thor starts off rare, while the others require a Battle-Stone.

I acquired my Mini Thor from eBay, minus the bonus items that come with the StarCraft II Collector's Edition, so it was a bit cheaper than you'd usually find it.

Southpaw00
Top Rater
Pet Score:3398
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Southpaw00 » February 8th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Darkmoon Rabbit

This bloody little guy isn't just cute but, if you are lucky enough to get breed 5 (S/S), he will be the star of your line up.
With a speed of 357, he will go first versus most pets.

Turn one Dodge , turn two Huge, Sharp Teeth, then Burrow when necessary.

You have yourself a dodging, burrowing death machine that has the ability to avoid many abilities, shrug off stuns and roots (being a Critter), all the while having the bleed ticking.

Ruffius
Realm:Tol Barad-us

Post by Ruffius » February 8th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Infinite Whelpling

The combination of Sleeping Gas and Darkflame gives a nice damage and a very nice combat control. The chance of sleep, and the heal reduction makes this Pet one of my favorites to deal with the popular Magi-Mecha teams. But that is not only that, It's name is not just a nickname, is a very nice hint. Do not forget to bring with you your Healing Flame. There will be no good time for your opponents. Played well, this Whelpling will be Infinite.
Last edited by Ruffius on February 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beregond
Pet Score:2119
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Beregond » February 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm

[pet]Lil' XT[/pet]: this pet (along with his twin, [pet]Landro's Lil' XT[/pet]) is the best option to quickly farm Beast battle stones; just battle wild pets in areas with lots of high level beast pets (my favourite is in Kun Lai Summit, around One Keg so I can quickly heal the team with the stable master in the town).
At the start of the fight cast Heartbroken followed by Tympanic Tantrum, after 4 turns the enemy team is already KO or at very low life depending on the rarity. It can be a good idea to powerlevel another pet while farming too, by allowing the low lvl pet to start the battle then switch to XT and follow the same strategy.
Last edited by Beregond on February 8th, 2013, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arvelayne
Pet Score:3784
Realm:Frostwhisper-eu

Post by Arvelayne » February 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Pets like the Winterspring Cub and Panther Cub are excellent pets for levelling in areas with lots of critters, like Half Hill.

Their Devour ability means that they can kill an opponent in two or three hits, and then heal themselves back up to nearly full health every time, meaning you almost never have to rest or bandage your team.

My Winterspring Cub (Snowblind) was one of my first level 25 pets, even though he was only uncommon. That's how good he is. :)

Good luck and good hunting.

Arve,
pet alt.

Larvacea
MVP
Pet Score:7953
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Larvacea » February 8th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Small Frog

This unassuming pet is my weapon of choice against undead; undead abilities are weak against aquatic, and this aquatic pet comes with two good beast attacks (Tongue Lash and Swarm of Flies). Combine these with the self-heal Healing Wave, and your small frog can murder quadruple its weight in undead (and entertain you with small frog noises).

Less ambitious pet battlers may prefer higher-level frogs from Pandaria, but for true bragging rights, Elwynn Forest level 1 ftw.

Eppon
Top Rater
Pet Score:7514
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Eppon » February 8th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Mr. Bigglesworth

This adorable cat sports whiskers made out of sparkling ice crystals and enters your view with a non-harmful howling blast effect, complete with sound. A frosty mist always remains around his little paws.
The sparkling icy whiskers continue to glow even when he is placed in shadowform by a shadowpriest owner. Many confuse these whiskers for a set of glowing eyes.

This versatile, undead feline has equal amounts beast(Claw, Pounce and Prowl) and elemental(Frost Nova, Ice Tomb and Howling Blast) attacks, making him capable of both freezing mechanical opponents, and fighting off the very critters that are most harmful to him.
Mr. Bigglesworth has abolutely no Undead abilities, and is currently the only Undead pet lacking any of its family's abilities. Every other Undead creature has at least one Undead ability, even if it is the copy skill Dark Simulacrum.

Always remember the circle of life for pet strength!
Human fighting skill kills Dragonkin, dragon's breath and tail sweep away Magical beings, magical attacks blast Flying beings out of the sky, wind blows back Aquatic forces, water washes away Elemental beings, elemental attacks ruin delicate Mechanical constructs, machines make quick work of Beasts, predators hunt Critters, critters' innocence wards off the Undead and the forces of the dead overwhelm anything Humanoid.

P.S. Mr. Bigglesworth lacks the deep-seated desire to attack humanoid enemies most of his vitality impaired companions have. Someone has to clean out his litterbox, after all.
Last edited by Eppon on February 8th, 2013, 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tipperscales
Pet Score:8691
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Tipperscales » February 8th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Disgusting Oozeling is a good pet to use for the Panda Water Spirit daily. As a Magic type pet, he can't die in one hit, and using Absorb and Corrosion can keep his health up while wittling away the enemy. He can almost solo the daily by himself.
Last edited by Tipperscales on February 8th, 2013, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blanther
Pet Score:4348
BattleTag®:fyara#1143
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Blanther » February 8th, 2013, 6:22 pm

well my pet that would be killer combination for anything would be the http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/un ... ling-claw/ When you combine http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/u ... e-of-doom/ followed by http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/undead/agony/ and then http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/u ... eath-grip/ it forces the current pet to get hurt alot almost killing them and pushes them into the back that they can't do anything about it

Moogoogaipan
Pet Score:1118
Realm:Velen-us

Post by Moogoogaipan » February 8th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Harpy Youngling Very easy to find in Dry hills kill all pets you find. I did it around 9pm EST time had 2 rares drop in 15 minutes =)

Sabatea
Pet Score:4096
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Sabatea » February 8th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Azure Whelpling and Hippogryph Hatchling

These two pets combined make a unique and efficient team. When the Azure Whelpling is close to death, you simply use Surge of Power, which then will leave your Azure Whelpling to die (Hence the reason to wait until it is close to death) and then the pet has done as much damage as it can possibly do at that moment. You are then left with the remaining pets or the last bit of health of the mob for the Hippogryph to kill. You can then use Reckless Strike for the remainder of battle (Provided the Hippogryph does not have a decrease in strength towards the battle pet it is attacking). This is an easy and effective way I make my kills.

Spacerose
Pet Score:5169
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Spacerose » February 8th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Lofty Libram

I like Arcane Explosion on the Lofty Libram. It reminds me of my mages days in classic AV, blinking into a cluster of Horde spamming AE 8-)

For pet battles, Arcane Explosion can damage your opponents entire team in one attack :o

Bobargent
Pet Score:6827
Realm:Staghelm-us

Post by Bobargent » February 8th, 2013, 6:52 pm

When you are trying to capture pets in each region don't forget to explore the entire region to get your World explorer acheivement!