1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mizzen
Pet Score:12784
Realm:Tichondrius-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Mizzen » February 8th, 2013, 11:52 am

Tiny Snowman - The Tiny Snowman is an underrated battle pet primarily because he is a magic (green) quality pet by default. He should be one of the first pets to benefit from your Flawless Elemental Battle-Stone, making him a powerhouse ice-based elemental battle pet.

Frost Nova followed by Deep Freeze is a powerful snare + stun combo for tougher mechanical pets or you can use Call Blizzard + Howling Blast for a nice nuke option.

In addition, he is a fun little guy and reacts to your /dance, /kiss and /wave emotes!

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » February 8th, 2013, 11:55 am

Creepy Crate

This little . . . um, guy? . . . is my absolute favourite pet. The reward from a quest chain available during Hallow's End, he has plenty of character.

Considered by most to be a tribute to the The Luggage (often described as "half suitcase, half homicidal maniac") from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels, he seems to share many of the same homicidal tendencies and will happily EAT any nearby critters. Yes, he's even been known to eat the cows in Elwynn Forest! (Sadly these days the cows are beasts not critters so are a little bit out of his league, maybe the farmers complained! However, a trip past the crazy cat lady's house with your Creepy Crate will render her much more "crazy" than "cat lady", if you know what I mean). ;)

His flavour text sums it up: "Previous owners of the crate have reported the disappearance of other pets from their collection."

Happily he doesn't seem to have eaten any of my other pets. Yet.

As a battle pet, he may not have the best stats out there but his Death Grip ability can certainly be useful in pvp battles.

First he cases the joint, looking for potential victims . . .

And then he pounces!
Last edited by Mehetabel on February 8th, 2013, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thrawna
Pet Score:2466
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Thrawna » February 8th, 2013, 12:02 pm

You can use any flying pet to level up other pets lightning fast around the pools on the east side of the Vale. Engaging the wild Eternal Striders in the water will almost always give you 3/3 aquatics to fight. I leveled many pets using my Fledgling Nether Ray and it didn't take much time at all.

Renthor
Top Rater
Pet Score:12920
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Renthor » February 8th, 2013, 12:09 pm

With Blitz, Reflection, and Rampage the Flayer Youngling can easily best Stormlash and Chirrup of Aki the Chosens pet battle. Combined with Jade Owl for Whiskers and I never even need my third pet.

I have also found that the Pandaren Earth Spirit is easily defeated by an critter with a higher speed than his. I usually use a Bandicoon Kit or a Shy Bandicoon with 325 speed.

Emrys
Top Rater
Pet Score:2695
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by Emrys » February 8th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Little Black Ram

Headbutt is a great ability for this little guy. I was surprised that something so small could pack such a punch!

Vicbreizh
Top Rater

Post by Vicbreizh » February 8th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Want a good fighter against elemental, particularly pandaren spirits ?

Try Snarly, this little croc is a killer. (think all of his brothers too)

Use his abilities Rip to put the blood dot on target, Surge to rush in first, and finish him with Blood in the water.

Easy mode !

For all pandaren spirits excepted the Earth one I use my team with snarly,Celestial dragon, and Pengu

For the Earth one, just replace Celestial Dragon by Emperor Crab for his Whirlpool and Renewing Mists (heal)

Rufelieux
Pet Score:2608
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Rufelieux » February 8th, 2013, 12:18 pm

A Guide to Level Up Battle Pets

With this guide I'd like to share with you one of the easiest ways I use to level up battle pets.

First of all you need to level up a "tank". In the beginning SHORE CRAB or STRAND CRAB would be the best option because of its healing abilities RENEWING MISTS and damage absorption SHELL SHIELD that can be active simultaneously.
Besides when you reach level 10 you'll get SURGE unlocked, which can be crucial in many fights because this ability always goes first.
The basic tactics for this pet is to put up the shield at first, then healing, and you can pewpew. You have to remember to keep your shield up all the time, because it absorbs significant amount of the damage taken as well, as it mostly absorbs all the damage over time (eg. POISON FANG from snakes) and blocks attacks such as SWARM from critters (although it doesn't let you avoid its side effect).
With this tactic you should keep your health topped during the whole fight.

Also you should get a sidekick to help you fighting with eg. flying pets. My pet of choice was HOPLING. It's easy to get from Ling-Ting's Herbal Journey achievement, and its abilities are more than good. Because of its incredible speed you should be able to attack first in most cases, so you can use BACKFLIP to stun the target. Also POISON LASH unlocked at level 15 will be a nice 5 rounds addition to your damage dealing. At last, but not the least HOPLING heals itself a little every round.

When you level them both upto 25 level you should get pretty good leveling setup for your other pets. Besides, when you reach level 25 on these two the experience is no longer split in the group; all goes to your leveling pet (you must use it in the battle though ;)).

You should remember few things:

- always keep your shield and healing up while SHORE CRAB/STRAND CRAB is on,

- kill pets using SHORE CRAB/STRAND CRAB or HOPLING when needed, but remember to swap to your leveling pet before you deal final strike to last remaining pet,

- before you swap pets always use SHORE CRAB/STRAND CRAB healing ability RENEWING MISTS; you're gonna have 2 rounds of very good healing on your leveling pet,

- while fighting mechanicals or undead you should swap to your leveling pet only in the round when those pets gets resurrected to avoid unneccessary damage,

- sometimes you can get a huge amount of damage on your leveling pet, which is impossible to be fully healed. So you should fight pets that are 5 or more levels higher than your leveling pet; you get 3-4 levels in 5 battles, automatically topping your health every level gained. Then you should move to another area with higher level pets to keep 5 or more level gap and benefit the most (higher level gap between your leveling pet and the one you attack is - higher chance to receive flawless stone),

- even though your STRAND CRAB and HOPLING can suffer in critical situations some damage that cannot be fully healed, don't worry. 8 minutes cooldown on Revive Battle Pets spell (which not only resurrects, but also fully heal all your pets) is actually very short ;).

Good luck and have fun.

Roanranger
Pet Score:2272
Realm:Blackrock-us

Post by Roanranger » February 8th, 2013, 12:22 pm

[pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet]

I leveled this guy first because I wanted a team of exclusive pets (so him along with Core Hound Pup and Fetish Shaman). But even after I learned the ins and outs of pet battling he's still my go-to pet.

My favorite trick I discovered is the a 1-round KO.

[*] Swap [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] in against pet with under 500 hp
[*] Cast Elementium Bolt
[*] Cast Tail Sweep, killing the enemy ([pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] is just about guaranteed to go last for the extra strike)
[*] This activates the ]Dragonkin racial
[*] Next pet swaps in; cast Call Darkness and watch the Elementium Bolt land

The key is having two high powered attacks hitting the same turn with the dragonkin's damage bonus up.

The best part is this will still work in 5.2 when the Dragonkin racial is fixed to only last one round!

Orindal
Top Rater
Pet Score:8425
Realm:Darkspear-eu

Post by Orindal » February 8th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Crunchy Scorpion

The Crunchy Scorpion is a great way to level other pets quickly. Head over to the Veiled Stair, where all the pets you will face will be Critter type. Do a one shot with the pet you want to level then swap to the Crunchy Scorpion and use his Rampage attack which will do a huge amount of damage and will also hit for 3 rounds meaning you dont have to pay close attention to the fight or click loads of buttons.

While its on cool down you can use Crouch to allow you to battle longer or just use Triple Snap to make it a very speedy battle. This will make for a very quick low effort fight allowing you to speedily level a different low level pet.

There is also a stable master here meaning you can quickly heal and keep going. Via this technique I have levelled a lot of pets very quickly, give it a whirl! The only possible faster way is just to use a Cinder Kitten and kill all enemies with raw cuteness ha ha :D

Nikiyaki
Pet Score:3909
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Nikiyaki » February 8th, 2013, 12:28 pm

To make full use of [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet]'s Conflagrate without having to give up Sons of the Flame to Flamethrower, make your starter pet one that can cast Scorched Earth and swap Ragnaros in after casting it.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » February 8th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Emerald Whelpling - This little guy is not only extremely cute, but also extremely survivable and is a prime example of slow and steady wins the race. For the first ability slot, you have a choice of Breath or Emerald Bite. While both do the same damage, you choice should be based on what you're facing and what you chose in the second slot. The second slot is a choice of Moonfire or Emerald Presence.

If you are facing flying pets, and don't need the damage reduction, then Emerald Bite and Moonfire are the way to go since both do magic damage, and Moonfire will bump both the magic damage and the heals from your third slot ability. If facing a magic opponent, then choose Breath. However, Emerald Presence is more all around useful, since it negates things like Stampede or their equivalent, as well as many DoT type abilities like Acid Goo.

For the third ability, I prefer Tranquility over Emerald Dream simply because you can put out more damage while having constant heals. The down side is that the heals aren't large, and you have to renew it every few rounds.

Combining Emerald Presence with Tranquility makes it very hard to kill this little cutie, while you slowly burn or bite down your foes. He's the backbone of my team vs several tamers and a general go to when doing while battles.
Last edited by Tiggindy on February 8th, 2013, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Furkel » February 8th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Spirit Crab semi-useless fun fact: it's the ONLY undead pet (so far) with aquatic moves. This is probably only useful if you're ever trying to defeat an Elemental with dragonkin moves, BUT STILL.

Shmoooey
Pet Score:9327
BattleTag®:Shmooey#1554
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Shmoooey » February 8th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Szechuan Chicken - this has become my go-to flying pet for trainers that have crabs or turtles in their line-up. She seems to be a bit sturdier than firefly pets and can still take down these aquatics with ease. Egg barrage is great for finishing off these enemies before their next heal.

Hanzo
Realm:Deathwing-us

Post by Hanzo » February 8th, 2013, 12:45 pm

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/magic/demons/minfernal/]Minfernal[/url] - Fun Fact: Minfernal's Immolation, which does elemental damage every round for 9 rounds, continues to work when the Minfernal is swapped out. This is particularly useful at the start of the fight, which can augment your team's round-to-round potency.

Tamon
Pet Score:7361
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Tamon » February 8th, 2013, 12:45 pm

For easy leveling in the Valley of the 4 Winds I have found Feline Familiar to be absolutely solid in this zone.

The combination of Stoneskin and Devour allow you to avoid most Poison damage, and a great self heal that hits very hard against the critters that are in this zone.

Combine this pet, with your favorite flyer and you should be able to clear mobs very quickly and level your lowbies without any issues.

Dolyttle
Pet Score:2075
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Dolyttle » February 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Alright my new favorite pet is the Fluxfire Feline. I added it to my other favorites which include Spirit of Summer and Blighthawk. Now a friend of mine told me just how powerful the Fluxfire was. With his two moves in a specific order you can pretty much one shot any other pet. =)

First what you want to do is Wind-up, then you Supercharge, and then Wind-up again. and Ta-da 2.5k+ dmg. Now they are supposed to be fixing this pet soon =( which makes me sad. So get the use from it while you can!

What I did was make a lvl 1 Gnome on a bunch of RP Servers and just ran up to the lake, searched around then hearthed back down. If there was none then I went to the next server, rinse and repeat. Till I found myself 3 blue quality ones =)

Good luck! and happy hunting!

Kandystryper
MVP
Pet Score:9027
BattleTag®:Squishy#1137
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kandystryper » February 8th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Emerald Turtle

Excellent for wild pve & npc pet battles, especially the H/H (6, 16) breed as it can take a licking and often outlast a trio of rares provided all 3 are not very strong vs aquatics. To view the breed types, a useful addon is Battle Pet BreedID.

An agreeable area to win battles or to help level up other pets is Jade Forest. I am partial to the Arboretum section.

The Emerald Turtle is an all-around team player. I will sometimes choose a Mirror Strider for the Cleansing Rain when I opt for the Healing Wave ability for that extra healing. Otherwise, a Scourged Whelpling's aoe Dreadful Breath can help vs the occasional other aquatic opponents that might join in and take some health off to facilitate an easier round and overwrite weather affects using Call Darkness.

In the case of having to swap out a pet due to Frog Kiss, the ever popular Fluxfire Feline is also a formidable partner as it can eliminate problematic opponents fairly well with Supercharge and Wind-Up.

I am currently leveling a rare Softshell Snapling as I find it useful to be able to swap out similar or identical pets for faster progression in the event that I have no bandages, am far from a stable, and Revive Battle Pets is on cd.

Hope this helps you think of a battle pet you hadn't considered before :)

Moonlup
Pet Score:1799
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Moonlup » February 8th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Kirin Tor Familiar

A magic type pet with a decent array of moves, and the ditto-like [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/undead/dark-simulacrum/]Dark Simulacrum[/url], I like this little guy simply because he looks cool, especially on a mage character.

My secret hope is that someday mages will get a minor glyph to make their water elementals look like this guy.

Rubymyst
Pet Score:3870
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Rubymyst » February 8th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Cogblade Raptor

This cute raptor is one of my all time favorites. I use this pet whenever I am fighting a beast in Pandaria. I start the fight with overtune then batter. Then I heal my raptor using Repair. This puts you out for 2 rounds, but when u come back you are almost fully or fully healed again. I then rinse and repeat. This works so well that I end up killing most of my opponents team. The repair works really well if you hit it close to death as well..since the raptor is mechanical it will come back to life after death. If you are lucky and hit repair at the right time when u come back from death you will again be fully to almost fully healed and can continue to battle!!!!
Last edited by Rubymyst on February 8th, 2013, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.