1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Johnarryn
Pet Score:5190
Realm:Lightbringer-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Johnarryn » February 8th, 2013, 9:39 am

Scourged Whelpling - I love using this pet to easily defeat Jeremy Feasel, the Darkmoon Faire pet battler. Wait until he begins the fight with his Darkmoon Eye pet. Open with Plagued Blood, then continually use Tail Sweep. I usually finish off the Darkmoon Eye at nearly full health. Killing his Darkmoon Tonk is then fairly trivial with my Whelp and a fast Elemental pet. This usually leaves me plenty of room to comfortably kill of his annoying Darkmoon Monkey with a low-level pet, leading to some fast leveling.

Ty
Pet Score:2433
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Ty » February 8th, 2013, 9:40 am

My Pandaren Monk can kill any dragon in 2 shots.

Have a buddy start with Call Darkness

Then switch back to Pandaren Monk use Fury of 1,000 Fists and finish with takedown

BAM!! :o One dead Dragon. :D Finish with a drink. :lol:

Tylandria
Top Rater
Pet Score:4719
BattleTag®:Tylandria#1777
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Tylandria » February 8th, 2013, 9:44 am

Dragonbone Hatchling found in Dragonblight is a great source for Flawless Flying Pet Stones and power leveling pets. The Stable master nearby makes the trips easy if you're without bandages. The pet itself is amazing against Aquatic types.

Vodzimir

Post by Vodzimir » February 8th, 2013, 9:50 am

Scourged Whelpling

Obtainin' this little guy is pretty gimmicky at the moment, but he is a surprisingly versatile little dude compared to a few of the other one-trick-pony dragons. He can make most magic, humanoid, and dragonling's days pretty rough!

He's been my personal go-to anti-dragon pet with his Call Darkness and/or Dreadful Breath, having replaced my Dark Whelpling for this job.

His speed is a little on the bleh side, so I prefer to use Tail Sweep for the anti-magic move-- and I may be wrong, but I think moves like this may be able to sneak past the "40% limit" ability that the magic pets possess, since it's "per attack" and not "per turn".

I prefer Death and Decay for the undead slot, tho' it may depend on the battle... Just because it's a very long-lasting DOT that will definitely help with those stubborn pets. It's a good last ooh-rah if you know your little zombie dragon is getting low on health and you want to help the rest of your team take on the next pet. <:

Dreadful breath is, by itself, not a fantastic move, as it's easily blocked by any humanoid with stoneskin or a like move, like the Anubisath Idol (who can pretty effectively wall a massive amount of movesets), but it's what you're stuck with for humanoid damage if you want D&D for your undead slot. If you feel like you're going to go up against more dragons than humanoids, try Call Darkness. In addition to messing with accuracy, it does a tidy amount of damage. Nice for taking a big chunk out of an already hurting dragon, but the 5 round cooldown means that it's unlikely for you to survive to use it again, unless you are just completely walling an opponent that can barely touch you, or if you get amazingly lucky with the RNG gods.

Raax
Pet Score:10990
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Raax » February 8th, 2013, 9:51 am

If you're lucky enough to have the Panda Cub from the original Collector's Edition you can use his Hibernate when fighting Farmer Nishi's Toothbreaker. Hibernate allows you to rest and heal during the Sons of the Root multi-round ability. You can then finish up with Bite and Maul to him take down.

The Panda Cub should be able to take all three opponents allowing you to switch in one or two leveling pets as you see fit.

Vakovlk
Top Rater
Pet Score:10682
BattleTag®:Vakovlk#2470
Realm:Drak'thul-eu

Post by Vakovlk » February 8th, 2013, 10:04 am

Leopard Tree Frog

As a first pet in battle use: Swarm of Flies, ideally when the opponent is burrowed or trying to avoid your attack, then use Cleansing Rain to boost your DPS about 25 % and finally spam Water Jet with nice amount of dps :)

Eladanri
Pet Score:2257
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Eladanri » February 8th, 2013, 10:05 am

Rapana Whelk

You can find this creature in Dread Wastes along the Briny Muck.

If you want a powerful pet against the Pandaren Spirit dailies, this is the perfect pet for you.
He is a critter so he takes 33% less damage from elemental abilities and he comes with a very powerful ability against elemental pets:

Dive
This ability protects you from one of the Pandaren Spirits attacks and gives massive damage the next turn.

Acidic Goo
An ability that will make Dive more powerful because it increases the damage the enemy pet takes by an extra 25% for 3 turns, not to mention it has a dot effect of around 90 dmg per turn at lvl 25.

Absorb
This is a good source of damage and healing and you can pair with Acidic Goo.

Tactics:
Thundering Pandaren Spirit - Bag from the daily can drop Pandaren Earth Spirit
Start with Acidic Goo (first turn you will most likely get stunned but in the rare times you don't this is a good opener).
Acidic Goo again if you got stunned otherwise do Dive.
After Dive just keep doing Absorbs until he is dead.

Burning Pandaren Spirit - Bag from the daily can drop Pandaren Fire Spirit
This elemental will always use this combination of spells: Conflagrate > Cauterize > Immolate. After the Immolate he doesn't attack until Conflagrate is out of cooldown.
The trick is to have Acidic Goo up and cast Absorbs until there is only 1 round left on Conflagrate cooldown, then you use Dive so that when he does Conflagrate again you will be underwater.

Whispering Pandaren Spirit - Bag from the daily can drop Pandaren Air Spirit
This elemental can be a bit tricky, switch the Absorb ability with Ooze Touch for extra damage.
Just start with Acidic Goo > Dive > Ooze Touch > Ooze Touch

Flowing Pandaren Spirit - Bag from the daily can drop Pandaren Water Spirit
This one is the easiest to fight.
Star with Acidic Goo > Dive > Absorb. Just refresh Acidic Goo when it falls off and use Dive when it's off cooldown.

If you want to collect the 4 pandaren spirit pets, you will need to kill this guys every day. Having this pet in your team will make it a lot easier to do it! Happy hunting :)

Aureale
Top Rater
Pet Score:3489
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Aureale » February 8th, 2013, 10:10 am

I've been using Chuck since I first got him from the fishing dailies in Shattrath. His rip ability combined with blood in the water does massive damage. Combine that with Kun-lai runt rampage ability, you get a great team to level up pets. Just add a lower level pet in the first slot, have it fight a round, then Chuck and Kun-lai runt can clean up anything.

Omnyzm
Pet Score:11199
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Omnyzm » February 8th, 2013, 10:23 am

Marsh Fiddler

Believe it or not, this guy can be key to beating the Pandaren Earth Spirit daily tamer quest. As a critter, he will break out of Crystal Prison quickly and if you save Cocoon Strike for when Rupture has 1 round left on cooldown (assuming you are slower) then you will be protected from that too. Toss [ability]Nature's Touch[/ability] when available to stay topped off and Skitter the rest of the time. It won't be a fast fight, but you'll survive. He'll even have enough left to take a couple shots at/from the next pet up.

Happy Hunting!
Dãzz - Oberøn - Omnyzm

Silverz
MVP
Pet Score:13866
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Silverz » February 8th, 2013, 10:24 am

Flayer Youngling

Too bad it is being nerfed, but the Reflect ability of this guy is Over Powered so I completely understand. I use him against most Pandaria Trainers, including the spirit tamers. Simply use it when an opponent uses a high damage ability such as Dive, Whirlpool, Burrow, or Lift-Off to name a few. Not only will you not take damage from these abilities, but in most cases your Flayer will damage your opponent pet with his own ability for massive damage. In many cases, my Flayer Youngling can solo at least 2 of the pets if not all 3. I mainly use him against critters and dragonkin by simply switching between Blitz and Triple Snap.

Good luck all, and happy collecting.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » February 8th, 2013, 10:33 am

Eternal Strider:

Use this pet (or any other pet with the same set of abilities) with the abilities Water Jet, Healing Wave and Pump to battle Farmer Nishi.
Use Water Jet whenever you don't need to heal or your heal is on cooldown. Heal whenever the ability is available and you need a heal. The Singing Sunflower's Solar Beam will help with that. Finally, charge Pump whenever your heal is on cooldown and you can't attack the enemy (this only applies to the Terrible Turnip and the Jungle Grub) and let it loose instead of using Water Jet the next time. This is especially useful to fully hit the Jungle Grub right before it burries the first time.
With this you should easily be able to leave the remaining two slots to other pets that can then share the XP to level, or you can focus on a single pet and get another one as backup, just in case you get terribly unlucky with dodges and misses.

Draconigena
Top Rater
Pet Score:9081
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Draconigena » February 8th, 2013, 10:42 am

emperor crab
or any other aquatic pet with the Whirlpool ability: don't use this ability straight away if you are battling Farmer Nishi and he brings up his Turnip pet.
The Turnip will cast the burrow as first ability, and you will waste your whirlpool.
Just time your whirlpool to not fall in the burrowed turns, i.e don't cast it up to 2 rounds before his burrow comes off CD.
( most of the times he has higher speed and so will always cast it before you do)

Adashiel
MVP
Pet Score:3297
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Adashiel » February 8th, 2013, 11:06 am

Spring Rabbit

If you're trying to get a fast breed (aka Breed 5/15 or S/S) pet with the rabbit moveset and the RNG is being unkind, don't overlook the Spring Rabbit. You'll need a flawless battle-stone for best results, but it only has one breed, and it's the coveted fast one! Many collectors already have one, but if you don't, you can check your AH, and Noblegarden is just a couple months away. It's also adorably frisky, especially in the presence of other spring rabbits.

Xeno79
Pet Score:2731
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Xeno79 » February 8th, 2013, 11:08 am

Darkmoon Faire Trainer

For a winning team against this trainer I like to use my Soul Of The Aspects, an elemental like Lil Ragnaros, and a harder hitting mechanical like [pet]Lil' XT[/pet]. In actuality the latter two that you use don't matter so much as you'll see the combo I set forth using the Soul Of The Aspects(SotA) is devastating to the enemy team.

Important: Make sure the battle begins with the Darkmoon Eye. Just keep beginning and fleeing until you get it.
Step 1. Use Reflection at onset. This will weaken the Darkmoon Eye and strengthen your next two attacks via Darkmoon . Then finish the Eye off with Breath, no sweat.
Step 2. Use Surge Of Light on the Darkmoon Tonk. Even if you don't land the stun you'll be fine. Blast the Tonk with Breath and then Reflection again. Often you may survive longer with your SotA but either way your on your way to victory.
Step 3. Put in your elemental (or mechanical if you landed the stun), finish off the enemy's current pet and weaken his last. To hear the "Alas, too soon" your dying to hear from the trainer, lay them to rest with your last pet.

So easy your grandmother could do it; now getting the Eye to drop, that's another story!

Estevia
Pet Score:5555
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Estevia » February 8th, 2013, 11:16 am

Rapana Whelk

Awesome pet for you to use against the Pandaren Earth Spirit, its critter which makes the stun last only for that round. It has Dive which hits the Earth Spirit hard plus it has Absorb which helps keep it alive.

Also, for collecting Fluxfire Feline, if you are horde remember to create a low level gnome on alliance side and just park it in Gnomeragan to catch your Feline.

Snowmoose08
Pet Score:4012
Realm:Vashj-us

Post by Snowmoose08 » February 8th, 2013, 11:18 am

Rapana Whelk is easily one of the best pets to use on the Pandaren Spirit Tamer quests/daily quests. As a critter, it takes 33% reduced damage from elemental, and its aquatic move, dive, is perfect for dealing massive damage to those elemental. Well worth training if you're planning to collect all four Pandaren Spirit pets through dailies. Can be captured at level 24-25, which means only having to train up 2-3 levels after capturing.

Sason
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Sason » February 8th, 2013, 11:24 am

Darkmoon Rabbit

On the first week of every month a creature spawns from the depths of the cave. An innocent creature with blood on its face and paws and you cant help but want to take it home. You call in your friends, a large group of over 10+to come knowing that only one can take it home. But this innocent bunny was deceiving as it has... BIG SHARP TEETH! Such a small body.. but yes such a big mouth.. And now you know the blood wasnt his but the blood of others who had decided to go into the cave of the bunny.. sometimes few ever make it out. But during a fight if you ever stray too far from the cave into the water, the rabbit fears baths and may reset. Best thing is to stay in the cave.. and heal or dps for this bunny is the sharing type as it will eat the face of everyone and tanks do very little to deter him from his.. sharing.
Last edited by Sason on February 8th, 2013, 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Akyo88
Pet Score:2065
Realm:Altar of Storms-us

Post by Akyo88 » February 8th, 2013, 11:27 am

Cinder Kitten, maybe one of the cutest little fellas you will put your eyes on and it sounds cute too!
Starting a battle with Scorched Earth then following with Immolate will put the poor enemy pet in a real hot bin! Or if one prefer getting of a hard it instead, you can use Prowl.

This is also the cleanest and most tail obsessed pet you will find! Whenever Cinder kitten get a moment rest in a battle it will start making its already clean fur even cleaner, then it sees its tail and does a adorable roll for it. Then back to cleaning!
Cause that one roll made it all dirty again!

Ombre
Pet Score:13188
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ombre » February 8th, 2013, 11:46 am

To get your Pandaren Air Spirit in Jade Forest bring only Dragonkins in your team. Personally I use the three musketeers for this daily Wild Crimson Hatchling, Wild Golden Hatchling and Wild Jade Hatchling. You may even replace one of them to a pet you wish to level but avoid Aquatics here as all three pets has Flying attacks.

Kivia
Pet Score:1757
Realm:Runetotem-us

Post by Kivia » February 8th, 2013, 11:47 am

Crimson Lasher

I use this pet to level my low level pets quickly. Here is how I do it:
Step 1- Have level 25 Crimson Lasher as your starting pet
Step 2 - Have the pet you want to level on the pet team.
Step 3 - Go to a spot where the wild pets for battles are 10-15 levels higher than the one you wish to level.
Step 4 - Once engaged in pet battle, cast Soothing Mists
Step 5 - Swap to pet you wish to level and go 4-5 rounds
Step 6 - Swap back to either your Crimson Lasher or a higher level dps pet and finish the fight.
Once the pet battle is complete you will get more exp and level up your low level quiet fast.

Hope this is helpful to anyone. Thanks and good luck pet collecting!