Pet Ability Questions

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tizerbob
Pet Score:2379
Realm:Runetotem-us
Pet Ability Questions

Post by Tizerbob » January 20th, 2013, 2:15 am

A lot of the abilities to me don't seem "clear" in their description, or in what way they stack, etc. so I'm just going to post a lot of questions here.

1. Mudslide - Falls under the evasion category, but says nothing about it in the ability description; so does it?

2. Damage Buffs + Investment Ability - Say I'm using Mr.Bigglesworth and use Prowl/Ice Timb; does Ice Tomb do more damage, because I cast it when I was buffed? Or would it only do increased damage when it hits with a buff up (same question for a debuff like Wild Magic).

3. Mechanical Pet Passive - I have noticed sometimes (when receiving a non-multi hit attack) that the pet doesn't reincarnate. Bug? Ability that prevents it?

4. Tidal/Magma Wave - What exactly are "objects" that they clear? Never actually seen it done; do they clear Mine Field & Decoy? What about ground AoE's like Death and Decay / Toxic Smoke?

5. Horn Attack - What? So if you're faster then your opponent "you" get stunned?

6. Humonoid Racial - If using a DoT, such as Harbinger of Flame's "Immolation", does he get the 5% HP bonus for every tick of a DoT or only single attacks?

...That's all I can think of for now will add more later.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: Pet Ability Questions

Post by Gendou » January 20th, 2013, 2:49 am

Tizerbob wrote:1. Mudslide - Falls under the evasion category, but says nothing about it in the ability description; so does it?
I haven't used this enough to know the answer to that, but now I'm curious.
2. Damage Buffs + Investment Ability - Say I'm using Mr.Bigglesworth and use Prowl/Ice Timb; does Ice Tomb do more damage, because I cast it when I was buffed? Or would it only do increased damage when it hits with a buff up (same question for a debuff like Wild Magic).
As I understand it, the damage is buffed if the buff is up when the damage lands.
Which is why you would, say, use Lil' Deathwing's Elementium Bolt and then Roll - EB benefits from the Roll +Damage when it hits.
3. Mechanical Pet Passive - I have noticed sometimes (when receiving a non-multi hit attack) that the pet doesn't reincarnate. Bug? Ability that prevents it?
I've noticed the same thing. I assumed it had something to do with a multi-hit not animating, or a dot ticking just before.
I could be wrong, though, so I'd be interested in more insight on this as well.
4. Tidal/Magma Wave - What exactly are "objects" that they clear? Never actually seen it done; do they clear Mine Field & Decoy? What about ground AoE's like Death and Decay / Toxic Smoke?
DnD, Smoke, etc. are considered DoTs, even though they persist. I believe they only clear things like Minefield, Decoy, Turrets - mechanical stuff.
I'd have to test it to be sure.
5. Horn Attack - What? So if you're faster then your opponent "you" get stunned?
I haven't used either my Runt or my Stunted, so I've no idea... now you have me curious about this.
6. Humonoid Racial - If using a DoT, such as Harbinger of Flame's "Immolation", does he get the 5% HP bonus for every tick of a DoT or only single attacks?
I believe you get healed for ANY damaging attack, which is why dots, bleeds and multi-attacks are so powerful for Humanoids.
...That's all I can think of for now will add more later.
Sorry I couldn't answer more of them. Hopefully some of the real experts can come in and elaborate.
ImageImage

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 20th, 2013, 4:03 am

Gendou did a good job. I will try to help where I can.

1. I am not aware of mudslide having any evasion component, but it does prevent YOUR pets from swapping out, so be aware.

2. Buffs, like evasions happen the round of, so you need the buff up when it hits, not when it launches. lil Deathwings' EB will 'miss' even happening sometimes if you have his call darkness up, so sometimes it is worth it to launch it before casting CD.

3. What you are seeing is a hit so massive that it is more that the 20% that it returns to life with. So, say you have 10HP left when hit and you die, and 1000 total HP. you 'should' return to life with 200HP after a death the first time, BUT if the hit is more than 210HP, you just die altogether. I think this is a bug, as undead ALWAYS return to life for 1 round, no matter the damage taken.

4. I never fight any wild pets or trainers that use any thing that is left on the field that i can think of, nor do I ever use most of the AoE moves like arcane explosion, tidal wave or magma wave to damage back row as they take too long to be of use, and the front pet just keeps losing HP in the process. I prefer to just direct damage the front pet to death and do the same to the other pets. The one exception is on the guy in Dustwallow with the 3 dragons. I use my curious wolvar pup with Frenzyheart Brew and then whirlwind, and roflstomp the front pet and back row.
Tl;DR: don't know because I haven't used it.

5. Don't know, haven't used it.
EDIT: is takes the opponent's turn, not your turn, it is just worded funny. I tried it out, and the other pet did not do a move after I used it, but it took a few tries to get anything to happen.

6. Any damage, even from the back row in the case of a DoT will heal a humanoid, but you ONLY get 5% each round, no more, as long as some damage from that pet hits, so no double dipping and getting 10% back. It would be good to point out that weather effects that increase total health, like sunlight, increases the amount of each tick per round, so 5% of 1000HP becomes 5% of 1500HP, and you get 75 per round you damage, not 50. So again, curious wolvar pup, using whirlwind even if he hits all three pets, only gets 5% for that round.

There are some other moves that I would have to go through the list and ask my own questions, as some behave strangely that you did not list, but I cannot come up with them right now.
mykro9#1585

Tizerbob

Post by Tizerbob » January 20th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the responses so far; thought of another question:

7. "Sear Magic" & Other Remove Buff/Debuffs - I swear I've used this one time before and it didn't get a DoT off me like creeping ooze or whatever, does it only remove certain things? Are there ways to get rid of obnoxious investment abilities like Whirlpool?

Tizerbob

Post by Tizerbob » January 20th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Mykro9 wrote: 5. Don't know, haven't used it.
EDIT: is takes the opponent's turn, not your turn, it is just worded funny. I tried it out, and the other pet did not do a move after I used it, but it took a few tries to get anything to happen.
Ok, hold on, need clarification, brain confused. If I have slower battle pet that uses "Horn Attack" against a battle pet that is FASTER the me, does the chance to trample exist or is it when "I" am faster.

Nyara79
Pet Score:1782
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Nyara79 » January 20th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Shardhorn's horn attack is a chance to stun the opponent if the shardhorn is faster. I use mine a LOT but am rarely faster than my opponent. It's still a powerful attack paired with the power bonus.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 21st, 2013, 12:01 am

Tizerbob wrote:
Ok, hold on, need clarification, brain confused. If I have slower battle pet that uses "Horn Attack" against a battle pet that is FASTER the me, does the chance to trample exist or is it when "I" am faster.
So, to clarify, I used this against lower level wild pets, some of which were taken below half health on the first hit, so passing for the CD to end still killed them on the next attempt, so I had to keep fighting more battles to keep trying it until something procc'ed.
If your pet is slower, there should never be any effect, as its proc comes from your pet being faster. Unfortunately, this is a completely useless feature, as no pet that has horn attack is fast at all, nor do they have any speed increasing or opponent speed reducing moves.
So, it would only ever be useful in wild pet battles vs lower level and slower pets. Or the very rare chance that you waste a turn to swap out for the pet with horn attack after using a pet that does have a move like screech that reduces your opponent's speed by 25% for 4 rounds. And doing this for the 50% chance that it will stun your opponent and stop their move that round is a waste of time in my book. There are better pets and better ways to do this.
mykro9#1585

Tcaveny
Pet Score:2521
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Tcaveny » January 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am

Tizerbob wrote:3. Mechanical Pet Passive - I have noticed sometimes (when receiving a non-multi hit attack) that the pet doesn't reincarnate. Bug? Ability that prevents it?
What you are most likely seeing here is the known bug to 'wind-up' style attacks. Any attack that takes one turn to 'wind-up' and then a second to unleash is currently bugging out both the mechanical and undead racial abilities. Pump is another example of this that is frequently seen.

This known bug is one of the reasons why Fluxfire Feline is so popular right now in PvP (since it will one shot any non-elemental and mechanicals and undead aren't even getting their racial bonus rounds).

Mumper has said that this is a known bug and is going to be fixed in 5.2.