Help putting a team together for a guild pet battle challenge

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Petrel
MVP
Pet Score:11420
Realm:Tichondrius-us
Help putting a team together for a guild pet battle challenge

Post by Petrel » July 27th, 2022, 8:59 pm

My awesome guild of non pet battlers has decided to put together a pet battle challenge for me during season 4. Ten different guildies are going to put together family-specific teams, and I need to battle each of them. I'm limited to having 6 battle pets that I can pull from to form all of the teams, and I can heal between battles. What would be your list of 6 pets that can be used to form teams against all possible families? Also, any help with comps would be appreciated. I mainly do pve and am a little intimidated by battle pet pvp. Thanks!!

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Help putting a team together for a guild pet battle challenge

Post by Gráinne » July 28th, 2022, 10:56 am

Aw, that's really nice. :)

Important point: will you know what family you're about to face when making yourteam? Like: "And next you face Joe, who will be using a Magic team!" Because if you know that when you select your pets and slots for the battle, it's really helpful.

The most useful thing you can do to prepare yourself, I think, is to spam the PvP queue with your selection of pets until you're bored. You will lose most of your early games, of course, but the experience will teach you a lot.

Consider this current tier list for PvP: https://www.wow-petguide.com/PvP/49/PvP_Pet_Tier_List

Think in terms of combinations of two pets that have synergy - that feed off each other's strengths - and coverage - that are either strong or tough against each family.

This would need thought, to construct an ideal roster of 6 ...

Jingles + Anomalus is a very nice combination. Jingles covers Beast, Mech, Magic, and somewhat Flying damage. Anom has Magic, Beast, Dragonkin.

Sandstorm and Darkness are insanely overbuffed this expansion, so maybe a H/P Living Sandling and an S/S Qiraji (or an Idon instead of the Qiraji, so you have the Deflection for other purposes) for the Sandstorm.

In this context, there's a lot to be said for the Stormborne Whelpling, that has strong magic damage one side and strong Mech damage the other. But do you have enough coverage of Magic with Anomalus already? Mm, interesting. OTOH, beginners without avoidance will just be blown away easily by Mana Surge ...

If you have Twilight, Darkness/Surge of Light combo would probably be a shock to someone who doesn't know about it

There are all very mainstream, meta suggestions that are easy to play and won't let you down.

You can then consider the relative strengths of the Families in general. Critters and Aquatic are weak. They're hard to get Family Brawler achievements with. So don't focus too much on beating those. Mech, Humanoid, Undead are strong families - and Magic, now there is Anomalus.

I think if it were me, I'd have either the Fel-Afflicted Skyfin or an S/S Fiendish Imp in my set somewhere to mess with my opponent's well-laid plans, but using the swap does take a little experience and confidence. Again, the more real PvP practice you get, the better. I would also find some way to abuse the hell out of the Undead racial, because that's the way the game was when I was first learning. :)

Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud so far. Just thoughts. No conclusions. But I may think more about it ...

Edit: I just watched Kovok's latest video 10 PvP pets to bring into Dragonflight https://youtu.be/vkVPD0LrJe0 and it occurred to me that a team he mentioned at the end of Jingles, Anomalus and the Foulwing Buzzer might well run rings around most basic-PvE teams all on its own, if you are used to its tricks. I see your Foulwing is B/B, but in this context that's not terrible, since 280 is still fast against your expected opposition and it's a flyer, so you can get your swap in early. I also see you have Twilight, so that's good. Choice between S/S Qiraji and (Idol or perhaps better Void-Scarred Anubisath) will depend on your comfort level at using Blackout Kick effectively. And then the H/P Living Sandling,

Aquitas
Pet Score:12996
BattleTag®:Aquitas333#1619
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Aquitas » July 30th, 2022, 8:08 pm

Hmm this is a fun question. I do try to make teams that have synergy, like a darkness team or a sandstorm team but generally when making teams I try to make sure I have a pet that can change weather, I have a dodge ability and a barrage ability. I have some favorite pets that I use on a lot of teams.
Here are some of my favorite teams
Boneserpent s/s 1,2,2
Crimson Skipper s/s 2,2,2
Skittering Venomspitter 1,1,2

I also like
spinebug s/s 1,2,1
Moon touched netherwelp 1,1,1
Nightshade sproutling s/s 1,2,2
for this team start with spinebug and cast dazzling dance then return to rest, this will bring in moontouched netherwhelp if the moontouched netherwelp is faster than the opponent then its really hard to deal with, use nightshade sproutling to finish the game. A s/s nightshade sproutling is hard to get so you can replace it with another darkness pet like maybe a crimson skipper or a wiget the departed with prowl and call darkness, this will allow you to one shot pets if they dont have a block ability. I use this against sunlight teams which I don't like because they are so boring to play against.
Other pets I would consider is a lost quill, Kun-lai runt, Anubisath Idol, Lil Ursoc

Petrel
MVP
Pet Score:11420
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Petrel » August 1st, 2022, 9:55 pm

Thanks so much to both of you for your input! ... @Gráinne to answer your question, yes I will know which team I'll be facing, which definitely makes things easier. I had mainly been thinking about having coverage against all families, but your suggestion to focus on beating the stronger families was really helpful. I'll watch Kovok's video and play around with your combinations. @Aquitas thanks so much for your suggestions on teams/moves.

We haven't set a date for the battle pet gym challenge, but I'll definitely post an update afterwards. <3

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » August 2nd, 2022, 8:17 am

Glad it was of some little help. But, honestly. your experience is worth more than any advice.

BTW, because I had got interested, I tried that team Kovok mentioned. I went 3-0 with it, but it is a desperately low-health team, and you really have to work the gimmicks rather than take it for greanted.

BTW this is a vid Kovok did with that team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdi-Zytp0w

Warmaul
Pet Score:12234
Realm:Twisting Nether-eu

Post by Warmaul » August 13th, 2022, 1:54 pm

Just run double sandstorm (e.g. ss quiraji guardling - living sandling) + a strong third pet of your choice (e.g. ss bone serpent) and faceroll almost anything.

Post by Guest » March 27th, 2023, 10:15 pm

Warmaul wrote:
August 13th, 2022, 1:54 pm
Just run double sandstorm (e.g. ss quiraji guardling - living sandling) + a strong third pet of your choice (e.g. ss bone serpent) and faceroll almost anything.krunker
Wow. This is useful information.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » May 16th, 2023, 11:16 am

Hi,

Of all things, one of the most important is KNOWING what your abilities are and as well (with addons) know what the opponent is going to use, so you can choose this 2nd pet or 3rd pet instead.

I find that the knowledge of the pets I enjoy using are a great benefit, and help. And one advantage of making sure you are using your new pets as the 3rd pet in most battles, is to learn some of their abilities and when to use them, and some of them are magnificent.

This Pet Battle Challenge would not be good for me ... other than getting gold the likelihood is that they could not give me a pet that I do not have, for example, which would be a much better prize, specially as the least expensive pet I can buy these days in Valdrakken is about 15K on this Draka server. Maybe one day I can get that Gregarius Grell ... I can't even spell his name!