Pet Battle Spaghe… well, the workings of pet battle abilities.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
Pet Battle Spaghe… well, the workings of pet battle abilities.

Post by Paladance » December 1st, 2021, 1:31 pm

Hello Warcraft Pets Forums, been a while! (And happy Pet Battle week!)
Long time ago, I planned to leave my 1000th post for something special, but that never came to be. I have something that might be of more use though. ;)

[NA / EU threads]
Battle pet abilities can be… weird. Tooltips can only say so much, and a lot of the details one can know only by trial and error with a little bit of data.
So I thought I’d be worth it to continue what Gemllum has tried once on old US forums – and contain as much info about the abilities as possible.
I can enclose two main goals for the list:
  1. To have a resource handy to link or quote when a player notices anything odd, or would like to ask “what if?”, and:
  2. To highlight various events behind the scenes, including how blurry the distinctions between features, oversight and bugs may be, and – laugh as you might – contribute to the feedback.
[The public content being public: don’t exploit, ya troggs. All the worst of the bunch has been reported, and undoubtedly will be again.]

Thus, the way of presentation might look a little jagged, with so many things clumped or not a little arbitrarily, and seemingly obvious things juxtaposed with database terms.
But I am afraid, had I wondered any longer about this, I’d have delayed it even more!

I will be happy to keep updating the contents as long as I can, provided that any given claim can be easily reviewed, and Public Test Realms remain helpful.
:!: :!: While it might be me who maintains the document, it’s a product of shared knowledge of many wonderful people who have been at it for years. Many still there, some no longer – but all mentioned in the preface. :heart: :!: :!:
I’d like to also thank the author of wow.tools, for both the convenience and its eye opening character. Wishing many amazing prospects for the future, and for the legacy to carry on the way you wish it to.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15pc ... CvCKR9CJfo

Please note this is not a balance prompt. It will come, but I believe fixing bugs and clarifying intended behaviour comes first, because otherwise, what are you trying to keep up with anyways?
I guess glaring headscratchers such as “identical abilities with different cooldowns” are fine, and might make a separate list of these later.

Also, please don’t make the discussion too much of a grumpfest, everything is a grumpfest right now, and the local variety of… well, also’s been going for years. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anything the forums can’t handle? I’m in Discord as Remte-EU#8485, and in Xu-Fu’s Pet Guides. I am sure other people will be happy to help, too!

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Sunderezz
Top Rater
Pet Score:11384
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Re: Pet Battle Spaghe… well, the workings of pet battle abilities.

Post by Sunderezz » December 23rd, 2021, 7:53 pm

I want to thank you for this amazing tool & all the work you put into it.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Pet Battle Spaghe… well, the workings of pet battle abilities.

Post by Paladance » January 3rd, 2022, 2:54 am

Thanks!

I haven't got much reaction but I understand that a lot of people have left.

There's still enough valuable help, though. ❤︎ Lazey stays tuned on PTR news, and Mutanis is a champ with all the math and testing.

This is our newest finding:
varimathras.png
varimathras.png (36.19KiB)Viewed 6077 times
Considering breaches are essential for many strategies, and sometimes you can't avoid the variance, I can easily imagine a work where the difference puts a wrench into the plans, with a little chance of detection until now. That's big oof.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507