Battle Pets Representation on New WOW Community Council?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Sunderezz
Top Rater
Pet Score:9074
Realm:Twisting Nether-us
Battle Pets Representation on New WOW Community Council?

Post by Sunderezz » November 1st, 2021, 5:58 pm

Linking here to the 11/1/21 news article explaining the WOW Community Council https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/world-o ... ty-council.

The stated intent is
. . . Player feedback impacts all aspects of the game, and with such a wide range of opinions, playstyles, and interests out there, gathering and understanding feedback is more important than ever.

To help further our efforts in this area, we’re introducing the WoW Community Council. This program will add another venue for communication between players and WoW developers. Our goal is to gather more detailed feedback on all aspects of World of Warcraft from players around the world with a wide range of backgrounds and interests.
I read so many great ideas in battle pet related forums. Hoping we get a voice in this new Council. Of course, it may just amount to "spitting in the wind", yet thinking positive here. ;)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:11549
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Battle Pets Representation on New WOW Community Council?

Post by Quintessence » November 2nd, 2021, 6:51 am

Here's hoping a couple of people from both pet battling and pet collecting camps get onto the council!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Superstition
Pet Score:11400
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Superstition » November 2nd, 2021, 7:41 am

Fingers crossed, we better get some representation!

Gráinne
Pet Score:10752
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » November 2nd, 2021, 2:42 pm

What do you think would be the effect?

I have my ideas on what I'd like to see. Those are no doubt different from Quintessence's or Dragons', or Rosqo's. In some cases, violently different. And I'm quite we all have very different ideas from the vast majority of people who pet battle only sporadically, or who collect without battling more than the absolute minimum.

Kuja, in the Discord, thinks that the introduction of battling entirely ruined collecting, and calls it a bad idea.

So which of us should the devs listen to?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:11549
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 2nd, 2021, 4:05 pm

It's possible the devs will listen to both - those for battling and those against. Those for battling might offer up some ideas for new features, systems, etc. Those against it could shed some light on why there's the aversion and how things could be changed to lessen the dislike.

It's also possible the devs will mainly want to hear from players who are actively for X aspect of the game. I mean, I don't think they'll want excessive feedback/coplaining from someone that hates PVP, over someone that loves PVP and wants to see that part of the game thrive. They're probably willing to hear out some criticism though.

My hope is that both battlers and collectors get a spot at the table. Both parties will no doubt have input on Pet Battle/battle pet bugs, glitches, and gameplay suggestions.

Or! This whole council thing might not work out at all... >_<
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Sunderezz
Top Rater
Pet Score:9074
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Sunderezz » November 2nd, 2021, 11:46 pm

The more I read and think about this, the more important it seems to have the battle pets community represented. There are many long term players who contribute so much to this community, anyone would be such a great advocate for our little corner of WOW. I would trust any of those I am thinking of to represent a balance between their own opinions and the overall community concerns expressed in many forum posts across the web.

I appreciate WOW developers taking action to try to mitigate what they perceive to be barriers discouraging new players from entering the battle pets game. It will be interesting to see the effectiveness of strategies they implemented in the 9.1.5 Patch https://www.wow-petguide.com/News/328/P ... 021-09-16

Any focus group has to address a few key questions regarding the target population being considered. Two or three key questions might be:
1. What might attract and support newcomers as they learn the game?
2. What might motivate & help retain long term players?
3. What might encourage both PVP players & pet collectors to continue to play the game?

Of course each of us has our own "wish list" . . . does anyone have the skills/time to do a survey? Would this even be useful?

As always, my appreciation for everyone taking their time to make the game a positive experience for all players.

Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Aranesh » November 5th, 2021, 9:16 am

I'm hopeful for the council. The devs have always listened to the community but in an intransparent, disconnected way. No one knew where they got the feedback from exactly, how it was gathered, collated and weighted. There was no feedback loop. The council has the chance to provide that insight, to make it easier for the entire community to channel their voices and for the devs to give feedback back into the community in a more targeted and personal manner.

That being said, if that works out, I don't think it will make too much of a difference who from the pet battling community is picked, as long as there is representation and as long as those people understand their role as community representatives. From the people I know have nominated themselves I don't think the latter would be a problem. Fingers crossed!

Gráinne
Pet Score:10752
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » November 6th, 2021, 7:51 pm

"as long as those people understand their role as community representatives"

I don't see any indication that Blizzard expect their chosen members to act as "community representatives" in the sense of gathering feedback from other players and presenting that. As things stand, I wouldn't expect that to be my role if I applied (I haven't) and was selected.

I perceive this more as a focus group, a very badly chosen sample of people who will give their own personal opinions.

Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Aranesh » November 8th, 2021, 4:23 am

That's a bleak outlook :/
I do hope that most people would understand their role as a representative and that Blizz would also encourage that style of feedback. Otherwise they would just create the same system again with a group of "trusted" people who have an artifically high impact on decisions. I hope for and believe it will be something better! :-)