Rewards for Pet Battles?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Snowyjoe
Pet Score:2540
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Rewards for Pet Battles?

Post by Snowyjoe » May 8th, 2021, 11:16 pm

Apart from dailies that reward pet tokens and PvP battle for achievements, is there anything beneficial to investing in PvP Battles?
I'm sorry I've just been collecting pets and hardly dabbled in PvP battles. They look kinda fun but the greedy part of me was wondering if there are any is anything to benefit from it outside of Pet collecting.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Rewards for Pet Battles?

Post by Gráinne » May 9th, 2021, 4:19 am

PvP rewards were decently enough balanced with PvE rewards when pet battling was introduced, in Mists. Since then, PvE rewards have seen hyperinflation, while PvP rewards haven't changed at all, and have fallen shockingly behind.

If you really want Purple stones, you can get one from PvP every Pet Week. Working on 5 minutes per battle and a 50% win rate, that will take you 10 battles, 50 minutes, limited to one every ... 7? ... weeks. You can get as many Purples as you like anytime from PvE for 3 or 4 World Quests each - call it 30 minutes. The regular weekly quest What We've Been Training For takes twice as long, and rewards just a Pet Treat and a few Bandages. with some small possibility of a random Blue or Yellow stone. Again, you can get the Charms to buy these anytime from World Quests with a fraction of the effort.

You can do the PvP Weekly only once across all characters, while you can do the WQ on as many characters as you have.

You can get a random Stone as a drop from PvP battles, but you can get a random Stone from ANY pet battle, and I'm not convinced the PvP drop rate is higher.

Longer term, you have the Stunted Direhorn pet (a good pet) exclusively available from winning 250 PvP battles, and the title Trainer from winning 1000. You also have the second-most dorky Tabard in the game from Family Brawler, 100 wins under the handicap of using exclusively each family for 10 wins.

I can understand wanting the Stunted Direhorn, and I can understand, if you are going for that, trying to get 100 of the 250 wins through Family so as to double up on your time spent - though Brawler is a lot harder then getting 100 wins with unrestricted teams, so may lengthen your time.

To do more than that, though, I would think you have to be enjoying it. I know some high-achievement points people doggedly grind on to 5000 wins, but it is a horribly long time, especially if you don't enjoy it. If you can get 250 wins, you can get 5000; it just takes 20 times as long.

Snowyjoe
Pet Score:2540
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Snowyjoe » May 10th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Thank you for the in-depth explanation!
So I guess pet battles have become mostly a PvE thing now then.
I was hoping there might be some sort of rated Pet Battle system or something in-place by now but I guess not.
I might just stick to collecting them in PvE then. Thank you again!

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » May 19th, 2021, 11:50 am

Snowyjoe wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 2:11 pm
Thank you for the in-depth explanation!
So I guess pet battles have become mostly a PvE thing now then.
I was hoping there might be some sort of rated Pet Battle system or something in-place by now but I guess not.
I might just stick to collecting them in PvE then. Thank you again!
i believe the lack of rewards for pvp pet battles is due to how badly till this day it is balanced and some players have made it unfun to do pvp pet battles by running meta teams. i know many a collector on this site dont do pvp pet battles.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » May 20th, 2021, 9:10 am

Indirectly, yes.

Imagine what would happen of the devs made PvP battles very rewarding, say 200 Charms and a Big Bag o' Stones for the weekly, or some unique pets, but left everything else as it is.

We would see a whole bunch of people joining the queue. After being kicked senseless a few times, they would all flood back with their Anomaluses and Sandstorms (FOTM "meta" at the moment) and they'd all hang around hitting random buttons and getting more and more annoyed until they got their rewards. Then they'd get out and gripe about it.

We can thank the devs for not giving in to that temptation.

Balancing 1500 pets is impossible. Improving balance among a small subset of pets, and then flipping that around every month or two to provide some freshness, is possible, but would destroy all pet battling. And would you trust that job to the people who deliberately made the bizarre Stampede and Weather changes for Shadowlands?

Personally, I would have liked a cycle in which only a different subset of pets could be used for PvP each week. But Family Brawler killed any possibility of that.

So, yeah, at least the devs aren't making anything worse.

Post by Guest » August 17th, 2022, 10:40 pm

hi i'm new,phoodle i'm still having a bit of a hard time getting and getting rewards. Any advice for me?

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » August 18th, 2022, 4:38 am

What rewards are you looking for?

Pets are mostly gained by

a) capturing in the wild
b) dropping from mobs in the world or in raids (can also be bought for gold at the Auction House)
c) vendors who sell them for Charms
d) a few achievements

Other than pets, the main rewards are Polished Pet Charms, which are rewarded from BfA and Shadowlands World Quests.