Anomalus must be stopped

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12995
Realm:Aggramar-us
Anomalus must be stopped

Post by Harpooha » April 12th, 2021, 10:36 pm

So freaking tired of seeing this stupid pet every time I queue. It's way past time we memory hole this abomination.

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: Anomalus must be stopped

Post by Rosqo » April 13th, 2021, 2:31 pm

I think I prefer facing Anomalus rather than multiple Sandstorm teams. Just pop one counter pet in the team so when you face Anomalus you can stop it landing it's combo.

Kytu
Pet Score:2537
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Kytu » April 18th, 2021, 10:31 am

Yep, so boring. 3 spiders faster than anomalus with brittle webbing and spiderling swarm destroys them.

Sunderezz
Top Rater
Pet Score:11384
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Sunderezz » April 18th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Harpooha wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 10:36 pm
So freaking tired of seeing this stupid pet every time I queue. It's way past time we memory hole this abomination.
What is worse than one anomulus? Three anomuli. WHO does this :shock: Someone in my queue - probably the same person that does three idols.

Sunderezz
Top Rater

Post by Sunderezz » April 18th, 2021, 5:03 pm

Rosqo wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:31 pm
I think I prefer facing Anomalus rather than multiple Sandstorm teams. Just pop one counter pet in the team so when you face Anomalus you can stop it landing it's combo.
What does everyone find to be an effective counter?
My current favorite is the MPD: decoy protects team against 2 attacks; breath x 2 finishes the job.
Thanks to Disco Doggy for his treatise on the bugger https://pvppetbattles.com/multi-attack- ... lity-tree/

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952

Post by Hawg » April 20th, 2021, 10:01 am

I decided about 2 months ago to go ahead and pound through my "win 1000 pvp battles" achievement and decided that I couldn't stomach the thought of using one of the 3XSame pet teams, or other popular meta OP teams. So I made this team:

1: Carnivorous Lasher (1,1,2)
2: Infernal Pyreclaw (1,1,1)
3: Whomper (2,1,1)

When the enemy had Anomalus I found that starting with Whomper almost always worked. The other player would inevitably start with Anomalus and most were so focused on their planned rotation that I could kill Anomalus before he had done much. 50% of the time the player would quit at that point. A simple Flash Freeze, Deep Freeze, and then two Punch's kill Anomalus before he can do much (due to the stun).

If the player was smart they would switch Anomalus out. I would then switch out Whomper waiting form them to bring Anomalus back in.

I did 665 battles with that team, 440 wins (66.2%), 215 loses (32.3%), and 10 draws (1.5%). I'm sure there are better teams, but since I made this one I decided to stick with it. Double Sand Storm teams, and all Flying Teams were a pain, but it was competitive against most other teams.

My win % is also a bit lower because many times I forfeited a battle out of pity when I kept getting matched against the same team that I had just slaughtered several times in a row (probably someone trying to finish their 5 win quest) or when I could tell it was someone going for their Family Brawler achievement.

Sunderezz
Top Rater

Post by Sunderezz » April 21st, 2021, 6:59 pm

Those were some impressive stats. The idea of using one team on the long trail to 1000 wins is something I never considered and much appreciate your approach. What I really love is this . . .
Hawg wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:01 am
I forfeited a battle out of pity when I kept getting matched against the same team that I had just slaughtered several times in a row (probably someone trying to finish their 5 win quest) or when I could tell it was someone going for their Family Brawler achievement.
Just wish there was a way to welcome and encourage those interested in the battle pets side of WOW. When I encounter someone who is obviously new, bearing in mind I am "still wet behind the ears" myself :) , I enjoy using the opportunity to play with pets that never get any use. As I experiment, the player I am guessing is new gains experience and usually a few wins, I have fun and gain more experience . . . a total win-win in my book.

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952

Post by Hawg » April 22nd, 2021, 10:09 am

Yeah I really wish there was a way to use more of my pets. What I would like is some sort of random match-making. When you get matched it picks three pets that you both have and then gives each of you a few minutes to pick the abilities for each pet, and then you fight each-other.

I think that would help with the dreadful flavor of the month OP meta we are stuck with at the moment.

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » April 22nd, 2021, 1:41 pm

Hawg wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 10:09 am
Yeah I really wish there was a way to use more of my pets. What I would like is some sort of random match-making. When you get matched it picks three pets that you both have and then gives each of you a few minutes to pick the abilities for each pet, and then you fight each-other.

I think that would help with the dreadful flavor of the month OP meta we are stuck with at the moment.
I think this is an amazing idea, I would LOVE random pet matchmaking!!!

Sunderezz
Top Rater

Post by Sunderezz » April 22nd, 2021, 4:04 pm

Index wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 1:41 pm
I think this is an amazing idea, I would LOVE random pet matchmaking!!!
Is there a way to actually make this happen? From reading this forum and other battle pet related news on the web, it seems that WOW developers at least somewhat lend an ear to community suggestions. I am thinking of the periodic nerfing of drastically OP pets.

Starting a new thread as this has wandered in a very interesting direction, but away from "anomalus must be stopped" :o