Lost all my Rematch info

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12995
Realm:Aggramar-us
Lost all my Rematch info

Post by Harpooha » March 25th, 2020, 6:11 am

Had one of those minor disasters happen. Basically I kicked the electric cord out of the socket while playing. It wiped everything from Rematch in the process.

I thought I had backed things up. But when I started reading the tooltip, it merely copies the info and you have to paste it somewhere and save it yourself. Very sad since I had PvP teams, PVE trainer teams, Family battle teams and various others saved.

But in the spirit of making the best out of a bad situation, I actually find it invigorating. I was doing a trainer battle and realized that I had the right pets, but the wrong moves. I was actually able to pull it off anyway. Kind of fun to meet the challenge.

Anyway, remember to back up and SAVE your stuff. Thought I was bulletproof. Lesson learned.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Lost all my Rematch info

Post by Jerebear » March 25th, 2020, 8:16 pm

I find it easier to manually backup and I just occasionally make a copy of rematch.lua in WTF/Account/<account_name>/SavedVariables and I save it to a folder soemwhere.

Alternately if you just experienced a loss of teams, if before logging off again you go to that folder, there is often a backup file for it in the directory you can try, but you need to copy it before logging out. Then you can copy it back and try it out and see how recent the backup is. Once you log off, all bets are off though.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » March 27th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Hi,

Strange ... although I have never used REMATCH, it had been for a long time one of my concerns about losing information, and I think it was my old roomie (high level security code expert) that suggested that the bad side of a lot of software was the fact that they never were very good about saving anything ... after all ... (he said!) many high level geeks love to say that most folks are stupid ... and don't know how to save/do anything!

(I got him back too!!!! Played a piece of music until he promised to behave .... and finally told him who it was ... mean old mustard, I am!!!)

In general, my backups are a second machine on the network, and several folders are copied over ... and then if I want more, I just rip a CD of it.

One last item ... I only allow ALL MY PROGRAMS to save ANYTHING in one folder/area ... I don't want to be looking for information from 32 different programs from here to Timbuktoomuchcrap .... but this is a problem with an ADDON that only saves its own files ... I have requested that Rematch, and a couple of others allow you to select a folder for saving things, but in the end ... the response is usually ... the same ... NOTHING!

PS: Due to my bad eye sight (at 69 what do you expect? Flowers? Good luck!) ... I have on my desktop a notepad file with a slight list of the major pet battle dailies ... and while flying there I bring them up ... there are other options, and sometimes I use them but for this example here I did not post alternatives ... perfect example is Ashlii and Squirt ... at least 10 viable options each!

Examples:
Defeat Burly
Benax 2-2-1
any Frog with Swarm of Flies and Tongue Lash
================
Defeat Captain Hermes
Ikky 2-1-1
Foulfeather 2-2-1
Any flying to finish
===============
Defeat Chitara
All Moth Balls
Fungal, Grey, and Silky Moths (Fastest)

And some fights are easy ... you search for Bonestorm, and there is your trio ... or another you search for Fish Slap and there is your trio ... and so forth ... and BTW, it does help if you have 600/700 different (no dupes) pets, because by that time you have a sizable majority of the pets needed and used.

Barbarakozio
Realm:Coilfang-us

Post by Barbarakozio » February 11th, 2022, 2:08 pm

To export Rematch, you can right click a team and select 'Share' and then 'Export Team'.

Barbarakozio
Realm:Coilfang-us

Post by Barbarakozio » February 16th, 2022, 7:15 pm

If you don't regularly backup your Saved Variables and want an easy way to backup your teams, right-click a team tab and Export Tab. It will export the whole tab in string format. Paste this text in an email to yourself or in a text file someplace to keep a backup of your teams. This will save you from losing.

Skyhoof
Pet Score:11926
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Skyhoof » March 20th, 2022, 10:34 am

I also lost all my Rematch info today. No crash or power outage. Just logged in and when I went to battle, no saved teams. When I checked, all my teams were gone. I had a really old copy of my saved variable so I was able to restore some of what I lost but it's very strange.

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12995
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » March 22nd, 2022, 2:02 pm

Funny that this crops up again 2 years down the road.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to reset everything because I couldn't log into the game. Still not sure what happened. I suspect it was a server issue on Blizzard's end, but they will never admit to everything. I am starting from scratch on everything from add-ons to the UI. It's a pain, but it makes you appreciate the QOL that add-ons bring. Blizzard would do well to incorporate some of what add-ons do to their basic UI. Playing with their UI is so clunky.

The good thing is that it gives me a chance to clear out some clutter. It also gives me a reason to look around for better teams to do WQ with. One of the traps I fall into is doing the same thing over and over. One of the reasons I play the game is the challenge of dealing with new situations. I'll never download scripts for pet battles because that takes the human error out of the game. And I'm a firm believer of learning from mistakes.