Most Efficient Leveling Route

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Happeria
Pet Score:8742
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Most Efficient Leveling Route

Post by Happeria » November 9th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Pet battles have come a long way since MoP when I would make the rounds through trainers there for pet xp. With the pet xp bonus this week I *really* want to work on leveling my pets but I'm not sure what the best way is. I like that the Pandaria tamers have bags with potentially good level/rarity items but I recognize it's probably not the most efficient way of doing it. I hopped in to fight Julia Stevens and there was hardly any experience for that battle, presumably because of the level. Before I waste what little time I have left to the event I thought I'd ask here for suggestions! What is your best leveling method?

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Re: Most Efficient Leveling Route

Post by Gilneas » November 9th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Two Pandaria tamers gets any pet 1 -> 25 with a Safari Hat. In terms of leveling a pet in as few battles as possible, doing all 11 Pandaria tamers is a very good option. I do that, Draenor's 6 tamers, Crysa and whatever tamers are up for Legion (there is always at least one due to the Broken Shore) and BFA world quests. Gets me about 10 pets leveled from scratch per day.

Whoppadoo
Pet Score:12204
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Whoppadoo » November 9th, 2018, 6:13 pm

isn't Squirt supposed to be up tomorrow, Nov. 10, on US realms?...that is another way to level pets and low level toons

Happeria
Pet Score:8742
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Happeria » November 10th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Gilneas wrote:Two Pandaria tamers gets any pet 1 -> 25 with a Safari Hat. In terms of leveling a pet in as few battles as possible, doing all 11 Pandaria tamers is a very good option. I do that, Draenor's 6 tamers, Crysa and whatever tamers are up for Legion (there is always at least one due to the Broken Shore) and BFA world quests. Gets me about 10 pets leveled from scratch per day.
Perfect, thank you!
Whoppadoo wrote:isn't Squirt supposed to be up tomorrow, Nov. 10, on US realms?...that is another way to level pets and low level toons
Yes, she is, and I'm working on her now. I have 300 pets to level :P

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 11th, 2018, 2:07 pm

It's also worth noting that Sir Galveston is repeatable (or was a couple of months ago, haven't checked recently), so when he is up in Dal you can use him. Additionally, during pet battle week, Beasts of Burden (Stormheim WQ) is really good. It's extremely fast (5-6 rounds) and repeatable as long as you only do one of the brothers. The EXP is less than a tamer, but during pet battle week it is more than a non pet battle week tamer would be, so a nice quick alternative.

As far as MoP/WoD route, I do an optimized route on my alliance toon:

Start in Gorgrond
Cymre->Gargra->Tarr
Hearth to Shrine in Pandaria
Aki -> Nishi -> Mo'ruk -> Flowing Pandaren Spirit -> Shu -> Yon -> Flaming Pandaren Spirit -> Zushi
Hearth to Garrison
Ashlei -> Vesharr -> Taralune
Hearth to Shrine in Pandaria
Thundering Pandaren Spirit -> Whispering Pandaren Spirit -> Hyuna
Whatever hearth / teleport that takes me near some other tamer
1 last tamer of my choice

That normally gets me 18 tamers in under an hour (duration of pet exp buffs on non pet battle weeks) with the right teams

For horde I would probably do something similar, but would have to break up the WoD ones differently.
EDIT: untested but maybe make the first leg just
Gargra -> Cymre
and the third leg
Tarr => Taralune => Vesharr -> Ashley
Would have to test to see if it still fits in time.
Other legs would be the same.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » January 31st, 2019, 2:05 am

Back in previous expansions (started in MoP) when I was still gathering up my collection, I would do all the satchel trainers, Beasts of Fable and MoP tamers.

Shrine of Seven Stars into jade forest, into kunlai, into townlong, into vale, into dread, into krasarang, into valley, finish off with teleportation/HS/portal roulette juggle to Uldum portal+Hyjal (winterspring) portal, fly Karazhan, Argent tournament tabard, Shattrath-Fly outland. The last 5 i can really not remember the order, but I had to use my HS twice I remember and it would come off CD, perhaps 1min wait to lineup. The last 5 didnt have same XP as MoP Tamers, nor did i carry on beasts of fable, so those 5 tamers would be used on lvl1 pets to bring to lvl 8-9, prepped for the next day against backline damage. If DMF was up, that would be done afterwards and treated like MoP Tamer XP. These 8-9 prep would rotate in on MoP tamers to get bump to 13? -> 17/18? -> 22/23 if i remember correctly. Because XP is hit with diminishing returns you would want the lower-XP giving tamers to bump as many levels as possible. Also you wouldn't want to take your level 22,93XP pets for another tamer, it wasn't effecient. Instead I let them stack in journal until I had a good handful, then take Raptor x2 and cap them manually against critters in Valley.

Satchels back then gave shitloads of blue upgrade stones and there was strong stone-upgrade trading on this site. Beast, flyver, critter was in demand naturally. This was before WoD, so you got ur safari hat and your 3x 25% xp sausages, of which you would consume 2 a day. One for the main mop-route which could be done (incl. BoF) in 55min as alliance, might have touched 50-52min once. The next sausage for remaining 25min of old world 5 tamers and DMF if up. One sausage to stack in inventory. BoF was done as it was on the route anyway and quickly with bomb-team, satchel for sausages, stones, pets->money.

With WoD release, more "MoP level XP tamers" was introduced, 6 to be exact with Ashlei being easiest and giving tad higher XP. I found Vesharr+Cymre the hardest, and with 30-35min on 2nd sausage, I decided to remove them and take the 4 others. As alliance, Garrison HS to Ashlei, fly west to Taralune, BMAH check+Tarr, finish FFR at Gargra. 2hours of all MoP tamers (normal+spirits+Beasts), 5 old world tamers, and 4x WoD.

Every day. It ran like clockwork, some days you would experience shit RNG against you, but there was enough lee-way for 2 sausages to hold the time. Back then hit accuracy % wasn't normalized, so your 95% Moth Dust, and Pump might not hit etc. Bandages you would use only a few throughout, I had my teams sorted in a way, that if I needed my pet again later, a heal button click would be inbetween. Not to waste bandages, but let those stack as well -> send to alt. And they didn't stack as high as they do today ;) Nightmare on alt, took a lot of space :D

As collection grew, they secretly nerfed the blue stones droprate, no more wild pets to capture, all breeds captured that I wanted (as rare to save on stones), the BoF was taken out of rotation. Later the 5 old world tamers as well. Then they announced Weekly XP week thing in WoD or Legion - can't remember and it basically made anything previously obsolete to a degree.

With XP pet week, you could now just with 2x MoP/WoD/DMF tamers bump your pet from level 1 to 17-18-19-i dont know, and then cap straight to 25 with second tamer. Sausages no longer needed to be used as well, wouldn't make a difference anyway and you would just waste them. Safari Hat still on as its free and looks good 8) (kidding). I could incorporate Veshhar+Cymre now, but tbh, I've been too lazy, so I don't. There is no rush as theres no foodbuff ticking, so you can slow down the pace, alt-tab, YouTube inbetween whatever it is people do. I only ever level my pets during XP week now, I have never touched Squirt, Galveston or w/e they are called, never looked into it. My needed, having already built a large collection and "being up to date" with future pet-releases didn't need repeat-XP methods. I mark my level 1s as favorite in my journal, so they get on top, and then I just slot them into carry-slot during XP week doing the Lite-version of old route which now takes less time covering both MoP+WoD. When they hit 25, remove favorite tag, and into collection they go to collect dust.

For every XP week you get 7 days to do 11+6 = 17 tamers every day, +2 on DMF overlap (I do 11+4 cause lazy). That is nearly 60 pets every event you bring from 1 to 25, being blue pets ready to go, with a Hat on. That is plenty fine if you're collection is up to date or up there in numbers. Minimum effort, maximum reward is what we try to achieve. What about backline damage, now that we use level 1 pets? Easy enough, like I wrote earlier, I start with Hyuna in Jade Forest which gives several tamers without backline damage, so for those tamers that does have backline damage, you simply slot in one of those level 17-19 pets (still cant remember exact level they land on) instead of a 1, there is plenty to go around.

If you want to optimize further, try and find strategies that are fast (less rounds needed), using variety of pets (not same again and again -> requires heal too often) and is prone to withstand a bit of RNG against you (crit against you). Restarting a fight is the biggest culprit in doing this fast. Whenever I saw odds against me, I would forfeit right away, no point in wasting time, bandage, go again, I was "on the clock" with sausage buffs back then. Never used the +50% food, couldn't incorporate it consistently in my method, so didn't bother.

Lil XT store pet was used for 2 for two tamers with similar setup (Moruk+Hyuna) having bird+beast+aquatic. Heartbroken tantrum would take total health away = two pets before dying itself which was great value. My setup was always: pet1, switch/re-switch carry, into pet2. Simply because of consistency in remembering all the strategies in your head. When first pet died, you knew automatically to switcheroo the carry into 2nd pet who would finish off the fight. Another fun thing was TCG Puffer Fish able to do some damage on Zusshi but after hit%-accuracy patch would leave the first pet at consistent 1hp - what a bummer, so had to change strategy.

TLDR: MoP+WoD+DMF tamers during XP week.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » February 5th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Hi,

Hard to say, now that I am over 900 pets, what I did for leveling everything! ;)

I think I had about 400 pets and only 100 of them were top'd off, when I started taking these things more seriously, and I learned how to do the fights that gave you the Warlords quest once per week, until the following week I found out that Bliz had a bug on their code. I have Horde on the same server with my Alliance characters, and ... wow ... that Warlords quest was also showing up on the "other side". I posted that here as a joke, and I think everyone thought I was being stupid! The Lord Blizz giveth and we taketh! (It's still messed up and I think the "account" thing when they changed it, was bungled up some since some stuff is still happening!)

I found via Wowhead and other sites that you could do Squirt more than once ... and boom, I looked for information and it brought me here to this site where I have been since. On the first time with Squirt, it was a bit difficult trying to get the right pets, and then I had the incorrect Worg Pup and had to go find me the right one. Done. Got the fight down, and the next time, I did her about 20 to 25 times, bringing up the pets needed to do the something or other (it wasn't the Celestial Tournament 0 ... and that list hurt because I had too many wrong breeds ... and I had to dump some pets and go get the right ones.

At that time I started use Pet Battle and the Breed ID thing, and that showed all the pets I needed on each zone, and that was what I went after at that point, knowing that my list would clear up anyway. And it brought me up to about 700 or so pets. And then I started on the WQ's thing with the early charms and then the PC's (now).

For a couple of months, Squirt was very important as in one day, I plunked down almost 1000 levels ... and started going from the bottom up on my listings ... after that day I did not have any pets under 11 at all. And that made it easier to save the charms ... I rarely, used them on low levels ... except now over 900 pets, it's not worth the hassle to go do Squirt or Ashlei that much, but getting that weekly off the Garrison is a must for the 10 stones. And now and then the extra fight that also gives you 3 stones.

Best of luck ... a lot of it depends on your play and how good you are at getting around, since the most important thing is to make sure you have all the Flight Paths so you can get there, faster.

Lastly ... like it or not, you will have to bring up a Horde, or Alliance character ... as there are some pets that you can only get in that area. For example, if you are Alliance, you have to make a Horde character so you can get the pets in Orgrimmar and Undercity ... and the same goes for the converse situation with Stormwind and the Dwarf area. That's assuming that you are going after the higher numbers of pets ... like some of us insane folks with over 900 pets and even those over 1000 pets already!