Server First - Family Brawler

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Stark
Top Rater
Pet Score:7569
BattleTag®:Eve#1598
Realm:Illidan-us
Server First - Family Brawler

Post by Stark » January 17th, 2018, 10:10 am

Woot. Got my sexy tabby
https://i.imgur.com/W6UeVFW.jpg
Along with the achievement a little earlier this morning (hasn't updated)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/illidan/êvë/achievements/pet-battles/battle

I plan on making a guide (rough draft/work in progress can be viewed here: http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=12290/family-brawler#comments:id=2546262 )

I'd like to thank Blizzard for including this achievement. I've been begging for this on the WoW Pet Battle Forums and WarcraftPet forums for years https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16768&p=133801&sid=0810ed182579d9978715c20dd9bf300d#p133767
I have always thought that achievements like this could stir up the monotony of the meta and hope to see many try for this. Most fun I've had in a while PvP Pet wise!

I'm going to sleep now. G'night peeps!
-Eve

Edit: Finished the guide
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=5828/family-brawler-achievement-guide
Last edited by Stark on April 15th, 2018, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Server First - Family Brawler

Post by Gráinne » January 17th, 2018, 11:02 am

Big Congratulations! :D

That's probably World First, too.

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » January 17th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Gráinne wrote:Big Congratulations! :D

That's probably World First, too.
Thanks :P I couldn't say for sure, but I didn't see anyone trying for it (no 3 family teams) until I was over half way through. Had to trudge through quite a few meta teams.
Biscuit wrote:I’m not a fan of this achievement going live the same time as pet week.
Makes the “accomplishment” far too easy IMO.
It certainly helped me get some free wins(I'd estimate 5% approx), but "easy" is not a term I'd use to describe it, especially when you have to use beast and critter only teams (and no, you can't cheese it with rabbits, because one teroclaw, heal comp or anything with damage mitigation shell shield for example, destroys you.)

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » January 17th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Biscuit wrote:I’m not a fan of this achievement going live the same time as pet week.
At least during pet week it lessens the large amount of rng in grinding the wins.

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » January 17th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Rosqo wrote:
At least during pet week it lessens the large amount of rng in grinding the wins.
and I got 20 ultimate training stones for doing 5 wins turning in the weekly, logging on an alt account, rinse and repeat.

I think the best time to do this achieve is by Saturday. By then you'll get the inexperienced players wrapping things up and more players trying to get this tabard.

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » January 18th, 2018, 2:47 am

If you’re doing this even against one other person trying for it there’s a big element of Rock Paper Scissors on match ups unfortunately. It’s actually a little more frustrating than I predicted as you can queue up into instant flees.

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » January 18th, 2018, 5:17 am

Rosqo wrote:If you’re doing this even against one other person trying for it there’s a big element of Rock Paper Scissors on match ups unfortunately. It’s actually a little more frustrating than I predicted as you can queue up into instant flees.
yes this was super annoying for the last few families as there were very few on at like 4am. I was trying to get through flying and kept getting a magic user so I decided to change and knock off the dragonkin family instead ;) ;)

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » January 18th, 2018, 9:24 am

I think its nice they've waited for pet week. Some of these families would definetly be undoable if i que'd up into anything i'd see normally. undead, flier, mech were no issue, but some of the others definetly rely on good match-ups sometimes.

I hope it remains this way, though. I'd like to see some diverse teams next week too!

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » January 19th, 2018, 9:32 am

Nagini wrote:I think its nice they've waited for pet week. Some of these families would definetly be undoable if i que'd up into anything i'd see normally. undead, flier, mech were no issue, but some of the others definetly rely on good match-ups sometimes.

I hope it remains this way, though. I'd like to see some diverse teams next week too!
for sure. I did get a bunch of meta teams but still managed to win because they didn't play well. And ironically I think it's also because I was running strange comps and pets newer players aren't used to!

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12995
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » January 21st, 2018, 2:40 am

Finally got mine tonight. Ran into a lot more family brawler teams the last couple days than I did the first 2 days. It was an odd mix of the Usual Suspects and oddball teams. A few glorious wins and some embarrassing defeats. All in all, it was fun.

Surprise MVP - Brightpaw. Prowl + Arcane Dash = Instant death. I have to admit someone in the queue taught that lesson the hard way. But it helped my magic team immensely.

Disappointing family - Dragons. I never really felt I had a solid team throughout. I was always mixing and matching teams and felt lucky to complete it.

Feels Bad moment - I ran into someone trying to field a Critter team. They had a decent comp, just weren't really executing well. After beating them 3-4 times, I queued up with my own Critter team to show them that the Frostfur Rat should go first to throw up the shield. It was obvious they learned since that's what they did the next time I faced them.

There is so much content that is trivial. We either go to some website or the forums for a guide and follow instructions. This was fun for me because there's no way you can script this and no guide really works. Nice to actually PLAY the game for once rather than go through someone else's motions.

Ajababee
Top Rater
Pet Score:9297
Realm:Hyjal-eu

Post by Ajababee » January 21st, 2018, 6:46 pm

Got mine 2 days ago.
Some families very easy : Humans 10 wins /0 losts . Undead 10/2 . Meca 10/3
Some not very hard : Magic 10/5 . Aquatic 10/6 . Critters 10/8 . Drakes 10/8 . Elems 10/5 .
And the hardest for me : Beasts 10/18 and Flying 10/11

Anyway, fun time ! Need more (and better rewards).

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 7th, 2018, 9:10 am

yep that was a mistake I think so, too. but on the upside I have my tabard so who am I to complain :lol:

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » April 3rd, 2018, 4:05 pm

I completed a guide on the achievement if anyone's interested. It's complete, but doesn't have links to the pets, something I plan to do in the future.

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=5828/family-brawler-achievement-guide

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » April 9th, 2018, 11:44 am

Not to throw shade on the accomplishment, as I know how it feels to finish this, but how could you know you are the server first?

I see posts like this frequently (claiming server first, region first, etc) and honestly would like to know how this data is derived?

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » April 9th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Badpathing wrote:Not to throw shade on the accomplishment, as I know how it feels to finish this, but how could you know you are the server first?

I see posts like this frequently (claiming server first, region first, etc) and honestly would like to know how this data is derived?
You actually get an achievement for getting some things first on your server this is how people know. Whether this achievement rewards a server first I don’t know.

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » April 12th, 2018, 10:29 am

Badpathing wrote:Not to throw shade on the accomplishment, as I know how it feels to finish this, but how could you know you are the server first?

I went in with pre-made teams and grinded this start to finish with better than expected success the second it went live. I had already completed over 50% of the achievement requirement (and I started with the more difficult teams) before I saw people begin using three pets of the same family (which were undeads). I feel I could be potentially be in the running for world first US (but EU got the update first right?).

To answer your question, I'm not certain nor are any others unless they have a world first achievement. I'm just incredibly confident I secured at least the server first, but will retract my claim if anyone from Illidan-US can provide a link with the achievement from the same first day. But yes, I can't say with certainty.
Biscuit wrote:Nice guide, Eve!

The only thing that I don’t agree with is recommending players to immediately forfeit if they get a Beast vs Mech match-up (for example). Those encounters aren’t always in your opponent’s favor and can certainly be overcome.
Other than that, good stuff. I hope people find it useful.
Thanks! I hope so as well.

It's a fair argument. I just feel you're fighting a losing battle and some rock vs paper match ups are worse than others (if you're going up against an Elemental Team with mechs you're getting creamed 9 times out of ten for example) and even though you can overcome, it's more time efficient to take the loss and find a new opponent that's more plausible to overcome.
Last edited by Stark on April 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » April 12th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Oh Stark I totally forgot after replying to that world first guy there’s a couple of things that need tweaking stuff like recommending an s/s scalded basilisk that should probably be altered.

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » April 15th, 2018, 11:34 am

Rosqo wrote:Oh Stark I totally forgot after replying to that world first guy there’s a couple of things that need tweaking stuff like recommending an s/s scalded basilisk that should probably be altered.
Ah my mistake. I meant H/S. I made the update and gave ya credit in the changelog. Thanks for your input!