Good Spots to Farm Battle-Stones?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Good Spots to Farm Battle-Stones?

Post by Quintessence » December 17th, 2012, 10:27 pm

I'm looking for some ideas on where to farm for family-specific battle-stones. Preferably spots with a high density of pets (of a specific family) that are high level.

So what are your favorite spots to farm for family-specific stones?

For magic stones I tend to battle the Twilight Fiendling in Twilight Highlands, and for flying stones I prefer the Dragonbone Hatchling in Dragonblight.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Good Spots to Farm Battle-Stones?

Post by Bistromath » December 17th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Pet Sacks lol 19 so far from sacks

1 Critter Stones from Marsh Fiddlers
1 Aqua Stone from Something in Vale (dont remember what)
1 Beast Stone from Jungle Grub

Still no Flawless Battle Stones (sad face)

Highheals
Pet Score:2572
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Highheals » December 18th, 2012, 12:06 am

Edema wrote:
Critter Stones from Marsh Fiddlers
Aqua Stone from Something in Vale (dont remember what)
Beast Stone from Jungle Grub
To add from this quote:
Dragonkin stones from water wavelings in Zul Drak (must be bugged or something but they do drop dragonkin stones!)
Flying Stones from Dragonbone Hatchling in Dragonblight
Magic Stones from oily Slimelings in Borean Tundra

And flawless battle stones seem to just be RNG since i got one from the water wavelings and one from the Dragonbane Hatchlings.

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » December 18th, 2012, 1:02 am

I have been roaming around fighting Arcane Eyes. Limited spawns, but quick fight since they dont bring friends, and also, I have gotten two all-round stones from them. However, no magic stone..
The elementals in deepholm also dropped dragon stone for me, not elemental stone.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » December 18th, 2012, 7:19 am

Highheals wrote:Magic Stones from oily Slimelings in Borean Tundra
What's the respawn rate like for the Oily Slimelings?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Ceathra
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Ceathra » December 18th, 2012, 10:29 am

I've gotten 2 Humanoid stones from the Sporelings in Zangarmarsh, but I'm not sure if that's because it's a great place to farm them or because I've gotten lucky leveling some undead pets on them...

Restofarian
Top Rater
Pet Score:4064
BattleTag®:Restofarian#1262
Realm:Azralon-us

Post by Restofarian » December 18th, 2012, 11:50 am

I can confirm the Eyes are a nice source of magic stones. got 2 already.

Regarding another spots, can anyone else confirm the feeling I have that most times I get a stone is when I capture one of the pets?? Or is just me being crazy about my bad luck with other stones than the ones I got from the Eyes?

Cheers

Roarey
MVP
Pet Score:12979
BattleTag®:Roarey#1820
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Roarey » December 18th, 2012, 12:16 pm

I have gotten 2 Dragonkin stones from the Wild Serpent Hatchlings. Battled about 40 for the 2 stones, though force logged when one was a rare so as not to steal them from other collectors. Nice place to level your lower babies while you hunt for them too :) :mrgreen:

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 18th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Can winning a pvp pet battle grant you a battle stone?

I dont think so, but I'd like the answer to be yes...

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » December 18th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Roarey wrote:I have gotten 2 Dragonkin stones from the Wild Serpent Hatchlings. Battled about 40 for the 2 stones, though force logged when one was a rare so as not to steal them from other collectors. Nice place to level your lower babies while you hunt for them too :) :mrgreen:
I was going to try my luck with these, but there are rarely any up to battle these days on my server. Or I'm always check at the wrong time. >_< Otherwise, I think it would be a pretty nice spot to grind levels and farm for Dragon stones.

Any suggestions for spots to farm for Undead stones other than the Restless Shadeling spawns?

Tankready
Realm:Pozzo dell'Eternità-eu

Post by Tankready » December 21st, 2012, 10:38 am

for as much as I'm concerned, I got a flawless one during a random battle (didn't take notice of what the enemy pet was), and an acquatic one against a strider in Blossom Vale. The 2 mechanic and the other acquatic one from sacks.

Jetstream
Pet Score:2508
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Jetstream » December 21st, 2012, 2:46 pm

Quintessence wrote:
Roarey wrote:I have gotten 2 Dragonkin stones from the Wild Serpent Hatchlings. Battled about 40 for the 2 stones, though force logged when one was a rare so as not to steal them from other collectors. Nice place to level your lower babies while you hunt for them too :) :mrgreen:
I was going to try my luck with these, but there are rarely any up to battle these days on my server. Or I'm always check at the wrong time. >_< Otherwise, I think it would be a pretty nice spot to grind levels and farm for Dragon stones.

Any suggestions for spots to farm for Undead stones other than the Restless Shadeling spawns?
You could farm the Spirit Crabs in Ghostlands. They're low level so the droprate will be crap, but they are SUPER prolific.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » December 22nd, 2012, 2:47 am

Zaelo wrote:Can winning a pvp pet battle grant you a battle stone?

I dont think so, but I'd like the answer to be yes...
patch notes confirm this is coming in 5.2. I expect it will only be 'matched' pvp rather than duels.

Mawder
Pet Score:2555

Post by Mawder » December 23rd, 2012, 5:51 am

This is something I hope Wowhead will start logging. I also hope they start logging caged pets auction house "Buyout Price".

Jetstream
Pet Score:2508
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Jetstream » December 23rd, 2012, 12:01 pm

Mawder wrote:This is something I hope Wowhead will start logging. I also hope they start logging caged pets auction house "Buyout Price".
Even Undermine Journal doesn't log caged pets. I think there might be a technical issue with that, for some odd reason.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 23rd, 2012, 5:33 pm

Jetstream wrote:Even Undermine Journal doesn't log caged pets. I think there might be a technical issue with that, for some odd reason.
There's no API information for the caged pets. You can't even search for them on the Mobile Auction House. I can't even see them in my alt's bank using Altoholic. Apparently they're working on it though.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » December 24th, 2012, 6:47 am

Ive used the spot right outside Shrine of two moons / seven stars to level up pets, and while doing that ive gotten a few Aquatic Battle stones, most of the pets there is Aquatic, and you can swap level up pets easy at the same time if you have a good flying pet close to max level.

Arvelayne
Pet Score:3784
Realm:Frostwhisper-eu

Post by Arvelayne » December 24th, 2012, 7:06 am

I've found that Kun Lai Summit is really good for beasts and critters, and is a breeze with a couple of Mechs for levelling.

Also I found that a rare Emperor Crab is brilliant for farming aquatics in the Half Hill area. Whirlpool, HoT, slap, bang, next...

I do hope that Blizz start to add more high level spawns of some families though (Higher level Lofty Librams in Dalaran for example). It's so unbalanced it's unbelievable.

Arve,
bottom heavy alt.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 24th, 2012, 11:45 am

Finally got exalted with the Order of the Cloud Serpent last night, thinking I'd be able to farm some dragonkin stones from the wild dragonlings, but they are kinda rare too...

Beside critters, beasts, aquatics and flyings.. I hardly see any way to farm battle stones efficiently :?

I tried getting a mechanical one from the tiny harvesters in westfall, I know they're low level but hey, at least these spawn decently.. I defeated god knows how many in 3 hours and haven't seen a single one drop...

/givesup

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 24th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I'm having bad luck too.

Tinfoil hat time:

Every so often I get kicked out of a pet battle, and you can call me paranoid, but I'm beginning to wonder if the issues are related. I've been fighting Oily Slimelings: once in 20-40 battles, I will land the killing blow on the 3rd pet, and then the pet battle will abruptly end. My pets don't line up in the middle like they usually do, and they don't get experience--I just get sent to the regular UI. Normally I would just shrug it off, as pet battles are not exactly bug-free. However, it's kicking me out of the battle at exactly the time that I would receive a stone, if I was going to receive one. So, maybe this is a case of frustration+coincidence=conspiracy. But I'm curious if anybody else is getting kicked out of fights like this, and whether anybody notices it happening with particular wild pets.