Best pets of 7.3

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shandu
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Saurfang-eu
Re: Best pets of 7.3

Post by Shandu » December 14th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Rosqo wrote:A few weird statements on here.

Don’t beat up on Closetozero because he defeated a triple bs team. Ofc they would play badly anyone who plays triple bs is a new or bad player who can’t win any other way. Ofc the best way to beat an aoe team is to burst it down but if your team lacks burst your probably going to lose.
Who beat on him? You even just confirmed that the other played badly and that is why they lost...which is exactly what I said.

It's kind of odd that you tell me to 'stop beating up on x' and then proceed to beat up on people who run with BS lol hypocritical but there we are. If the highest win rate team is going to be 3xBS, then that is clearly the best way to get to 1000/5000 pvp battle wins or just get a high winrate overall if that is your 'thing', it's like having a go at a sports team for buying all the worlds best players and calling it unfair - it makes no sense. People like to have a go about 3xBS but will still run with one on their team, and run with other overpowered pets like imp and teroclaw, but I guess running with one on the team makes them feel better about themselves for using an unfair pet? If you really cared about it you wouldn't include such OP pets in your teams at all? There's no need for you all to get so defensive though, it's only pet battles xD

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » December 14th, 2017, 2:37 pm

You lost my interest at Teroclaw is a sweeper pet Shandu.

Drlambda
Pet Score:5543
Realm:Arthas-eu

Post by Drlambda » December 14th, 2017, 3:42 pm

First of all, in case you haven't seen it - i am closetozero. (You can stop the dramatic music now.)

I have the feeling that the discussion about your sentence is leading to nowhere. Of course one pet alone will very rarely beat a full team of pets - if that's your argument, there are no strong pets in the game. Also defining synergy as "all three pets are planning to kill your opponents team" doesn't leave any room for discussion, because that's true for every team that isn't triple Elekk Plushie. It's not synergy, it's playing the game, and there's a difference between synergy, which is abilities working together, like Immolation and flat damage buffs and brawlers (for the lack of a better word) which is using individually strong pets or pets that give strong racial coverage.

Just because a team only uses individually strong pets doesn't mean it necessarily uses abilities that don't work together. But just because my team isn't using Sandstorm + Flurry, it doesn't mean that my team is a synergy team.

Now, lets talk about the Teroclaw / Pyreclaw comparison. As you correctly said, Pyreclaw isn't a Teroclaw - and you can believe me when i say that i'm really happy about that, as Teroclaw, like Bone Serpent, is still very widely regarded as a tier 0 or overpowered pet that appears on pretty much every list of pets players want to see nerfed. There's a huge difference between overpowered pets and good, very viable pets like Pyreclaw. The 7.3 pet that gets the closest to BS/Teroclaw/Wicked Soul/Blossoming Ancient level is Twilight Clutch-Sister.

Pyreclaw is a pet you want to open with, which obviously doesn't automatically fit into a team of two that already has an opener pet. I'd still argue that this is only synergy in the widest sense of the word rather than anything that brings the discussion forward.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Glenwood
Pet Score:8395
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Glenwood » December 14th, 2017, 3:54 pm

I am going to offer my opinion regarding the Twilight Clutch Sister (TCS):

It's completely overpowered. Twilight Meteorite hits for 772 damage on a 5 Round cooldown. A similar ability, Avalanche, hits for 509. This on on the Alterac Brew Pup, a pet with exact same stats as the TCS. Now that it has been around for a while, I am literally seeing it daily in my Meta.

The teams it is used on are so strong atm that you need to run very specific counters to beat. For example, the S/S Wicked Soul, P/S TCS and S/S Bone Serpent (often switched out with a Teroclaw Hatchling).

This team of Tier 0 is wrecking all the fun I had pet battling. I think some nerfs are in order to bring some competitiveness or creativity back in the game and it should begin with Twilight Meteorite. My opinion of this is along the lines of Graves back in WoD. Heck, I'd be lying if I said I didn't use the TCS or Graves, but if I can avoid them to bring some fun into the queue, I will.

Edit: Grammar

Glenwood

Post by Glenwood » December 15th, 2017, 4:12 am

Biscuit wrote: I say lower the damage to a 1/3 of its current value, but add a two-round burn effect on their entire party.
Basically making it a burn version of Great Sting.
Could make for some interesting synergy not being able to avoid big Conflags.
How's it going brother?!

I am a huge fan of Great Sting and Poison Protocol because they are good against the Teroclaw Hatchling and Imp/Immolation backline healing. Because those are so prevalent right now, maybe another ability like this would help mix up the meta. TCS would be used just as much with more AoE teams and less burst, but there are better counters (Sandstorm) then just Darkness teams with the Bone Serpent.

Funny thing, I really thought the Blazehound would be the strongest pet from 7.3 with a fast breed and Magma Trap. I know confirmation bias is part of this, but it sure feels like traps have been tuned since the patch. Whereas most of my traps would go off within 4 rounds, now they are springing typically after 5.

Because of this, the Blazehound has been relegated to my trolly trap teams that I play when frustrated with the meta and it's endless supply of Wicked Soul, Teroclaw, Imp, TCS and Bone Serpent.

Drlambda
Pet Score:5543
Realm:Arthas-eu

Post by Drlambda » December 15th, 2017, 5:04 am

About the Blazehound - yeah, my hopes also were pretty high for that one, but it just doesn't deal enough damage for the trap to be punishing. If you suddenly only do damage worth half a basic move with the trap and your basic attack hits for less than usual, they become a lot worse. Also if your pet is faster than the trapped pet, you're getting diminishing returns on the unfairness, as you're only getting one free attack rather than two, and the trap going of the turn it is placed is horrible. The best thing that might've come out of it is that it shows it's worth considering nerfing trap damage in an attempt to make it fairer (although i'm still a fan of making it interrupt rather than stun.)
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » December 15th, 2017, 5:23 am

Glenwood I was with you mate thinking Blazehound would be the go to. I also feel that traps have been changed they just seem to be running a longer duration much more now. Possibly rng but several people have mentioned it. I actually prefer the p/p hound now 305 is just average in the meta and you cannot follow up the trap with strong damage.

I still love the fel afflicted skyfin but think I’m in the minority.

It seems like they pushed aoe again as tcs (twilight meteorite is overbudget), pyraclaw and even Tinytron all have strong abilities. I’d like to see twilight meteorite balanced though

Glenwood

Post by Glenwood » December 15th, 2017, 8:07 pm

I know you’re a fan of the Fel Afflicted Skyfin but I actually thInk the Juvenile is a bit better. The Fel is just too slow and doesn’t hit hard enough after it loses its racial. The Juvenile can beat the Teroclaw and wild magic works pretty well with an immolation pet. Of course this is all opinion. But with so many Teroclaws out there, I think the Fel just isn’t worth playing.

Spinning
Top Rater
Pet Score:5763
Realm:Deathguard-eu

Post by Spinning » December 15th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Rosqo wrote:Glenwood I was with you mate thinking Blazehound would be the go to. I also feel that traps have been changed they just seem to be running a longer duration much more now. Possibly rng but several people have mentioned it. I actually prefer the p/p hound now 305 is just average in the meta and you cannot follow up the trap with strong damage.

I still love the fel afflicted skyfin but think I’m in the minority.

It seems like they pushed aoe again as tcs (twilight meteorite is overbudget), pyraclaw and even Tinytron all have strong abilities. I’d like to see twilight meteorite balanced though
Rosqo, I know you love the skyfin, but I agree with Glenwood. In the current meta Juvenile is better.

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » December 16th, 2017, 3:01 am

Poor fel-afflicted skyfin I still love you haha. It’s not very good vs fliers i’ll give you that.

Glenwood

Post by Glenwood » December 16th, 2017, 5:21 am

I had hope for the Bile Larva too! So much health and power, with healing! I thought they were a sure thing against all the undead pets out there. Turns out, with haunt/stall teams, You can't do anything. They are just too slow.

Dat Sneaky Marmot though! It's so awesome against the TCS and the Wicked Soul. What a fantastic pet! I am not sure it's a 7.3 pet though. In fact, I can't really remember when it was released.

I run a Wicked Soul/Sneaky Marmot/Frostfur Rat team against that WIcked Soul/Bone Serpent/TCS team and it wins every time. Switch out the Bone Serpent and replace it with a Teroclaw, and I still have a good record. Thank you Sneaky Marmot!

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » December 16th, 2017, 6:34 am

Yeah marmot is great, t1 imo. Once spinning gets on here he’ll hate on the marmot. I had to stop playing it as I was being copied by someone who used it on all their teams after a streak of losses vs me.
Do you run burrow? I find it’s the more offensive build than smoke bomb.

Glenwood

Post by Glenwood » December 16th, 2017, 3:23 pm

With the types of teams I run into, burrow is a terrible choice. I need that smoke bomb for twilight meteorite. I run the Marmot as a defensive pet in all cases.

Sile9
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Sile9 » December 19th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Another shout out to Fel-afflicted. That opening can be devastating if you don't have a good answer. It's particularly effective against minefield swap, clonedance, and Haunt teams as I can spread major dots freely. Just pair it with good anti-Flying and accept that it's served its purpose once below racial.

Shandu
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Shandu » December 23rd, 2017, 3:20 am

Biscuit wrote:
Rosqo wrote:You lost my interest at Teroclaw is a sweeper pet Shandu.
Amongst other things.
When someone is so wrong about so many things...it's not even worth the response.
Wow, who knew a *PET* forum would have such assholes in charge. And Rosqo...i've seen your videos, you lose to some of the worst teams/players I've ever seen, so if you and the other youtuber are meant to be the 'go to' pvp youtubers who everyone looks up to on this site consider me unimpressed. Just because all of you on here have the reading comprehension of a 2yr and cannot comprehend a simple statement don't blame me and start acting like a bunch of arrogant bitches.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 23rd, 2017, 3:39 am

Profanity is discouraged here on WarcraftPets, [profile]Shandu[/profile], as we are a family friendly site. For future reference, if it's impossible to agree, simply agree to disagree and move on. Personal attacks and insults are unnecessary.

Locking this thread now.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com