PvP rewards

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Re: PvP rewards

Post by Rosqo » July 14th, 2017, 6:37 pm

There are a shockingly low amount of rewards from PVP Pet battles when you actually think about it.
1.The weekly quest.
2. A handful of achievements.
3. 1 pet.
4. Minimal charms

Are there any more that i'm missing? I haven't included stones/XP as these are from pet battles in general both PVE and PVP the rates may be different however I don't track these to know or PVE enough to know.

Asking for other routes to the 5k achiev isn't really necessary as its not something Blizzard created so that everyone can just get easily to complete a collection. Its designed to take time and dedication with no quick wins.

If more rewards were introduced then as has been brought up balance should be looked at there is a general consensus Traps, Sunlight/photosynthesis & backline healing (Teroclaw) and Bone Serpents could be a little bit stronger than other pets or abilities at the moment. It would never stop players taking the easiest option using the strongest pets however so we'd all just be complaining about some other pets but some tweaking could help.

I do feel that increased rewards would increase the number of people playing pet PVP. I can't see why they cannot introduce mounts or transmog, yes it will have no effect on your pet battles but a mythic raider who gets a mount drop doesn't see an increase in their DPS/HPS/Surv but they still get those rewards. As long as they were themed appropriately eg the mount had cages with pets in on it somewhere it would be ok. The transmog could match the pet hat we currently have possibly have a net as a weapon it would just be a bit of fun its not going to help you pet battle but does it really matter? The rewards don't have to always directly improve or impact your PVP performance none of the current ones do really do. There's loads of rewards that have nothing to do with how you get them in the game already.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » July 14th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Biscuit wrote:Why would a PVP-style Family Familiar achievement be a bad thing for pet battles as a whole?
You never gave reason, just simply agreed with someone else that people would run "triple teams" or be "easily countered". Sorry, but that's not reason enough FOR ME not to add it into the game.
#1 I had to fix whats been written in capitals
#2 I never said it would be a bad thing for pet pvp
#3 Your not understanding why the [Family Familiar]-Achievement cant be done for pvp imho shows that you dont understand the pvp meta.
This achievement in pvp would mean you could play years to come without ever finishing it and as such is just a horrible idea because an achievment should be a carrot on a stick that is REACHABLE and not a bloody lottery.
Biscuit wrote:Bottom line is 1) it'd bring achievement hunters into the PVP fold
You think it does, but does it?
Biscuit wrote:2) it'd give legendary brawlers at least SOMETHING new to do
Until you have done it and you cry for more again.
Biscuit wrote:Why be against this? It would take almost no effort to implement.
Oh, so you are a coder at Blizzard now? (That is sarcasm for all the ex-eu folks who dont get that :p)

Another problem is - in the long run we will be at this exact same spot we are right now with you crying for more "pvp content" again.
Rospo wrote:I do feel that increased rewards would increase the number of people playing pet PVP.
But your FEELING is NOT a prove. Char PVP rewards mounts, transmorgs yet the number of people doing it is very low.
People tend to not like pvp.
Rosqo wrote: I can't see why they cannot introduce mounts or transmog, yes it will have no effect on your pet battles but a mythic raider who gets a mount drop doesn't see an increase in their DPS/HPS/Surv but they still get those rewards.
Yes a mythic raider gets a mount because he has overcome he hardest in game challenge.
That is NOT pet pvp and comparing it to a group of mythic raider sounds more like you want something just because someone else gets something while at the same time overestimating the participants of pet pvp.
As I said before its absurd to reward something like pet battles with mogs instead of (for example) new costumes for Pepe.
Rosqo wrote:The rewards don't have to always directly improve or impact your PVP performance none of the current ones do really do.
No impact? leveling stones can help you level pets and as such HAVE an impact when you start.
You cant just go and say just because you dont need something anymore its now useless.
And I am still waiting for some example of a reward that is
a) good for someone who has 800+ pets at max level and rare
b) has anything to with pet battles

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » July 14th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Drudatz do you have any ideas you want to put forward? You haven't liked a single one anyone has suggested.

Is pepe that random bird that's a toy or something? I think you're aiming pretty low if all you want is a new outfit for that thing.

For 800+ collectors

a way to earn currency towards the pets that can drop from the bmah containers? Basically the containers with just pets available at an excessive cost?

An item to reroll breeds

A few new extra pets pvp themed

Edit. Stones don't factor in how you play though and they are from pvp & pve it's not exclusively one or the other

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » July 14th, 2017, 9:43 pm

@drudatz. From your posts, I seem to understand that you are content with the pet-pvp situation as it is now, except for maybe a few things where you feel like no adequate changes could be made except if some core mechanics/rules of pet battling change by blizzard(such as increasing the max level of pets). I think that's great, and it is good to have opinions from people who are content with the situation as it currently is. All too often its easy to forget people are content with the status quo and get lost in the things one personally feels should be different. Just like PvP, petPvP and its achieves are not for everyone, and there are ups and downs to keeping it that way.

However, keep in mind that this is a thread to discuss possible changes to pet pvp(rewards), mostly by people who feel like there should be changes/could be improvements. Most of these ideas will never leave this forum, so it's not needed to shoot down ideas even if you feel like they are outrageous. Just bring up questions or suggestions for improvements if you feel there could be any.

Speaking of silly/out-there ideas, I was thinking of pokémon, and the direction they were taking. What about double pet-battles? You que solo for petPvP, but you end up getting paired off with a random person in Q, and so does your opponent. There are two active pets on either side, you select which one your pet is attacking. A darkness strategy might be crippled by a larger pool of counters, or even by your own ally running sandstorm or sunny day, while other combo's might find new synergy. Would totally mix things up.

Wootzy
Top Rater
Pet Score:5165

Post by Wootzy » July 15th, 2017, 4:05 pm

New pets as rewards will get me back into the queue.
Only if a few OP pets get tuned down first. But that's another topic. :P

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » July 17th, 2017, 11:06 am

Biscuit wrote:Are you familiar with family...familiar?
ofc Ive done it....
Biscuit wrote: I don't think you are seeing as you're confusing the concept.
If FF were given the PVP treatment, you would have to WIN 5(or 10 or whatever) battles in the queue (at max level) while using 3 fliers or 3 critters or 3 humanoids, etc. How is that unobtainable? O_o Especially for someone with 5k wins under their belt.
You DO realize there are MORE pet pvp people out there than just the 2 of us?
But hey ofc think only about yourself instead of all battlers. :roll:
Biscuit wrote:And as for "crying for new content", how is that different from ANY other aspect of WoW? I'll answer for you; it's not.
Ofc its not - on the contrary its a flaw so shouldnt the solution be to implement something that evolves and is always viable to do?

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » July 17th, 2017, 11:13 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a limited version of pet pvp. Add a special daily. One where there were limited teams of the day and you would go up against others using a team of the day. Then fight it out. Get a token reward for killing pets in these matches. The teams of the day would rotate daily. This could draw in peeps with smaller pet collections, and still be fun for pvp enthusiasts. Also, leave the current system in place.

New things tokens could be spent on:

stones to reroll pet breeds
having multiple pets out
a box with a chance at a some no longer available pet
a token to make certain pets tradeable
tokens to change pets color
a permanent pet battle bandage on a short cooldown

Just throwing out some ideas.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » July 19th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Milotha, I really love the idea of a bite-sized PvP daily. I'm not sure how to implement it, but anything that brings in more people and a wider variety of pets into some sort of PvP experience is worth a shot. :)

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » July 20th, 2017, 10:41 am

Milotha wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a limited version of pet pvp. Add a special daily. One where there were limited teams of the day and you would go up against others using a team of the day. Then fight it out. Get a token reward for killing pets in these matches. The teams of the day would rotate daily. This could draw in peeps with smaller pet collections, and still be fun for pvp enthusiasts. Also, leave the current system in place.

having multiple pets out

You have some interesting ideas there I like your way of thinking.
Daily pet pvp with bonuses and such for using certain pets would be interesting or at least different.

Tokens to reroll breeds could make for some new and interesting pets and unfortunately probably some new OP ones. I like the idea but it could lead to a very slippery slope.
Tokens to make pets tradable rewards doing pvp and collectors which is nice.
Tokens to change colors brings a bit of transmog and personal flare to pets which is nice.

A weekly ,heck maybe even monthly ,obtainable box from pet pvp with rare or no longer available pets could work. Maybe make it a bit like the emissary rep where one has to win so many battles to get one but can only get it once a month or so could work.
Some nice ideas here that could be worked with keep up the brainstorming

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 20th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Milotha wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a limited version of pet pvp. Add a special daily. One where there were limited teams of the day and you would go up against others using a team of the day. Then fight it out. Get a token reward for killing pets in these matches. The teams of the day would rotate daily. This could draw in peeps with smaller pet collections, and still be fun for pvp enthusiasts. Also, leave the current system in place.

having multiple pets out

While I like some of these ideas and these rewards would draw a lot of interest, would there be a PvE equivalent to get these same rewards? Your rewards are far, far better than anything available in PvE battling (especially the chance at getting a retired pet!) and thus would force collectors to PvP regardless if they want to or not. We already have that problem now with players being forced to do PvP WQs in order to obtain the faction pets and personally that's not something I want to see more of in the future.

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » July 20th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Peanutty wrote:

having multiple pets out

While I like some of these ideas and these rewards would draw a lot of interest, would there be a PvE equivalent to get these same rewards? Your rewards are far, far better than anything available in PvE battling (especially the chance at getting a retired pet!) and thus would force collectors to PvP regardless if they want to or not. We already have that problem now with players being forced to do PvP WQs in order to obtain the faction pets and personally that's not something I want to see more of in the future.
Pve pet battles already have loads of rewards it should be more balanced between pve and pvp.

Pve rewards are currently far better than anything available from pvp pet battling.

No one is forced to do anything in wow certain rewards are harder to obtain for some players than others which only causes frustration when it's something they want. If you pvp'd you wouldn't have an issue with the faction pets as it would be easy and probably a non issue.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 20th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Rosqo wrote:Pve pet battles already have loads of rewards it should be more balanced between pve and pvp.

Pve rewards are currently far better than anything available from pvp pet battling.

No one is forced to do anything in wow certain rewards are harder to obtain for some players than others which only causes frustration when it's something they want. If you pvp'd you wouldn't have an issue with the faction pets as it would be easy and probably a non issue.
So if PvP pet battles had far better rewards like the ones listed above, that's considered balanced? That just throws the balance off in the other direction, that's not balancing it at all.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » July 21st, 2017, 12:29 am

All of Milotha's new reward ideas could be applied either to PvE or PvP, but I think some of them would require Blizzard to make some coding changes, so maybe they're not too likely to happen.

P.S. Biscuit - you have a terrifying imagination! :)

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » July 21st, 2017, 1:49 am

Peanutty wrote:
Rosqo wrote:Pve pet battles already have loads of rewards it should be more balanced between pve and pvp.

So if PvP pet battles had far better rewards like the ones listed above, that's considered balanced? That just throws the balance off in the other direction, that's not balancing it at all.
The two you would want stone to trade pets and unobtainable almost certainly wouldn't make it to the game. Even if they did I would imagine they would be very easy and not take much time to do.

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » July 21st, 2017, 4:00 am

Simple solution. Make this also available via some other pve type event. Your concerns solved. Also, when I suggested a stone to reroll breed, I was assuming it would reroll amongst already available options.

Drudatz
Top Rater

Post by Drudatz » July 21st, 2017, 6:22 am

Milotha wrote:having multiple pets out
Works as pve reward doesnt do anything for pvp.
Milotha wrote:a permanent pet battle bandage on a short cooldown
useless seeing how easy you aquire lots of the pet bandages allready.
Milotha wrote:stones to reroll pet breeds
So we throw all balance out of the window? :lol: I am all for it! :twisted: as pvp only reward ofc :twisted:

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » July 21st, 2017, 10:25 am

Peanutty wrote:

How does a few changes like this throw the imbalance off? Doesn't pve already have things like the CT, wailing caverns, and deadmines to get new pets from which is the best reward thier is ?
What is the last pet one could get from pet pvp ? The one and only direhorn pet.
Won't they be adding more things like pet dungeons? So how will the balance be thrown off?
The point is to get more to pvp pet battle after all