PvP rewards

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
Re: PvP rewards

Post by Paladance » July 21st, 2017, 12:39 pm

Milotha wrote:Also, when I suggested a stone to reroll breed, I was assuming it would reroll amongst already available options.
I can imagine it being so nasty that newcomers could throw stones on MPDs and Idols over and over because there would be no blockade preventing them from doing so. :twisted:
I don't think it would happen but not out of any particular results but because breeds aren't official part of the UI… yet.

(And then you have base stats… Graves had a change of them, and there I'd see a change to Bone Serpent, if any.)

Anyway, a non-temporary reward for PvP that somehow enhances PvP would end with disgust because of a need to catch up, so why to care?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 21st, 2017, 4:34 pm

Milotha wrote:Simple solution. Make this also available via some other pve type event. Your concerns solved. Also, when I suggested a stone to reroll breed, I was assuming it would reroll amongst already available options.
I actually like this a lot as a compromise - the people who enjoy pet PvP would get their rewards faster or have more chances at it, while those that don't could progress more slowly but at least not get locked out.

Being realistic though, as much as the crazy collector in me loves the reward ideas you have, you know most of them won't happen. Having multiple pets out, yes please (I'd buy that from the store if that became an option)! Unobtainable pets, as much as I would love that... if Blizzard can't make a buck from it (like re-releasing CEs) they won't do it.

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Rosqo » July 22nd, 2017, 4:09 am

Peanutty wrote:
Milotha wrote:Simple solution. Make this also available via some other pve type event. Your concerns solved. Also, when I suggested a stone to reroll breed, I was assuming it would reroll amongst already available options.
I actually like this a lot as a compromise - the people who enjoy pet PvP would get their rewards faster or have more chances at it, while those that don't could progress more slowly but at least not get locked out.

Being realistic though, as much as the crazy collector in me loves the reward ideas you have, you know most of them won't happen. Having multiple pets out, yes please (I'd buy that from the store if that became an option)! Unobtainable pets, as much as I would love that... if Blizzard can't make a buck from it (like re-releasing CEs) they won't do it.
Unfortunately Blizzard won't ever allow the same rewards from both pve and pvp as you're right in that it would be the perfect solution for pet rewards. It would add more value to pvp by essentially increasing the rewards massively.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » July 23rd, 2017, 5:18 pm

Rosqo wrote:Unfortunately Blizzard won't ever allow the same rewards from both pve and pvp as you're right in that it would be the perfect solution for pet rewards. It would add more value to pvp by essentially increasing the rewards massively.
Here's the thing.

As time goes on, more and more people "complete the content" for PvE, especially since the Charms falling from everywhere have greatly accelerated everyone's roster development.

And then we have the shared strats and now that addon - which I maintain is morally equivalent to botting - eroding PvE anyway.

So the only continuation is PvP.

But while PvE progression is very well laid out and rewarding, PvP starts with a pretty offputting culture shock, and doesn't really offer a clear path after the Stunted Direhorn.

Changing systems might be the best answer, but out of consideration because of the investment, but maybe marking a clearer progression in PvP with at least equivalent rewards could be a cheap improvement that might pay off.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » July 24th, 2017, 1:38 am

Biscuit wrote:I'd love to see some sort of gateway/training wheels/holding of hands from battling NPCs to actual people.
Something less "scary" to the casual pet fan.
I'm short of ideas as to how that'd work though. =\
I'm not. :)

I've said it before; I'll say it again. When we need in PvE is a set of tamers that have modest AI in place of simple linear scripting. Nothing too fancy, or we wouldn't beat them. No Deep Blue, AlphaGo, or Libratus that we couldn't compete against. But tamers that are not entirely predictable. Tamers that don't always start with the same pet. Tamers that don't always make the same moves. Tamers that swap, depending on what pet you have out front. Tamers that you can't just read your moves off a guide for.

You couldn't carry a pet reliably against such a tamer, of course, but there are so many levelling gimmes now that some tamers that pose a challenge would be welcome, and would introduce PvE people who have been raised by the game to just press whatever buttons Xu-Fu says to the strange concept of thinking for themselves.

It is probably also the only way to stop that PvE-ending addon.
Biscuit wrote:And to a pet-loving, tree-hugging PVE battler, that might seem too daunting and/or stressful a task.
LOL! You forgot lentil-weaving, kitten-kissing, and yoghurt-knitting!

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:13143
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » July 25th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Interesting ideas here.

One way to keep the reroll stones in line is to just allow it to reroll to a breed that's available to that pet. Would be useful for those who lose the lottery on a pet like Foe Reaper.

One idea would be to have something akin to Mythic+ affixes. So you have a week where Undead damage is -5% or damage done to Critters is -5%.

Back to the OP, the one thing that would help the weekly is add some pet drops to it. Whether they are pets like the Pandaren Spirits or Raid drop pets. Maybe even a small chance at a TCG pet. That would entice a lot more people into the queue.

And I think the notion that it would make the queue more toxic is overblown. The FOTM players will always be there. If you bring more players to the queue I think it will tend to marginalize them.

The other thing you could do is have a "pet of the day" and reward 2x wins for using it. Pick infrequently used PVP pets and reward people for straying outside the box.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » July 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Harpooha wrote:One idea would be to have something akin to Mythic+ affixes. So you have a week where Undead damage is -5% or damage done to Critters is -5%.
Excellent! Have we had that one before? Maybe not exactly that, but something like it?

Anyway, I love that idea. We might need something more significant than 5%, but the principle is spot-on.

I don't want continual changing and re-working of pets. I hate nerf/buff cycles. But incentives to make us choose different pets from day to day, week to week, would be a significant factor in improving the queues!