search: strongest against, vs. calculated abilities

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us
Re: search: strongest against, vs. calculated abilities

Post by Uduwudu » December 14th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Peanutty wrote:Apologies if my overanalyzing turned you off to this mini game, but while at the core pet battling is pretty simple and straighforward, like most simple games there's little intricacies and nuances that neither numbers nor guides can show you, you just have to immerse yourself in it to find out.
Been accused of that a few times ... however ... in many cases it's not an "analysis" as it is more of a thought and idea, that could be just as right as wrong. I leave the analytics for those that are so inclined to play with numbers, including accountants, and though my mom is one, I'm OK helping, but I will not be an accountant!

The only issue, is that things change so much, with the swipe/change of a number, and a pet quickly descends into the non-use bucket. I mean, look at cockroaches/beetles and the equivalent, and how their numbers are the same as some rabbits, however they take way more damage, and do not have the ability to do any damage that is equivalent ... except the most stupid one ... 15 rounds of nothing, since most fights don't last that much! That's old code that should be removed or updated! So, internally, their numbers are different and invisible to us. Or there is a 3rd number that we can not see that defines something else, up to and including the percentage of the critical strikes and such, which tends to favor speed, and nothing else?

My concern, is also that "strength" here is probably associated with damage, when "strength" can also be associated with "defense", and avoid taking any more than 50% of the damage that is incoming, and I am not sure that here is where most folks define their game, although I can not say this about the PvP folks, since I do not have good enough eyesight to be able to do those fights, and will miss way too much in any given pet battle. My favorite part of all the Pet Battles against the bigger guns is the mitigating of the damage by the larger spells, and making sure that a few Pets do not get the upper hand on the first round, like that Sir can do on the Galveston fights in Dalaran, which make that fight very difficult, if you are not strong at figuring out how to cancel those out, or have the ability to see when that is about to happen, so you can block most of it. In that fight, your "strength" is ensuring that you take none of his big pops. PERIOD. And that gives you a very good chance of winning the fight and not get frustrated by trying 8 times and failing with combinations from hell, heaven, the cosmos and some very stupid and insane posts from wowhead, or sillyhead!